You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

This post is intended for the strictly off line grinder. This is totally separate from online play and has nothing to do with it.

After watching the rollout for the 2nd Inning program in yesterday's stream, I came to the conclusion that SDS will more likely than not will not be adding any stat based missions or programs to the game this year. They have fully embraced the concept of Moments and are doing away with the program or arc type missions of years past.

These games are planned out months ahead of time, so the notion of adding stat missions on the fly seems far fetched. Remember last year the huge gap between the 1st half of career arcs and the 2nd half that introduced the remaining arcs and immortals? I would wager that they spent most of their time since the game released until that new content dropped simply working on the missions and all of the coding needed. So just saying they can easily create a new batch of stat based missions is not that simple.

I am not a programmer but it cannot be easy telling the game to add up X stat(s) by X type player(s) and once a certain numbers are hit reward the user with this certain card.

So I am sad to say the grind is gone, and I know that is what many gamers enjoyed about the game. Yes, I know inning 2 drops today, but I am not looking forward to another conquest map and some more moments. I find myself playing less and less everyday and that is something I never did last year or in 17.

There are some of you that love moments and I am truly happy for you, but the moment lovers seem to be in the minority based on what I see on this and other boards.

I know that I am not alone in saying that my interest and desire to play this once great game is waning everyday. 

The beauty of this game was that there was not one way to play the game, an offline grinder could get the same amount of enjoyment as an online player. And the guys that played both got the best of both worlds.

But with the patches supposedly ruining online play and the offline grind being gone, people will stop playing this game and that is not good for any of us.

4/19/2019 6:09AM PDT

I’m a offline player. I don’t mind the moments. It’s at least more content. 

Maybe add the cpu vs like in 17. 

4/19/2019 6:31AM PDT

I’m a offline player. I don’t mind the moments. It’s at least more content. 

Maybe add the cpu vs like in 17. 

Comment by SurfinSantaCruz
4/19/2019 6:31AM PDT

You can play Vs the CPU. You just have to go into the other modes where Extra Innings are and there's an option there.

4/19/2019 6:36AM PDT

Only SDS knows how popular moments really are which I am sure they can track the traffic for them. Judging the exciement for them on a few forums will not be accurate as the people not enjoying them are more likely to come out and post about their displeasure. The people loving the grind vs cpu offline and hating moments could very well be just a vocal minority.

I am in the opposite camp as you. Last year after seeing how much grinding it would take to get certain cards it drew me away from the game. I got burned out on grinding just the first months worth of missions last year and they just kept adding more insane grinds.

4/19/2019 6:40AM PDT

I completely disagree with you.  They set this game up so that everys single game mode you play helps with the grind.  Some of the best cards in the game can be had simply through the xp rewards program, and you gain xp literally from everything you play.  Wanna play a quick exhibition vs computer? Xp! Franchise game? Xp! RTTS game? Xp! It's all helping your dd team out.  You can even still play your dd team vs comp.  There's absolutely no need to have to hit 500 hrs in diamond dynasty.  I wasted soooo much time in '17 playing against the computer on rookie at polo grounds just so I could rack up stats.  You want to call that the grind, that's fine.  But to me, it was boring as hell.  I've had so much more fun with this years diamond dynasty, and I've barely even played online yet.  3 games in ranked seasons, and a handful of events and br games. 

4/19/2019 6:43AM PDT

I completely disagree with you.  They set this game up so that everys single game mode you play helps with the grind.  Some of the best cards in the game can be had simply through the xp rewards program, and you gain xp literally from everything you play.  Wanna play a quick exhibition vs computer? Xp! Franchise game? Xp! RTTS game? Xp! It's all helping your dd team out.  You can even still play your dd team vs comp.  There's absolutely no need to have to hit 500 hrs in diamond dynasty.  I wasted soooo much time in '17 playing against the computer on rookie at polo grounds just so I could rack up stats.  You want to call that the grind, that's fine.  But to me, it was boring as hell.  I've had so much more fun with this years diamond dynasty, and I've barely even played online yet.  3 games in ranked seasons, and a handful of events and br games. 

Comment by BigBlue1090

**standing ovation gif**

very well said! 

