You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

Not sure if this was mentioned (didn't read through the whole thread) but Jeter was a 5 time World Champ not 4 (1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2009). And anyone who says he's overrated, I would say the same about their opinion. There, I feel better, thank you.

Comment by magoo_1080p
8/26/2019 3:57PM CDT

Team accomplishments aren’t the only thing to base a player off of, it’s fair to say he’s overrated because of fans who swear he’s the best shortstop ever when he’s not at all

8/26/2019 2:08PM PDT

Team accomplishments aren’t the only thing to base a player off of, it’s fair to say he’s overrated because of fans who swear he’s the best shortstop ever when he’s not at all

Comment by NicholasHowardT5
8/26/2019 4:08PM CDT

This thread is 7 pages long. Show me one message where somebody said Jeter was the best shortstop ever. 

8/26/2019 2:16PM PDT

8/26/2019 4:08PM CDT

And who suggested that exactly? I was only stating that he has 5 rings because I kept reading over and over (incorrectly) that he has won 4. Also, I followed his entire career from game one and literally NEVER heard anyone ever claim that he was the "best shortstop ever" but I've heard the overrated nonsense hundreds of times which IMO is beyond absurd.

8/26/2019 2:19PM PDT

Not sure if this was mentioned (didn't read through the whole thread) but Jeter was a 5 time World Champ not 4 (1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2009). And anyone who says he's overrated, I would say the same about their opinion. There, I feel better, thank you.

Comment by magoo_1080p

Other 5-time World Champs:

Eddie Lopat
Paul O'Neil
Andy Pettite
Gene Woodling
Jack Barry
Johnny Hopp
Stuffy McInnis (needs to be in the Hall for his name alone!)
Ken Joltman
Dal Maxvill
Arndt Jorgens

Players Magoo_1080p Wouldn't Put in the Hall because they never won rings:

Barry Bonds
Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski
Adrian Beltre
Jeff Bagwell
Frank Thomas
Tony Gwynn
Ryne Sandberg
Clayton Kershaw
Ernie Banks

8/26/2019 2:25PM PDT

This thread is 7 pages long. Show me one message where somebody said Jeter was the best shortstop ever. 

Comment by sersimpleton
8/26/2019 4:16PM CDT

Did I say in this thread? There are quite a bit of people who I’ve heard say that 

8/26/2019 2:26PM PDT

Comment by sersimpleton
8/26/2019 4:16PM CDT

https://theshownation.com/forums/2-diamond-dynasty/forum_topics/149138-any1-wonder-why-derek-jeter-hasn-t-got-a-diamond-in-the-game-yet-a-ss?page=3#

cant wait to see you crying next year when jeter becomes the 2nd unanimous HOFer lmao. Dude youre pathetic

8/26/2019 2:28PM PDT

https://theshownation.com/forums/2-diamond-dynasty/forum_topics/149138-any1-wonder-why-derek-jeter-hasn-t-got-a-diamond-in-the-game-yet-a-ss?page=3#

cant wait to see you crying next year when jeter becomes the 2nd unanimous HOFer lmao. Dude youre pathetic

Comment by SaveFarris
8/26/2019 4:28PM CDT

Stating that he will be the next unanimous HOFer lmao does not equal a statement that Jeter is the best shortstop ever. 

8/26/2019 2:32PM PDT

Stating that he will be the next unanimous HOFer lmao does not equal a statement that Jeter is the best shortstop ever. 

Comment by sersimpleton
8/26/2019 4:32PM CDT

You’re right it’s just a really idiotic statement 

8/26/2019 2:37PM PDT

You’re right it’s just a really idiotic statement 

8/26/2019 4:37PM CDT

Agreed, he's certainly not a lock for 100%

8/26/2019 2:39PM PDT

How the hell can you say "Jeter is HoF worthy", "I'm not even trying to make the argument that Tulo is HoF worthy" AND "Tulo is the better shortstop" at the same time when they aren't compatible with each other? Good god, is all of Toronto still drunk from the Raptors celebration?

And, I agree that Jeter is overrated! But to say Tulo is the better shortstop is borderline laughable.

....actually I take it back. It isn't borderline laughable, it's just laughable.

