You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

This is valid. But there are a few problems. The study started In 1957. The time Ted was retiring so it doesn’t totally pertain to him. 

I was holding this back but I am going to throw this in. Most of Teds games had NO playoff implications. His teams were consistently 15-20GB. Whereas Joe D was always in a pennant race. He had more pressure at bats.

Ted hit. .200 in hotheadedness lost season suggesting he may not have been as good with pressure. Joe hit .270+.

Yes Joe was in way more post seasons, but it took Joe D. 7 post seasons to ever have one as bad as Ted. 

So in addition to a lefty advantage he was dealing with way less pressure and their is evidence to suggest he would not have favored better in pressure situations.

Here is a key thing to my argument. I think Teddy is a true great. My only argument is The contention that he was the best. To me it’s like comparing LeBron vs Kobe....yes both great. Not going to argue who is better, but neither is Jordan. In every other sport part of greatness is measured by how you did in great moments. Jordan, Brady, LeBron, Montana, Gretzky, Lemieux are all in part judged by what they did when it meant the most...I will add a few baseball players in that pantheon (Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Jeter, Reggie, Musial, Bonds, Pujos etc)

Comment by Maverick31762
9/10/2019 7:27PM EDT

We can definitely agree that I am not calling Ted the greatest of all time. I'm not comparing Ted to Ruth let alone to modern players. You can only say who was the best of thier era. With that you can probably make a comparison to how much better the player was compared to his peers, but there are just way too many variables to start comparing players across eras.

I don't know how much stock I can put into pressure baseball having an effect on stats, like they say, you play to win the game, I don't  know if I can buy that Joe had it tougher than Ted later in the season because Joe was in playoff hunt and Ted was not. Both were out there playing hard to win. But I currently do not have a good argument against it either, but give me some time to think on it. I still hate using anything team related to take down a player or build up a player, championships are team accomplishments and I won't play the fantasy game of saying what if Joe was in Boston and Ted was in NY.

9/10/2019 6:11PM PDT

We can definitely agree that I am not calling Ted the greatest of all time. I'm not comparing Ted to Ruth let alone to modern players. You can only say who was the best of thier era. With that you can probably make a comparison to how much better the player was compared to his peers, but there are just way too many variables to start comparing players across eras.

I don't know how much stock I can put into pressure baseball having an effect on stats, like they say, you play to win the game, I don't  know if I can buy that Joe had it tougher than Ted later in the season because Joe was in playoff hunt and Ted was not. Both were out there playing hard to win. But I currently do not have a good argument against it either, but give me some time to think on it. I still hate using anything team related to take down a player or build up a player, championships are team accomplishments and I won't play the fantasy game of saying what if Joe was in Boston and Ted was in NY.

Comment by nflman2033
9/10/2019 6:11PM PDT

Your first paragraph is my key point. 

I agree that my second point about the post season rests on some speculation, but good speculation:-)

9/10/2019 6:20PM PDT