4/19/2019 6:45AM PDT

Most of the long-term grinds that people hated last year have been replaced by something much better - the XP Reward Path. It's short and medium term missions that I enjoyed in 18 and I'm highly disappointed that those are gone as well. Ironically, the only 18-style mission left is more like the ones we hated - mindlessly grinding innings for team affinity. Conquest is fine, but at some point I'm going to want to see my home uniforms, use my stadium cards and play 9-inning games for something better than an innings grind.

**standing ovation gif**

very well said! 

Comment by MoBigDaddyDongs

Now there is no reason to even play 9 inning games. Unless you're grinding out affinity innings, in which case you just bunt it out since winning over losing doesn't matter. 

Last years stat grinds were way overboard, but replacing them with absolutely nothing isn't a real solution.

4/19/2019 6:54AM PDT

I mostly do online but one thing I miss this year is the individual player programs. The cards from XP are nice and all but what if I don’t like/want any of those guys. Too bad, they are the only choice. With the player programs and the amount that were in 18 I choose 3,4, even 5 guys I wanted really bad and work on they’re programs while playing the game pretty much anywhere, I miss those programs. 

Hardly touched offline this year. I’ll play a couple RS games a day and call it quits because not much else in the game interests me. 

4/19/2019 6:55AM PDT

The grind is dead.

Long live the even-more-boring grind.

4/19/2019 6:57AM PDT

Comment by BigBlue1090

Exactly this. Let's not go back to the days of needing to get 200ip with Babe Ruth. 

4/19/2019 6:59AM PDT

Comment by BigBlue1090

The XP path is good, but it's a long-term reward path. Moments replaced the shorter-term objectives, leaving little for DD. Playing for the sole purpose of gaining XP isn't interesting enough to me.

People did the long grinds on Play vs. CPU because it was the path of least resistance. Replacing it with a more structured, more substantial game mode such as some sort of offline season mode would've been a great idea IMO.

4/19/2019 7:00AM PDT

I am an offline player only as well.  I'm not crazy about Moments in their current format (mostly becuase of the difficulty levels being whacked, power nerfed and being so repetitive...but........I do think that the XP reward path is a great thing.  

I liked grinding out player stats with the career arcs and team affinity....but some of it was just brutal, specially the one game missions....so really glad that's gone.

Like others have said, we can play offline (and most other modes for that matter) and gain XP for rewards...and that part is great, since we can play anyone on our DD teams to do that.  And I love the Conquest Maps this year.  I hope that SDS continues to roll more of these out because they are a ton of fun with nice rewards.

One thing I would fix is team affinity.  While I am grateful that it is pretty easy to get to 50% on them to get some very nice cards just by doing exchanges....I think think that they should have have a second and more valuable card at 100%, beucase once you get to 50%...there just is not much reason to grind our Team affinity anymore.....if they had done his, it would have given more incentive to use players from you favorite teams to get better cards.

Other than that.....I like what they have done.....just may need a few tweaks to perfect.

4/19/2019 7:04AM PDT

The XP path is good, but it's a long-term reward path. Moments replaced the shorter-term objectives, leaving little for DD. Playing for the sole purpose of gaining XP isn't interesting enough to me.

People did the long grinds on Play vs. CPU because it was the path of least resistance. Replacing it with a more structured, more substantial game mode such as some sort of offline season mode would've been a great idea IMO.

Comment by omegaminus_sk
4/19/2019 7:00AM PDT

Exactly this. Moments isn't a replacement for 9 inning games with your DD team. Instead of burying it in menus they should have built an offline season mode around it, with rewards.

4/19/2019 7:06AM PDT

This post is intended for the strictly off line grinder. This is totally separate from online play and has nothing to do with it.

After watching the rollout for the 2nd Inning program in yesterday's stream, I came to the conclusion that SDS will more likely than not will not be adding any stat based missions or programs to the game this year. They have fully embraced the concept of Moments and are doing away with the program or arc type missions of years past.

These games are planned out months ahead of time, so the notion of adding stat missions on the fly seems far fetched. Remember last year the huge gap between the 1st half of career arcs and the 2nd half that introduced the remaining arcs and immortals? I would wager that they spent most of their time since the game released until that new content dropped simply working on the missions and all of the coding needed. So just saying they can easily create a new batch of stat based missions is not that simple.

