You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

@Chuck

I disagree with HOF still being difficult to produce offense. Pre-patch I didn't fear hitters and now it's completely different.

@Mitch

I won't disagree that if you're looking at this game from a competitive standpoint there is too much "fluke" and good user input isn't rewarded as consistently as it should be. I don't know how you find that balance in a MLB game.

One observation: people seem to pick and choose what "realism" they want. BABIP? Oh let's have that be a realistic number. Wind impacting fly balls? Oh we don't need realism. Fielder booting a routine ground ball? Oh we can't have that in the game.

I agree that BABIP is too low and I am happy wind is out of the game. I just think a lot of these areas are subjective and the likelihood of having the vast majority of players strongly in favor of the current state is slim to none.

Comment by NDStew_32
6/3/2019 3:45AM PDT

I think the requests for realism in hard hit success while requesting no wind presence are consistent with one another.

Behind these are a simple desire for the game to be a competitively level playing field (equality of opportunity so to say, not equality of outcome) with as little randomness as possible. What these people (and I included) are asking for is to make the game as much of a pure meritocracy as possible. To that effect, wind presence can influence the outcome to a negative degree.

A vastly superior player who perfoms better than his opponent should be able to mercy rule him without the game holding the lesser player's hand. 

14's and 15's should have a vastly higher likelihood of producing basehits than lower hit chance and perfectly placed pitches should end up exactly where the user intended them to go to.   

6/3/2019 4:17AM PDT

Didn’t you get pissed off at both Mitch and I saying this exact same thing?...

Comment by skepple15
6/2/2019 1:04PM PDT

Chuck.

Do you not acknowledge that SDS's goal of pursuing realistic batting lines is just something that cannot be done while maintaining competitive integrity (i.e. punishing better players A LOT more than bad players for perfect input).

The skill differential between Rebel, Gunski, DGoss etc. and your average wild card slugger (let alone worse players) is already so monumental that if you wanted to achieve a realistic batting line for the best players, your average player simply would not be able to hit the ball, ever. 

SDS needs to understand that in order for the game to ever be E-Sports ready it has to reward skill and perfect user input. This will mean unrealistically high batting lines for the rare breeds that can move the PCI around like androids and react like jedis. It will also mean more mercy rules when these people face lesser players, but so what?

6/3/2019 4:48AM PDT

The idea of making the numbers produced in this game resemble MLB averages irl, to me, is the root of the problem.

It boils down to a conflict between fun/satisfying/rewarding gameplay and so called realistic stats.

6/3/2019 9:37AM PDT

Played 3 games today and I'm already frustrated out of my mind. I don't care about losing. But when I lose and didn't deserve to it really annoys me. The lineouts are still exactly the same. Only difference I've noticed is more ground ball singles because of slightly higher exit velos. Game is deleted again just no point in playing a broken game.

Comment by mitchhammond24
5/31/2019 2:37PM PDT

Three games isn't a large enough sample size.  This post was premature.  Play 13 games and then come back with your impressions.  

6/3/2019 9:43AM PDT

Haha ok man my bad my numbers were off, can guarantee you don’t get those numbers in the show but hey you’re welcome to believe the game is great even though it’s not lol 

Comment by skepple15
6/2/2019 7:04PM PDT

I am in no way saying the game does not have it’s flaws. I do believe it is a good game but I can also agree it could be better. People just exaggerate the small disappointments in the game so I decide to comment on them from time to time. I am not a super try hard sweaty player but I do like to play competitively and most of the time I enjoy it 

6/3/2019 10:06AM PDT

Chuck.

Do you not acknowledge that SDS's goal of pursuing realistic batting lines is just something that cannot be done while maintaining competitive integrity (i.e. punishing better players A LOT more than bad players for perfect input).

The skill differential between Rebel, Gunski, DGoss etc. and your average wild card slugger (let alone worse players) is already so monumental that if you wanted to achieve a realistic batting line for the best players, your average player simply would not be able to hit the ball, ever. 

