You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

What makes a player good? Is it consistently getting to WS every season? 

A certain lifetime or season batting average? 

Overall record? 

Just wondering bc I’ve been thinking about how I use to evaluate myself and others. I’m lifetime now a .290 hitter and thought about how 90% of my games are played against CS and WS players on HOF+... this season it took me 25 games to get to WS with 15 of those played against opponents of lesser skill than myself and I was hitting .340+ ..... my point is stats and record are deceptive based on what your average opponent is like and the average difficulty you play on. So my question is how do you evaluate players ? What’s below average, aaverage, above average, and elite to y’all?

8/18/2019 7:44AM PDT

I’d say getting to WS consistently is a good measure.  If you do that, you’re a good player. Definitely above average. You can’t be complete trash at this game and make WS. 

Even making CS means someone is pretty good, I think. 

Your point about batting averages and records aren’t that important. As you said, quality of opponent is a big factor in that. 

8/18/2019 7:49AM PDT

I think good players win 70% of their games bat above .290

elite - winning 80% of their games hitting above .320

of course this should go without saying that they’re in World Series and not winning 70% of their games topping out at wildcard..

Also, yes you can be trash and make World Series if you play enough games 

8/18/2019 7:51AM PDT

RS is volume based. I’ve played some really bad players with WS banners. I look at overall record (especially if they’re making WS), leaderboards, etc. 

Still really tough to gauge how good someone is until you actually play them though. 

8/18/2019 7:52AM PDT

I always measured it by if they win 2/3 of their games and have an .800+ ops

8/18/2019 7:53AM PDT

of course this should go without saying that they’re in World Series and not winning 70% of their games topping out at wildcard..

Comment by skepple15

I agree 100 percent, but I also look at pitching stats a lot too. I’ve played players who hit .320+ but still beat them because they just can’t pitch at all (predictable, miss a lot in the strike zone, just have no feel of how to pitch). 

I know players like miju and studman can flat out pitch, and it makes it harder to hit. 

8/18/2019 7:55AM PDT

If you don’t quit you’re all good. 

8/18/2019 7:59AM PDT

I asked this question to see what the community thinks.... now that I know y’all think a “good” player wins 70% of his games, makes it to WS, bats almost .300 and has an ops of 800+  It seems that MAYBE 5-10 guys on this forum are “good” players. Now it makes sense why everyone on here is always losing and complaining about lineouts or comeback logic or dda or bloopers or whatever it may be.... it’s bc y’all are ***

8/18/2019 8:05AM PDT

I asked this question to see what the community thinks.... now that I know y’all think a “good” player wins 70% of his games, makes it to WS, bats almost .300 and has an ops of 800+  It seems that MAYBE 5-10 guys on this forum are “good” players. Now it makes sense why everyone on here is always losing and complaining about lineouts or comeback logic or dda or bloopers or whatever it may be.... it’s bc y’all are ***

Comment by TroutDagoat

Big yikes..

8/18/2019 8:09AM PDT

Comment by skepple15

I think winning percentage and batting average are silly to use. 

Right now I grinded with Padres and Brewers to get Affinity. I did a similar thing earlier in the year with crappy Mets to get Reyes. I have played D level players trying to chase stars. Point being my batting average and winning percentage took dips so I could achieve certain things. However, when I want to turn it on and use my best team getting to WS is not that hard and a better reflection of where I am at.

however, this underlines a bigger point. I started hitting WS when I was able to accrue better players. So it’s hard to tease out “good” or just using a good team

8/18/2019 8:11AM PDT

Comment by TroutDagoat

Well with due respect, I fit that mould but I’m more proud of my 1.81 ERA.  I’m good but don’t exactly consider myself great.  I’m being modest here.  I have a great squad that helps but sometimes I run into people that demolish almost everything but I get by with my pitching.  I feel like I squeek out alot of close games which matters too.  

8/18/2019 8:13AM PDT

I think winning percentage and batting average are silly to use. 

