You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.
171 3044 Active 6 months ago

You admit they are hiding it.

Did you read this part:

"Software developers typically desire for their software to engage users for as long as possible. The longer a user is engaged with the software, the more likely that the software will be successful. The relationship between the length of engagement of the user and the success of the software is particularly true with respect to video games."

Fig. 1C seems to illustrate my convinction about his game. It's how user input and output seem to be connect somehow.

If the video game developers themselves publish this is thier goal, why not believe them? Money is on the line.

This game manipulates you to keep playing, just like many others.

Another quote:

"[0093]

For example, suppose that the system determines that a number of users typically play the video game for less than 30 minutes and tend to succeed at an objective in less than two attempts over the course of a threshold number of play sessions and/or objectives. Further, suppose that these users typically stop playing the video game after reaching some number of objectives that require more than two attempts to complete the objectives. This number of users may be clustered together in a user cluster for users who tend to play short game sessions and tend to prefer video games that are not challenging. In contrast, another group of players who tend to play video games for two hours at a time and continue to play the video game despite objectives taking several attempts to complete may be clustered together in a separate user cluster. One or more machine learning algorithms may be used to identify the clusters of users based at least in part on the user interaction data for the set of users."

If you can't read I'll explain:

Basically, this type of feature can determine the types of people you match up with depending on what the software's goal is.

This is manipulation: plain and simple.

Comment by Chaideux
5/29/2019 8:10PM PDT

You’re so convinced they’re out to get us or something. Sure the matchmaking is manipulated to place us against someone with a similar skill set. That’s why there are ranks. But to think that the whole outcome of every game is completely randomized is mind blowing to me. 

5/29/2019 8:16PM PDT

Hahahahaha. Yes, this is just the first step of implementing China's Social Credit Score System. Start with the niche sports gamers and work out from there 😂😂😂

Comment by thizzlyadams
5/29/2019 8:13PM PDT

You got to start somewhere.

5/29/2019 8:17PM PDT

You’re so convinced they’re out to get us or something. Sure the matchmaking is manipulated to place us against someone with a similar skill set. That’s why there are ranks. But to think that the whole outcome of every game is completely randomized is mind blowing to me. 

Comment by huntersavv
5/29/2019 8:16PM PDT

No one said "completely"

-strawman

"Out to get us or something" ?

-out to get the most engagement, sure.

5/29/2019 8:17PM PDT

radio stations, tv networks, they’ve all used that kind of market manipulation method for a very long time! 

Success is enticing. 

5/29/2019 8:19PM PDT

This is my last post for the night, probably.

Overall,

I'd like to say some concluding remarks:

1) I am convinced SDS is proabably doing what these other companies are doing.

a) I have played this game for years and I can tell how different the game plays. Player input is minimized for sure.

i) for what purpose? The most logical is to maximize engagement and spending, like these other companies.

2) Video games have been used to study human psychology and motivations.

a) we are like lab-rats to these companies.

i) they adjust patches to find a balance between what they want and what we want.

ii) it is no longer simply competition

3) This game seems manipulative in the way games play out and the way cards are offered.

a) it is no secret these type of companies want to figure out (like Facebook) how to occupy the most amount of your time becasue that = money.

4) The Show has lost its soul since '16 imo.

5) I firmly believe # 1-4, after playing this game for over 7 years. I won't bore your with all the examples. That doesn't mean I don't have examples as my opponnents tonight seemed to think. Just becasue I didn't list every single example doesn't mean that I don't have them. These are my conclusions.

It doesn't mean I am 100% correct or that I have 100% proven them. But it also doesn't mean I am wrong or stretching the plausibility of such a conclusion.

Take it or leave it.

5/29/2019 8:25PM PDT

This is my last post for the night, probably.

Overall,

I'd like to say some concluding remarks:

1) I am convinced SDS is proabably doing what these other companies are doing.

a) I have played this game for years and I can tell how different the game plays. Player input is minimized for sure.

i) for what purpose? The most logical is to maximize engagement and spending, like these other companies.

2) Video games have been used to study human psychology and motivations.

a) we are like lab-rats to these companies.

i) they adjust patches to find a balance between what they want and what we want.

ii) it is no longer simply competition

3) This game seems manipulative in the way games play out and the way cards are offered.

a) it is no secret these type of companies want to figure out (like Facebook) how to occupy the most amount of your time becasue that = money.

4) The Show has lost its soul since '16 imo.

5) I firmly believe # 1-4, after playing this game for over 7 years. I won't bore your with all the examples. That doesn't mean I don't have examples as my opponnents tonight seemed to think. Just becasue I didn't list every single example doesn't mean that I don't have them. These are my conclusions.

It doesn't mean I am 100% correct or that I have 100% proven them. But it also doesn't mean I am wrong or stretching the plausibility of such a conclusion.

Take it or leave it.

Comment by Chaideux
5/29/2019 8:25PM PDT

1) You used "convinced" and "probably" in the same sentence. 

