You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

I mainly stick to Rookie and Veteran modes. These effing “Turn Based Goals” have wasted so much of my time in my quest to get those effing 30 stars. It’s not about how to approach the D-Backs, Cubs, or Stros...for me, I just cannot win on the effing All Star level (D-Backs & Cubs), much less HoF against the Stros in turn 2 (although in my first try, I had false hope going up 1-0 only to inevitably get destroyed 1-4 due to asinine mistakes!! You ever think a certain outfielder is gonna head for the ball so you automatically press in that direction towards the ball when it’s actually the other outfielder that’s been highlighted and so you inadvertently send your outfielder in the wrong direction? And that ball was catchable... **insert grinding teeth and cursing here** Once that happened, the onslaught began and I lost, of course. But I digress...)

My question is this: How does one “Getz Goodes” at effing All Star and/or HoF?? Any tips are welcome and appreciated. Wait til you get 2 strikes, no matter what? Swing at everything (I can attest that that doesn’t work)? What’s the best way to unsuck at All Star/HoF?? So effing frustrating. This turn based filth is crappy for us Rooks/Vets. :/

Sigh... On to the effing next... Gonna try to beat the D-Backs on All Star again... 😬

Thanks for any advice.

Just in case, here’s my lineup in order:

88 Cobb, 90 F. Freeman, 89 KG Jr., 93 Ed Matthews, 87 Pujols, 86 D. Murphy, 85 A. Simmons (love his defense), 88 Piazza; SPs = SS JV, SS Ryan, SS Kersh, SS MadBum, 96 Cy Young

6/27/2019 1:10AM PDT

You don't have to play Houston on HOF, you can get to turn two on Veteran, maybe all-star. What you want to do is play the Cubs on All Star, and win. Then steal fans from Houston. That should get you some fans as well (of course you need to win) once your at turn two you should be able to play Houston on Veteran or All Star. 
The key to winning against the CPU is be patient, especially your first two batters. The CPU usually throws off speed right off the bat. Work the count. 
Pitching against the CPU I usually try to jam them, cause popup's. Or pitch high and inside, down, and away. Hopefully this helps you out. 

6/27/2019 1:29AM PDT

Conquest is a challenge on All-Star level for me too.

I had to restart the map like 10 times to meet the goals. 

Work the count, pinch hit for your starter often, even if they are pitching great. When you do get a man on, you have to look to steal, to put them in scoring position. Also, I would try to get some bombers in your lineup. 94 Vlad Sr. is great and cheap and 99 Duke can knock them out too and he's free!!

Good Luck!!

6/27/2019 3:21AM PDT

On higher difficulty levels,try to get the SP into the yellow fatigue (from green) in the top of the first (usually about 15+ pitches). For the lead off batter, don't even touch the controller until you have 2 strikes and pretty much the same for the #2 hitter. Work the counts and only swing on 3-1 counts if the pitch is down the middle. Once the pitcher is in yellow fatigue, the hitter's contact range expands and things become much easier - even on Legend and especially on All-Star. 

6/27/2019 4:18AM PDT

I did it the first try, I even got the Astros' stronghold on first try on hall of fame.

Get players with high vision on the plate and work the counts. There's no way you won't win. Eventually they'll throw something right down the middle that you can cash in.

6/27/2019 4:29AM PDT

I am not an amazing player but I did it last night on my first try. went straight towards Houston and played them in HOF. Peacock was their SP, he was very wild and gave me a couple of walks, and I just waited for him to throw in the zone and hit a double with bases loaded....I guess I could have been lucky, but the key is to be very patient at the dish....they'll throw a lot of balls. Just wait for a breaking ball over the plate.

6/27/2019 6:30AM PDT

Use guess pitch. Guess how high fastball over and over. Don’t swing until you see high fastball or have 2 strikes.

6/27/2019 6:51AM PDT

I mainly stick to Rookie and Veteran modes. These effing “Turn Based Goals” have wasted so much of my time in my quest to get those effing 30 stars. It’s not about how to approach the D-Backs, Cubs, or Stros...for me, I just cannot win on the effing All Star level (D-Backs & Cubs), much less HoF against the Stros in turn 2 (although in my first try, I had false hope going up 1-0 only to inevitably get destroyed 1-4 due to asinine mistakes!! You ever think a certain outfielder is gonna head for the ball so you automatically press in that direction towards the ball when it’s actually the other outfielder that’s been highlighted and so you inadvertently send your outfielder in the wrong direction? And that ball was catchable... **insert grinding teeth and cursing here** Once that happened, the onslaught began and I lost, of course. But I digress...)