STOP MAKING ME DEFEND THE MAN WHO TORE APART MY BASEBALL TEAM (for the 3rd time in my lifetime)

Comment by Brocktarrr
8/26/2019 12:43PM CDT

You're missing the point I'm getting at: 

For every post talking about how great Jeter was, stastically speaking he wasn't otherworldly. I used Tulo as a reference point because comparing what Tulo was doing in his prime puts in context that Jeter's performance was nothing god like.

And while we're on the topic, longevity and durability have a huge part to play in making the HoF. But let's not forget how rapidly injuries derailed his game; up until he left Colorado he was on a sure track towards a HoF career and likely would be a HoF player had he sustained his pace for 4 or 5 more years. 

In essence: Jeter wasn't an all-world SS: he was a very good SS who was remarkably consistent and sustained that pace for close to 20 years, but thoughout his career he was never the best at his position.

8/26/2019 2:47PM PDT

Comment by magoo_1080p

Bernie Williams for HoF

Trout is a bum.

8/26/2019 2:48PM PDT

Bernie Williams for HoF

Trout is a bum.

Comment by DUIaintEZ
8/26/2019 4:48PM CDT

Way to miss the point completely and then some. What in the world does this have anything to do with me making a mathematical correction? 

8/26/2019 2:56PM PDT

Bernie Williams for HoF

Trout is a bum.

Comment by DUIaintEZ
8/26/2019 4:48PM CDT

And “trout is a bum” Hilarious as he’s on pace to be the best ever 

8/26/2019 2:59PM PDT

For every post talking about how great Jeter was, stastically speaking he wasn't otherworldly. I used Tulo as a reference point because comparing what Tulo was doing in his prime puts in context that Jeter's performance was nothing god like.

And while we're on the topic, longevity and durability have a huge part to play in making the HoF. But let's not forget how rapidly injuries derailed his game; up until he left Colorado he was on a sure track towards a HoF career and likely would be a HoF player had he sustained his pace for 4 or 5 more years. 

In essence: Jeter wasn't an all-world SS: he was a very good SS who was remarkably consistent and sustained that pace for close to 20 years, but thoughout his career he was never the best at his position.

Comment by DUIaintEZ
8/26/2019 4:47PM CDT

Originally, the point you were getting at was that Troy Tulowitzki was better than Derek Jeter. Your bad take was roundly criticized and debunked, and now you're backtracking towards stating Jeter was good but not the greatest of all time. 

Comparing Tulo to Jeter is exactly the point I've said before, people actually underrate Jeter's career because everyone says he's overrated. 

8/26/2019 3:01PM PDT

Jeter was without a doubt the best designated hitter to ever play shortstop.

8/26/2019 3:03PM PDT

Eddie Lopat
Paul O'Neil
Andy Pettite
Gene Woodling
Jack Barry
Johnny Hopp
Ken Joltman
Dal Maxvill
Arndt Jorgens

Barry Bonds
Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski
Adrian Beltre
Jeff Bagwell
Frank Thomas
Tony Gwynn
Ryne Sandberg
Clayton Kershaw
Ernie Banks

Comment by SaveFarris
8/26/2019 4:25PM CDT

Dude, keep my name out of your idiotic example. Nobody said anything other than it was 5 rings not 4. That's all, never even slightly suggested that this should have anything at all to do with being HoF worthy. Just as dumb as dumb gets.

8/26/2019 3:03PM PDT

Dude, keep my name out of your idiotic example. Nobody said anything other than it was 5 rings not 4. That's all, never even slightly suggested that this should have anything at all to do with being HoF worthy. Just as dumb as dumb gets.

Comment by magoo_1080p
8/26/2019 5:03PM CDT

Welcome to the Derek Jeter hate show, where even stating obvious facts makes people react as though you're overrating him. 

8/26/2019 3:14PM PDT

And “trout is a bum” Hilarious as he’s on pace to be the best ever 

8/26/2019 4:59PM CDT

I guess I should have included sarcasm font...

8/26/2019 4:17PM PDT

Originally, the point you were getting at was that Troy Tulowitzki was better than Derek Jeter. Your bad take was roundly criticized and debunked, and now you're backtracking towards stating Jeter was good but not the greatest of all time. 