SDS needs to understand that in order for the game to ever be E-Sports ready it has to reward skill and perfect user input. This will mean unrealistically high batting lines for the rare breeds that can move the PCI around like androids and react like jedis. It will also mean more mercy rules when these people face lesser players, but so what?

Comment by SefarR

As a below-average player I completely agree with this.  If I ever get around to playing online, I would hope that I get matched up with players of a similar skill level.  If I end up playing a great player I expect to get trounced...because if I was the better player by that amount, I would expect to be able to do the same.

6/3/2019 10:12AM PDT

Three games isn't a large enough sample size.  This post was premature.  Play 13 games and then come back with your impressions.  

Comment by xX_bG_Zzy
6/3/2019 9:43AM PDT

I’ve now played 13 since the patch and feel the same, satisfied? K thanks 

6/3/2019 10:23AM PDT

Comment by skepple15

13 is a lot better than three.  It's just funny that guys get on here and sling all kinds of mud when they've played one or two games online.  

6/3/2019 11:34AM PDT

13 is a lot better than three.  It's just funny that guys get on here and sling all kinds of mud when they've played one or two games online.  

Comment by xX_bG_Zzy
6/3/2019 11:34AM PDT

A player of Mitch’s caliber doesn’t need 13 games to see how the game plays...

6/3/2019 11:35AM PDT

Comment by skepple15

Ok, man--I don't care what caliber you are, the smaller the sample size, the less credible your observations are.  Plain and simple. Guys literally get on here 30 minutes after a patch crying about how bad it is.  These types of people clearly have predetermined that the patch is going to be inadequate.  

6/3/2019 11:40AM PDT

Chuck.

Comment by SefarR

SDS has always attempted to implement their simulation goals and realistic batting lines since I started playing with MLB the Show 14.  This isn't a new concept for them, but how things are being implemented with a new ball physics system is.  Ball spin was never a thing and how the ball reacted off the bat was akin to a wall, not a round bat.  With innovation comes obstacles sometimes.  I feel this is where they are at right now.

I think you have to be mindful when using data.  Sure the batting average on balls hit over 100mph are over .500 but you have to considered the rate at which balls like that are hit.  For fun I looked up hit probabilities for 2018.  I focused on hits at 98 mph or higher.  If you didn't know 98mph is the minimum exit velocity for a barreled ball, barreled balls are considered optimal contact.  In 2018 there were 33,524 batted ball events that went 98mph or higher, 20,021 of them went for hits.  The batting average for those balls was .597.  When you look at that number you probably want to cuss out SDS thinking they are crazy.  Here is the issue though.  There were 114,875 batted balls in 2018 so balls in play at 98mph or higher made up just over 29% of the total hits.  In an earlier post you stated you frequently see 7-10 15's in the PCI hit analysis.  That's for 3 inning games from someone who professes to be average at the game.  My point is in the game, especially now in 19, users are generating far more line drives than what would match IRL numbers except on HOF and Legend difficulty.  I feel like both, especially Legend needed a boost and SDS did that.  

I feel like using the phrases "rewarded" and "punished" are not being used correctly.  The reason that I say this is because bad users aren't being "rewarded" and good users aren't being "punished".  In this game there are only two guaranteed results, a homerun or a strikeout.  All other hits types are not completely predetermined to be a hit or not.  The hit type is produced by a combonation of the user input (PCI placement and timing) and the game factors (pitch type, pitch speed, pitch location, pitching user's input, player attributes etc.) and the engine assigns a hit type.  When a hit is triggered the ball travels at the direction, speed and launch angle based off these factors.  What happens from there is then determined by the fielders and where the ball is hit too.  Hit success isn't 100%  predetermined, because user input on the fielding side can easily disrupt this (We've all seen Steroidzzz take a route to the ball).  Good user inputs are being rewarded with more line drives and harder exit velocities.  This isn't really a predetermined SDS hates line drives thing though, there are other issues on SDS that cause this.  Standard OF positioning, lack of ball spin, OF speed are big culprits, HR/9 seeming to affect exit velocity.  The lack of top spin is really killing these lines drives, only forced fielding animations where the OF lets the ball drop or balls hit to the right spot that can get down before being caught go for hits.  The only real issue I saw with exit velocities and line drives was at HOF and Legend difficulty.  Exit velos, especially on Legend, were really lacking.