My question is this: How does one “Getz Goodes” at effing All Star and/or HoF?? Any tips are welcome and appreciated. Wait til you get 2 strikes, no matter what? Swing at everything (I can attest that that doesn’t work)? What’s the best way to unsuck at All Star/HoF?? So effing frustrating. This turn based filth is crappy for us Rooks/Vets. :/

Sigh... On to the effing next... Gonna try to beat the D-Backs on All Star again... 😬

Thanks for any advice.

88 Cobb, 90 F. Freeman, 89 KG Jr., 93 Ed Matthews, 87 Pujols, 86 D. Murphy, 85 A. Simmons (love his defense), 88 Piazza; SPs = SS JV, SS Ryan, SS Kersh, SS MadBum, 96 Cy Young

Comment by Scratch1977

I might tell you something that you already know, but here are my tips against CPU on all star or HOF

Pitching

Throw strikes on your first two pitches.  0-2 and 1-2 are your goals against the CPU. The CPU takes a lot of pitches, especially if they are not down the middle.

That leads to my next point, aim for corner squares of the strike zone (not edge), but don't hit the same corner twice in a row.  60% of the time, my first pitch is a fastball down to the pitcher's hand side.  Then I'll throw a fastball up and in or a change up low to the glove side corner.  But I want this for a strike.  I'm not trying to get them to chase on the first two pitches.  Then throw a third pitch to a third corner.  It's not bad to double up on a pitch like slider down and away, but don't make a habit of it.

If a pitcher gives up a hit in an inning, take a mound visit to build up their confidence.  If they give up two hits, put in a new pitcher.  You have 7 pitchers to get nine outs.  Use them if you need to.

For Cubs Only: Don't throw Bryant a fastball down and in.  For whatever reason he seems to always hit this for a homerun.  This happened to me in conquest and MTO multiple times before I figured it out.  Fastball down and in is one of my go to strike one pitches and he owned it.

Hitting

There are a milliong threads about hitting.  I am not an expert, but if I were to suggest I would just say look in one zone until you get two strikes when you struggle.  On All Star, I would say bottom middle is a good spot.  This is also good if you (like me) struggle hitting fastballs, because you will eventually get a breaking ball down to hit.  That allows you to hit the low balls hard,as well as one that sits over the middle of the plate.

General

Stop playing if you're frustrated or switch to a different mode and then come back.  You'll get it.  This game can be frustrating, but it is a lot of fun.

6/27/2019 9:21AM PDT

I'm a pretty bad player and I did this last weekend. For reference, I'm 48 and have poor vision in my right eye, so if I can do this, you certainly can too.

I went for the Diamondbacks on turn 1, beat them on AS, stole fans from Houston on veteran, and then got to play them on veteran for their stronghold on turn 2. That game was a PITA, even on veteran. It went 5 innings as the CPU was making highlight plays throughout. I didn win in 5 though, so it was all good.

Restart and make your way to the Cubs and beat them on AS and you're there. The rest of the map can still be pretty annoying since the CPU is much more aggressive, but you'll overwhelm them eventually. I played Colorado and Seattle (I think; whichever is straight north from the Rockies) on veteran for their strongholds, and after those had enough fans to play the rest on rookie.

6/27/2019 9:33AM PDT

I'm assuming there may be an answer to this already on another thread but I can't seem to find it.  What are the turn based goals for the 4th inning conquest?  I finished the map and i've got 7/10 so far.  Based on this thread beating the Astros by turn 2 is one of them, what else am i missing?  thanks

6/27/2019 1:13PM PDT

I'm assuming there may be an answer to this already on another thread but I can't seem to find it.  What are the turn based goals for the 4th inning conquest?  I finished the map and i've got 7/10 so far.  Based on this thread beating the Astros by turn 2 is one of them, what else am i missing?  thanks

Comment by brody50

Beat cubs in 1 turn and beat another team in 1 turn (diamondbacks maybe). 

6/27/2019 1:18PM PDT

Thanks for any advice.

Comment by Scratch1977

This will be a long post so bear with me. Firstly yes you do have to face the Cubs and Dbacks on All star as you know. I'm not sure if this is how it is for you or not but I have no problem pitching it's just stringing hits together to score runs. If this is your problem I have two pieces of advice. 

1) if you aren't already using it turn Guess pitch on. I use it to guess fastballs down and in if its a lefty right matchup because it seems down and in is the power spot for most guys. If I don't get that first pitch then I switch to guessing fastballs up usually these are only singles or doubles but the CPU tends to throw a lot of them. If you see other patterns the CPU is doing (like Peacock throws a ton of sliders or Mcullers curve) feel free to guess those pitches as you see fit. It does take some adaptation. 