I am not a programmer but it cannot be easy telling the game to add up X stat(s) by X type player(s) and once a certain numbers are hit reward the user with this certain card.

So I am sad to say the grind is gone, and I know that is what many gamers enjoyed about the game. Yes, I know inning 2 drops today, but I am not looking forward to another conquest map and some more moments. I find myself playing less and less everyday and that is something I never did last year or in 17.

There are some of you that love moments and I am truly happy for you, but the moment lovers seem to be in the minority based on what I see on this and other boards.

I know that I am not alone in saying that my interest and desire to play this once great game is waning everyday. 

The beauty of this game was that there was not one way to play the game, an offline grinder could get the same amount of enjoyment as an online player. And the guys that played both got the best of both worlds.

But with the patches supposedly ruining online play and the offline grind being gone, people will stop playing this game and that is not good for any of us.

Comment by ItsaCanesthing
4/19/2019 6:09AM PDT

I wouldn't count the possibility out yet. I do believe they read every post on here and take thoughtfully written and articulate posts to heart. They hear the voices of the grinders, they hear the voices of the competitive WS players, the casual WC players, the RTTS players etc. Eventually I do believe they will have stat-based/positional/card-type grinds available eventually.

Maybe they will have a wave of immortal/SS players tied to moments where you have two branches. the first half is complete the babe ruth career moments. The second half maybe is collect any 3 out of 5 LF SS cards. (some can be bought and others can be grinded for). This feels like a legitimate possibility and given that it seems this year they went more towards giving players options I wouldn't be surprised if now you could either lock in your SS cards you earned through XP rewards or through moment grinding or through 1st inning grinding or thorugh buying on the market or through WS rewards or through playing out positional grinds. and if you get 3 of them you unlock immortal ruth or whatever.

4/19/2019 7:08AM PDT

I am an offline player only as well.  I'm not crazy about Moments in their current format (mostly becuase of the difficulty levels being whacked, power nerfed and being so repetitive...but........I do think that the XP reward path is a great thing.  

I liked grinding out player stats with the career arcs and team affinity....but some of it was just brutal, specially the one game missions....so really glad that's gone.

Like others have said, we can play offline (and most other modes for that matter) and gain XP for rewards...and that part is great, since we can play anyone on our DD teams to do that.  And I love the Conquest Maps this year.  I hope that SDS continues to roll more of these out because they are a ton of fun with nice rewards.

One thing I would fix is team affinity.  While I am grateful that it is pretty easy to get to 50% on them to get some very nice cards just by doing exchanges....I think think that they should have have a second and more valuable card at 100%, beucase once you get to 50%...there just is not much reason to grind our Team affinity anymore.....if they had done his, it would have given more incentive to use players from you favorite teams to get better cards.

Other than that.....I like what they have done.....just may need a few tweaks to perfect.

Comment by ebbets1957
4/19/2019 7:04AM PDT

i like the idea of having a second, better player at 100. maybe like leave the rewards as is at 50, but then at 100 make it a sig series card for each team.  one of the best players ever to play for each franchise would be cool.  an offline season mode for dd would be awesome as well.  for that matter, a shortened, online season with dd teams would be pretty cool too.

4/19/2019 7:10AM PDT

I hate moments personally and will be completing the bare minimum all year. That said, I’m a touch confused by all the complaints about offline grinding being dead. As many have said, you can still use your DD team to play vs CPU in any difficulty level, thereby earning XP towards free stubs, equipment, audio effects and players, some of which - if not most! - are the most desirable cards to appear in the game over the last few years. If you want to set yourself a target to hit 25 triple, then you can do that offline vs CPU. The only difference is there’s nothing FORCING anyone to do this. Sure, there’s no little box on your screen that says 11/25 doubles remaining, or no 7.5k stubs, say, when you hit the target you’ve set, but you’ll have been rewarded for the process with stubs and XP simply by playing the game anyway. They didn’t remove anything like that from the game, they just made it so it isn’t mandatory for everyone who doesn’t find it enjoyable. Again, there is nothing stopping you from grinding vs CPU if that’s your preferred method of play. 