Lol

5/29/2019 8:27PM PDT

You all make some very compelling arguments. And honestly, I don't know how to feel one way or the other. I've had instances with a lead where the game slowed down my Kenny Lofton running a ball down in left-center only for it to slow him down too much and he missed the catch, allowing 2 runs to score and tie the game. It could be just bad programming or a well-timed forced mistake. I honestly don't know. Not the only situation it has happened in but what can you do. 

5/29/2019 8:37PM PDT

What I find troubling, is that it is the video game platform that has been used to analyze what motivates people. Y'all have your head in the sand. This information is invaluable to figure out how to control people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXyzpMDtpSE

This video is from 2015 and wonderfully explains how video games helped China develop the data for thier system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcTKWiZ8sI

Comment by Chaideux
5/29/2019 8:05PM PDT

WTF! My score would be 18 and I'd be on every billboard. They basically choose who you associate with. Those ppl are sheep.

5/29/2019 8:38PM PDT

Good thread. Id watch the live debate. SDS should send one of their people to participate as well.

5/29/2019 8:54PM PDT

Here’s the thing.

Good input outplays bad to average input

Good input vs good input plays a really good game. One slip up here or there can lose a game.  Sure things happen due to RNG but it’s not glaring because people who are good can play through it.  

When people are mediocre and they lose to someone who is inferior, RNG makes them all hot and bothered.  

Think of user skill level as a bell curve.  RNG becomes the determining factor to many people’s games on here. 

Comment by GapToGap
5/29/2019 1:27PM PDT

You are so wrong. So, so wrong. This game does not benefit skill like it should. You will get there eventually and see the truth. Give it time.

5/30/2019 12:13AM PDT

This is my most favorite entertainment since Kevin Hart's Netflix special.

5/30/2019 2:52AM PDT

If anyone is down for a real debate about this issue, Youtube or Twitch, I'd be down for a live debate.

Comment by Chaideux
5/29/2019 7:49PM PDT

Happy to.

Rate is $75 an hour. I require a $300 retainer, paid in advance. PM me for Paypal details.

5/30/2019 4:13AM PDT

Happy to.

Rate is $75 an hour. I require a $300 retainer, paid in advance. PM me for Paypal details.

Comment by Qeltar_
5/30/2019 4:13AM PDT

Damn, you're expensive.  What are your qualifications? 

5/30/2019 8:09AM PDT

Damn, you're expensive.  What are your qualifications? 

Comment by xX_bG_Zzy
5/30/2019 8:09AM PDT

I spent the good part of an evening attempting to have a rational discussion with Chaideux and maintained possession of my faculties.

5/30/2019 8:25AM PDT

There was this thing called the financial crisis in 2008, it wasn't just one bank trying to monetize on absurd mortgages to low income families. So yes if one company is doing something it is pretty reasonable to expect that other companies in the same industry would want to level the playing field with their own version of the code. Also if it's not called DDA, then what would you call the Dynamic difficulty adjuster for hitting in offline modes. There is your proof that it is actually in the game itself. It is a question of whether there is a hidden leak of that into RS. I mostly think its a mixture of things that give us the feeling of DDA, like PCI changing sizes, Quirks, then the Pitchers H/9 and HR/9. There is just too much software influence being thrown at batting.

5/31/2019 6:13AM PDT

Psuedointellectual as stated before:

P1) errors, pitch location results, game situation, hitting timing results, momentum swings often happen in favor of the team that's down.

P2) Companies are on record that player engagement is desired and that "churn" is undesireable (one way they admit "churn" happens is by difficulty being too high)

Conclusion) SDS purposely keeps game close to reduce perception of difficulty and therfore reduce churn and increse engagment.

Comment by Chaideux
5/29/2019 4:38PM PDT

"The meaning of momentum-swinging in this context, means a particular turning point in the battle. The phrase 'momentum-swinging battles' conveys that before, one group in the battle had the upper hand, but now, the other group are more powerful."

TBH momentum swings ONLY favor the team/side that is down.  Otherwise, there isn't a change in momentum.  Get it?

5/31/2019 7:03AM PDT

" Also if it's not called DDA, then what would you call the Dynamic difficulty adjuster for hitting in offline modes. There is your proof that it is actually in the game itself. "

Actually, even this is false.

The dynamic difficulty in offline modes is not at all like DDA. It's basically an automatic version of manually changing the "standard" difficulties when you find the game too easy or too hard.

5/31/2019 7:13AM PDT

I just went 12-0 to get to World Series so I’d like to thank the guys at SDS for allowing that to happen as you know “comeback logic” or the “keep games close logic” or “DDA” are what decides games. So thanks boys I really appreciate you giving me this opportunity! Check is in the mail you guys should be expecting it soon.

5/31/2019 8:02AM PDT

This is how OP plays baseball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZHwYuv3sAM

5/31/2019 8:30AM PDT