2) Use directional hitting. With the linup you have this will allow you to capitalize on the mistakes the CPU makes because there will definitely be plenty of hangers. I know directional can be taboo but it really helps against the CPU on higher difficulties when the PCI starts to shrink and predicting the next pitch becomes difficult. 

For the actual conquest part once you beat the Cubs or the Dbacks you never have to play another game above Veteran. All you have to do is steal fans from the Stros on Veteran and win. Then DON'T sim. You can play ever other game on your beeline to the Stros stronghold on Rookie. Reinforce that Tile and you should be able to play the stronghold on Veteran as well. This is what I did and it worked for me. You do need to make sure you don't lose any fans in turn 1 though or you may have to play on AS again. So either restart or play one extra rookie game to make sure you don't lose any fans.

I hope this all makes sense and helps! If you have any other questions I'd love to help. I'm no expert but I love Conquest. 

6/27/2019 1:29PM PDT

Comment by brody50

If you press square before you enter the map it will tell you all the goals. But It's beat the cubs and Dbacks on turn 1 and beat the Astros by turn 2. It's impossible to do in one play through. You'll have to come back for either the Cubs or Dbacks. 

6/27/2019 1:33PM PDT

YAAAAASSSSSSS!!!! FINALLY!! Just took down the D-Backs 2-0!! 1 down, 2 to go!!! Man that felt good!! 😄

Thanks to ALL for the tips!!!! I took EVERYTHING into account!! I already use directional hitting, but I was patient with the 1st 2 batters and only swung with 2 strikes. I put in guys with better vision (Big Hurt & 87 Posey). Murphy hit a beautiful homer and the rest is history!! My pitchers are pretty solid so they only got 1 hit.

Thanks again to the forum!! Appreciate the much needed input to “Gitz Gewd!” Next up will be the Cubbies! On to the next!!! Cheers!

6/27/2019 1:37PM PDT

If you press square before you enter the map it will tell you all the goals. But It's beat the cubs and Dbacks on turn 1 and beat the Astros by turn 2. It's impossible to do in one play through. You'll have to come back for either the Cubs or Dbacks. 

Comment by trfatboy22
6/27/2019 1:33PM PDT

I’m losing it.  I only started conquest for the first time last week and I looked at the goals but didn’t even notice the number of goals nor did I think that each goal corresponded to 1 of the 10.

thanks a lit

6/27/2019 7:55PM PDT

Hexxx Yassssss!!!!! Just took down my beloved Stros in 2 turns and listened to the advice to steal fans and get it down to Veteran! It worked!!! 😅

2 down, 1 to go!! Cubbies are next! Thx again to all who contributed! One more....

6/28/2019 1:53AM PDT

NOICE!!!! The pack I got from beating the Stros had the always intense LS Matt Chapman Diamond!!! Rock and roll!!! 😄👍

6/28/2019 1:56AM PDT

FINALLY!! Just took the Cubbies down and got my 30 stars and that new bat skin!

Man, that was exhausting!! Took 6 innings and like you’d all said - patience, patience, patience!! I worked the counts and took as many solid pitches as possible! The new Keith Hernandez card got me a much needed 1 RBI triple! Edwin almost blew it (go figure...), but Doolittle got it done in the clutch! 😅Cheers!!!

On to the next...

6/30/2019 3:08AM PDT

FINALLY!! Just took the Cubbies down and got my 30 stars and that new bat skin!

Man, that was exhausting!! Took 6 innings and like you’d all said - patience, patience, patience!! I worked the counts and took as many solid pitches as possible! The new Keith Hernandez card got me a much needed 1 RBI triple! Edwin almost blew it (go figure...), but Doolittle got it done in the clutch! 😅Cheers!!!

On to the next...

Comment by Scratch1977
6/30/2019 3:08AM PDT

Awesome man. Congrats. How many stars do you have?  How close are you to getting another choice pack?

6/30/2019 8:39AM PDT

Awesome man. Congrats. How many stars do you have?  How close are you to getting another choice pack?

Comment by MathMan5072
6/30/2019 8:39AM PDT

Thanks, yo! I’m currently at 275 stars so I’ll get that Ballin’ pack next and then it’s the choice pack and for sure I’ll be snagging Wagner! Stros all the way! 

Trying to work on more of those moments to snag more stars but they frustrate me, at times. Wish me luck!

6/30/2019 12:37PM PDT

Thanks, yo! I’m currently at 275 stars so I’ll get that Ballin’ pack next and then it’s the choice pack and for sure I’ll be snagging Wagner! Stros all the way! 

Trying to work on more of those moments to snag more stars but they frustrate me, at times. Wish me luck!

Comment by Scratch1977
6/30/2019 12:37PM PDT

Congrats man! glad to hear it. 

6/30/2019 12:42PM PDT