The new patch looks like it will help at those levels, but AS and below has felt like a sh*t show.

I don't think there is a simple solution that can appease everyone.  It's even more muddy in Events and BR where AS is the only difficulty and there is a larger chance for mismatches in player skill.  I also don't think SDS cares for the E-Sport aspect of things.  

The areas that are of most concern to me are the bad pitch misses with good inputs, HR/9 appears to affect exit velocities (it should be affecting the ability to launch the ball in the air), lack of ball spin to differentiate hit types, and OF speed being a little to OP.

6/3/2019 11:57AM PDT

Comment by skepple15

Understand that a larger population of players play the game on a different difficulty.

13 games or 130 games. Nobody is more right than the other. 

HOF says game is still broken.

AS says it's better but not perfect.

Can't we just agree that both sides have validity?

6/3/2019 12:00PM PDT

Understand that a larger population of players play the game on a different difficulty.

13 games or 130 games. Nobody is more right than the other. 

HOF says game is still broken.

AS says it's better but not perfect.

Can't we just agree that both sides have validity?

Comment by hoboadam
6/3/2019 12:00PM PDT

Oh gotcha, everybody’s opinions and complaints have validity now. Got it.

6/3/2019 12:09PM PDT

Oh gotcha, everybody’s opinions and complaints have validity now. Got it.

Comment by skepple15
6/3/2019 12:09PM PDT

I wouldn't be "me" unless I was passive aggressive. 

Unfortunately for you, I'm fine with who I am and try to see where other people are coming from on issues. Maybe one day I will "grow up".

6/3/2019 12:15PM PDT

I wouldn't be "me" unless I was passive aggressive. 

Unfortunately for you, I'm fine with who I am and try to see where other people are coming from on issues. Maybe one day I will "grow up".

Comment by hoboadam
6/3/2019 12:15PM PDT

That’s a laugh 😂 

6/3/2019 12:18PM PDT

Comment by skepple15

I don't think I'm thinking of somebody else.

6/26/2019 8:55AM PDT

Comment by teamJambon

Hasn’t there been like 3 patches since this? Is he not allowed to play anymore? Can never come back according to your logic? 

6/26/2019 10:30AM PDT

Comment by teamJambon

You sure didn't seem to have a response when I quoted you in my other thread so I'm not sure why you're bringing this up

6/26/2019 11:06AM PDT

You sure didn't seem to have a response when I quoted you in my other thread so I'm not sure why you're bringing this up

Comment by mitchhammond24
6/26/2019 11:06AM PDT

He’s bringing it up to be a hater, nothing more, nothing less.

6/26/2019 11:07AM PDT

He’s bringing it up to be a hater, nothing more, nothing less.

Comment by skepple15
6/26/2019 11:07AM PDT

The only reason I brought it up is because you said I was thinking of somebody else, which clearly isn't the case. This thread was to back-up my quote.

Also Mitch, I brought this up before you quoted me.

6/26/2019 11:21AM PDT

The only reason I brought it up is because you said I was thinking of somebody else, which clearly isn't the case. This thread was to back-up my quote.

Also Mitch, I brought this up before you quoted me.

Comment by teamJambon
6/26/2019 11:21AM PDT

The reason you brought any of this up was to be a hater, he’s clearly come back to playing the game. once you leave the game do you have to stay gone forever? Just wondering

6/26/2019 11:24AM PDT

The reason you brought any of this up was to be a hater, he’s clearly come back to playing the game. once you leave the game do you have to stay gone forever? Just wondering

Comment by skepple15
6/26/2019 11:24AM PDT

The annoying thing is he's a really good player he doesn't really have a reason to be a hater 

6/26/2019 11:28AM PDT

Hello SDS its your community speaking fix your game

8/1/2019 8:16PM PDT

Necro

8/1/2019 9:14PM PDT