You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

No joke, I think they've pitched out, regardless of count, even on rookie mode, close to 30-50 percent of the times I've tried stealing this year.

I'm sorry, no one pitches out a tenth as much as pitchers in this game, and it's insane how often they guess right. I GUARANTEE that is programmed into the game, and takes away from the realism of it constantly. What is the point of having solid stealing attributes if the computer just pitches out and guesses right most of the time, anyway? I've played hundreds of games, and it's a real thing that needs to be patched, just a little at least.

8/2/2019 6:34AM PDT

Well there are logical times and situations in the game to steal a base. You know it and the computer knows it. Often when you are thinking about stealing the opponent is thinking it too...because the situation is ripe for a steal...especially with a speedster on base. Certain counts and types of pitchers also dictate when is a good time to steal. The computer takes this all into account as much as you.

8/2/2019 6:47AM PDT

No I 100% agree. I’ll be standing over there fir two out and it’ll be a 2-2 count. He’s never once pitched out or thrown over yet the first time you go to steal he’s suddenly checking the runner 

8/2/2019 6:55AM PDT

It’s always been like that, and I doubt it is fixed any time soon. Maybe by the time we get to PS5.  It must be too difficult to realistically program base running dues to the severe limitations of the PS4 hardware. /s

For stealing against the CPU I’ve had more success on 2-0 counts since they’re less likely to slide step or throw over when behind in the count. Otherwise, the second you click that button they go into anti-steal mode out of nowhere.  Even if you test it with a baserunner who has no business trying to steal 2nd.

Besides stealing it’s also pretty obvious how they programmed the CPU to immediately react to your input in other situations as opposed to reacting organically based on what is displayed on screen. Fielders know where to throw as soon as you change your input even if your runner hasn’t indicated on screen what he is doing yet.  The only saving grace is that beating the computer is easy so most of the time it doesn’t matter.

8/2/2019 7:17AM PDT

I don't think I've ever seen the CPU pitchout once you reach a two ball count.  Maybe still a slide step.  

8/2/2019 9:12AM PDT

I’ve never had a cpu slidestep or pitch out after the first two pitches, but they still do pick off occasionally tho

8/2/2019 9:18AM PDT

I never steal until there is 2 balls in the count and I have seen the AI pitch out numerous times. They do know when you are going to steal for sure but unless they pitch out or yooure stealing with a slower guy 80 and under, you should still make it

8/2/2019 9:26AM PDT

Has anyone had their runner look like he is "running in place" for a few steps when the catcher is receiving the ball? 

8/2/2019 9:29AM PDT

that would be due to artificial intelligence literally knowing when you hit that button. they can react in an instant before they should be able to, that’s how it seems at least. 

8/2/2019 9:31AM PDT

Has anyone had their runner look like he is "running in place" for a few steps when the catcher is receiving the ball? 

Comment by AikenBacon

yes but i’ve only had this issue online. very irritating especially when i get a good jump 

8/2/2019 9:32AM PDT

I have seen the computer pitch out a grand total of 0 times when I try to steal with a count of 2-0 or 2-1.  It was the same in last year's game as well, and all I ever play is vs the CPU.

8/2/2019 9:38AM PDT

Comment by AikenBacon

I've had this happen numerous times and It's the most annoying thing. 

8/2/2019 9:46AM PDT

No I 100% agree. I’ll be standing over there fir two out and it’ll be a 2-2 count. He’s never once pitched out or thrown over yet the first time you go to steal he’s suddenly checking the runner 

Comment by Speedy44
8/2/2019 6:55AM PDT

Its funny as hell, you can be up 25-0 on the computer with no stolen bases all game, hit steal once and they throw over immediately.

8/2/2019 9:53AM PDT

I think it triggers the AI, somehow, when you press the button to steal--there's no other explanation. 

8/2/2019 10:05AM PDT

yes but i’ve only had this issue online. very irritating especially when i get a good jump 

Comment by jmiller5757
8/2/2019 9:32AM PDT

I have literally gone and watched the replay so many times and like wow, when the catcher starts his throwing animation..... my dude does the running man.

Goes from being half way to the base to thrown out easily.

I haven't seen this done to any of my opponents, so glad I am not alone. 

8/2/2019 10:08AM PDT

I have literally gone and watched the replay so many times and like wow, when the catcher starts his throwing animation..... my dude does the running man.

Goes from being half way to the base to thrown out easily.

I haven't seen this done to any of my opponents, so glad I am not alone. 

Comment by AikenBacon
8/2/2019 10:08AM PDT

it drives me crazy bc it ruins scoring opportunities with my #2 guy up. i usually only steal with vizquel and ichiro so that means i have the heart of my order up 

8/2/2019 10:13AM PDT

it drives me crazy bc it ruins scoring opportunities with my #2 guy up. i usually only steal with vizquel and ichiro so that means i have the heart of my order up 

Comment by jmiller5757
8/2/2019 10:13AM PDT

I try to steal with everyone whose speed is over 50 lol. But usually only  SS Alomar, SS McCutchen, LS Yelich (75 SPD/85 STL) and SS Ozzie Smith have the green light. 

But I've killed rally opportunities when my guys start running in place when the catcher is receiving the ball. I used to think it was lag. But has happened enough to realize its possibly a programming thing. 

8/2/2019 10:40AM PDT

The thing for me is it seems like some of my guys get horrible jumps. The worst, for me, seems to be SS Rickey. I swear he stands there for a few seconds before going when, with his steal rating, he should take off right away.

8/4/2019 3:42PM PDT

The CPU always puts down the perfect bunt, or they can steal with anyone. I'm convinced attributes on cards have no impact while playing the CPU.  

8/4/2019 7:08PM PDT

I’ve expirament with this, even with Brian McCann, when I hit the steal button they throw over.. Brian McCann with no speed lol

8/4/2019 7:42PM PDT

Wait until two balls, the cpu never pitches out then.  They might throw over so dont leave too early.

8/4/2019 8:13PM PDT

Oh yes the cup does.  Got thrown out twice on 2-0 pitchouts in the last game I played.  I believe that if I were to try and steal 3rd on a 3-0 pitch, the cup would throw a pitchout.

8/4/2019 9:06PM PDT

If you want to fake out the CPU just hold down R2 and don't let it go.  Computer thinks you are going to steal but you don't actually go.  I have gotten so many pitchouts from CPU when doing this.

8/4/2019 10:17PM PDT