Right now I grinded with Padres and Brewers to get Affinity. I did a similar thing earlier in the year with crappy Mets to get Reyes. I have played D level players trying to chase stars. Point being my batting average and winning percentage took dips so I could achieve certain things. However, when I want to turn it on and use my best team getting to WS is not that hard and a better reflection of where I am at.

however, this underlines a bigger point. I started hitting WS when I was able to accrue better players. So it’s hard to tease out “good” or just using a good team

Comment by Maverick31762
8/18/2019 8:11AM PDT

People rarely are tanking their record to grind.. sorry that you did but yes winning percentage is a good way to judge, not making World Series. People make World Series with records under .500 are they good players? People barely make 900 playing 70+ games are they good players?

8/18/2019 8:16AM PDT

I've made WS every time, my lifetime BA is somewhere in the .330s, but I can't pitch if my life depended on it (although I have been better as of late)

People rarely are tanking their record to grind.. sorry that you did but yes winning percentage is a good way to judge, not making World Series. People make World Series with records under .500 are they good players? People barely make 900 playing 70+ games are they good players?

Comment by skepple15

Do you consider yourself a “good” player 

8/18/2019 8:19AM PDT

Comment by Therealest_JB

Above average to good yes

8/18/2019 8:20AM PDT

Above average to good yes

Comment by skepple15
8/18/2019 8:20AM PDT

You’re pretty darn good haha. I always enjoy our games. 

8/18/2019 8:22AM PDT

Comment by Therealest_JB

Skep is just being a Prude, good and ELITE are 2 different things. Imagine making WS 5 times straight with something like a 65% win percentage and then saying you’re “average”.... I’ve played a lot of average players and no matter how hard they grind they’re not making WS 5 straight seasons and would have to be immensely lucky to even make it 1 or 2 times 

8/18/2019 8:23AM PDT

Comment by TroutDagoat

I win 2 thirds of my games and have a .900+ ops this year but I don't consider myself a good player. We have tough standards of good players but we're consistant about it

Skep is just being a Prude, good and ELITE are 2 different things. Imagine making WS 5 times straight with something like a 65% win percentage and then saying you’re “average”.... I’ve played a lot of average players and no matter how hard they grind they’re not making WS 5 straight seasons and would have to be immensely lucky to even make it 1 or 2 times 

Comment by TroutDagoat

I just don’t think I’m as good as years past, started moving to other games here and there which has taken away from the show a bit 

8/18/2019 8:26AM PDT

I win 2 thirds of my games and have a .900+ ops this year but I don't consider myself a good player. We have tough standards of good players but we're consistant about it

Comment by JustASeal0

Are you a consistent WS player? Play games on legend? Been there each season? If you are and have a 900+ ops you’re good, no way around it dude. Only way you’re not is if you’re playing games on allstar all year getting that 900 ops

You’re pretty darn good haha. I always enjoy our games. 

Comment by Harryhukari33
8/18/2019 8:22AM PDT

Always fun when we get matched up against each other my friend 

What about the guy who makes WS monthly using a TV and WiFi? 

Records don’t mean Shhh in this game either. I’ve beaten teams with much better records and lost to teams with lesser records.

theres so many damn variables that go into this specific game I think it’s quite hard to judge tbh.

8/18/2019 8:27AM PDT

I just don’t think I’m as good as years past, started moving to other games here and there which has taken away from the show a bit 

Comment by skepple15

You realize though if you use your concept of “good” there’s about 400 “good players” and about 60000 average or below average players..... that math doesn’t add up to “average” 

8/18/2019 8:28AM PDT

What about the guy who makes WS monthly using a TV and WiFi? 

Records don’t mean Shhh in this game either. I’ve beaten teams with much better records and lost to teams with lesser records.

theres so many damn variables that go into this specific game I think it’s quite hard to judge tbh.

Comment by Therealest_JB
8/18/2019 8:27AM PDT

Yea I guess you’re right, records mean nothing. Clearly if you win consistently you’re bad and if you lose consistently obviously you’re good 😑

8/18/2019 8:29AM PDT

Are you a consistent WS player? Play games on legend? Been there each season? If you are and have a 900+ ops you’re good, no way around it dude. Only way you’re not is if you’re playing games on allstar all year getting that 900 ops

Comment by TroutDagoat

Ewwww all star

8/18/2019 8:30AM PDT