4/19/2019 7:15AM PDT

Again, there is nothing stopping you from grinding vs CPU if that’s your preferred method of play. 

As I said, people only did Play Vs. CPU because it was the easiest way to get missions done, not because they genuinely enjoyed it the most. Getting a new player every 10-15 levels in the XP grind is too long-term to be a primary goal for me and most people, I would wager.

Having several different immediate objectives and having incentive to use all sorts of different cards on my team was interesting and entertaining to me and that's all gone.

4/19/2019 7:22AM PDT

2 criticisms:

1) I don't know anybody who actually enjoys Moments

2) The XP grind sounds good now but what happens in a couple of months when everybody is at 100 diamond? That's why I really don't care about the XP "grind," I'm going to get to those levels eventually.

Also, can people stop comparing the Moments to grinds for 99 players? Compare them to what they are more like, the grinds for the program player cards. I would rather grind for Don Sutton than these moments for Wilie Mays.

4/19/2019 7:29AM PDT

2 criticisms:

2) The XP grind sounds good now but what happens in a couple of months when everybody is at 100 diamond? That's why I really don't care about the XP "grind," I'm going to get to those levels eventually.

Also, can people stop comparing the Moments to grinds for 99 players? Compare them to what they are more like, the grinds for the program player cards. I would rather grind for Don Sutton than these moments for Wilie Mays.

Comment by ag1982

Moments are better than last year and I'll tell you why.  Last year you had to get the player into your lineup and try and get whatever stats you needed for him - some were easy and some were awful.  Moments boils it down to ONLY playing as that player, none of the other crap.  Distills everything down and makes grinding for the stats needed MUCH easier. 

I love what they've done this year - last year I had to have a whole spreadsheet tracking all the stats I needed from what players and it was annoying as heck. 

4/19/2019 7:40AM PDT

2 criticisms:

Comment by ag1982

I enjoy moments although I love challenges and obsess over completing them. I do that in any game. I use to trophy hunt but don't do it as much anymore, but I love the feeling when I finally complete something that may have taken me multiple tries.

4/19/2019 7:46AM PDT

Now there is no reason to even play 9 inning games. Unless you're grinding out affinity innings, in which case you just bunt it out since winning over losing doesn't matter. 

Last years stat grinds were way overboard, but replacing them with absolutely nothing isn't a real solution.

Comment by maskedgrappler
4/19/2019 6:54AM PDT

Completely agree. It’s like they just went from one extreme to the other. I play some online but I don’t always have the time for it and I have no idea what an offline player does to enjoy this game. There is not a single reason to try against the CPU and you can be beat conquest without ever playing above rookie, which is neither challenging nor particularly entertaining when none of the stats count towards anything. The only stat that matters is innings which, coincidentally, was the single stat that frustrated people the most last year. Then they replaced single game missions with moments, which are 10X more frustrating. Even just bringing back monthly missions would be enough to placate most people I imagine but i think you’re right, there will never be a reason to hit a double against the CPU this year.

4/19/2019 7:51AM PDT

" That said, I’m a touch confused by all the complaints about offline grinding being dead. As many have said, you can still use your DD team to play vs CPU in any difficulty level..."

Because there's really no point in doing so.

People don't want to do things for no reason.

4/19/2019 7:51AM PDT

Moments are pure, distilled garbage. Nerfed player stats, lying about difficulty, and nothing to show for it if you fail.

4/19/2019 7:54AM PDT

I think that most of us agree that some of the grind last year was over the top. I never got any of the Immortal relievers because I could never get to 200 saves/holds or whatever it was. I got some immortals, but since I work full time and have a family, I can't play as much as others.

I am a strictly offline player so I really did enjoy some of the smaller grinding like 'get X  amount of hits with Veteran players' this month. It made me use cards that I wouldn't have used otherwise. 

What kills me about 'Moments' is in games where you use your actual team, they don't count for the affinity programs. That makes me not want to play a 9 inning game against the bosses because I won't get any innings towards players that I actually want to collect. Some other moments are actually fun, but the ones that are about hitting Homers are painful...

4/19/2019 7:55AM PDT