Comparing Tulo to Jeter is exactly the point I've said before, people actually underrate Jeter's career because everyone says he's overrated. 

Comment by sersimpleton
8/26/2019 5:01PM CDT

Not at all. For the time while he was healthy Tulo WAS better. The debate who's better versus who has a better career is not the same as who was better on the field.

If Jose Altuve ended up getting injured, and scuffled for the next few years before being forced to retire would you say Ian Kinsler was a better player than Jose Altuve?

8/26/2019 4:32PM PDT

Not at all. For the time while he was healthy Tulo WAS better. The debate who's better versus who has a better career is not the same as who was better on the field.

If Jose Altuve ended up getting injured, and scuffled for the next few years before being forced to retire would you say Ian Kinsler was a better player than Jose Altuve?

Comment by DUIaintEZ
8/26/2019 6:32PM CDT

Not even the great Troy Tulowitzki managed to post a season WAR above 6.8. Jeter did that twice, and had the better career. Please move on. 

8/26/2019 4:44PM PDT

Not even the great Troy Tulowitzki managed to post a season WAR above 6.8. Jeter did that twice, and had the better career. Please move on. 

Comment by sersimpleton
8/26/2019 6:44PM CDT

Likewise Jeter in 20 seasons posted a WAR above 6.0 3 times to Tulos 4 in 13 seasons.

I can cherry pick stats too.

8/26/2019 4:50PM PDT

Likewise Jeter in 20 seasons posted a WAR above 6.0 3 times to Tulos 4 in 13 seasons.

I can cherry pick stats too.

Comment by DUIaintEZ
8/26/2019 6:50PM CDT

Cherry picking? Jeter's best seasons eclipse Tulowitzki's best seasons. Jeter's entire career is better than Tulo's. Why continue such a debate? Jeter isn't the best shortstop ever, but people underrate him when they compare him to players of Tulo's caliber and others like Garciaparra and Reyes. 

8/26/2019 4:59PM PDT

Eddie Lopat
Paul O'Neil
Andy Pettite
Gene Woodling
Jack Barry
Johnny Hopp
Ken Joltman
Dal Maxvill
Arndt Jorgens

Barry Bonds
Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski
Adrian Beltre
Jeff Bagwell
Frank Thomas
Tony Gwynn
Ryne Sandberg
Clayton Kershaw
Ernie Banks

Comment by SaveFarris
8/26/2019 4:25PM CDT

He isn’t in the hall just because of rings it’s part of it.

any of those dudes with 5 rings bat .300 in the postseason and win a WS MVP?

jeter haters try so hard to deny him his just due. Here are the real questions for Jeter haters

1. do you deny he was an elite all time SS
  2. would rather Jeters 20 year career or the 20 year career your current Fav teams SS might have
8/26/2019 6:33PM PDT

Jeter was without a doubt the best designated hitter to ever play shortstop.

Comment by Beattie76
8/26/2019 5:03PM CDT

For all of those who hate Jeter this is at least a funny way to do it

8/26/2019 6:37PM PDT

Comment by DUIaintEZ
8/26/2019 4:47PM CDT

You’re missing the point. Jeter not being otherworldly is WHY people love him. He doesn’t have crazy number like Arod. Instead he was a guy with average ability who maximized everything he had to be the best teammate possible to help the team win. He found a way to cone up big when the team needed him.

Arod would hit a three run homer when the team was already winning. Jeter hits the clutch single the other way with two strikes on him to drive in the winning run. That has way more value than that three run homer. 

Inlike just about ALL the great SS Jeter was putting up his number in high pressure pennant races when games meant something.. 

Jeter was an Everyman who didn’t ever turn into Superman, but he turned into the blue collar hero that was just what you needed at the moment.

now here is a big what if. What if Jeter cared more about numbers like Arod did. Maybe Jeter stops doing is classic opposite field swing and decides to pull the ball more. He might have been a 25-30 homer guy like Nomar. What if he decided to take the juice like Arod or tejada. He might be a 30-49 homer guy. But that’s not what the team needed him to be. Just get clutch hits and that is what he did.

8/27/2019 3:50AM PDT