You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

I posted this thread about 2 weeks ago, praising SDS for delivering a truly fantastic online game: https://theshownation.com/forums/2-diamond-dynasty/forum_topics/132647-sds-please-don-t-change-hitting-or-pitching-in-online-play

Since then, something has drastically changed.  Pitching is no longer as effective as it was.  Lineouts are a constant.  What changed??  🤷🏼‍♂️

4/18/2019 9:18AM PDT

The more you play, the more you see the balance of hit results even out. The more you play, the more errors you see. Plus, coming from ‘18, MVP ‘05 on PC was going to look like the most sophisticated baseball sim of all time after enduring THAT mess. I play a lot and in my opinion the game is not horrible. That description should be reserved for trash like ‘18 where gameplay and content was devoid of entertainment value and was well beyond saving via a few gameplay patches.

I still feel pretty positive about ‘19, despite some issues that need to be addressed in my opinion. They’re not huge changes and ought to make the game feel fairer and increase playability at all levels. Please bear with me as this may take some time to explain.

1. It’s too hard to make outs on the lower difficulty levels. PCI is huge and travels outside the zone, causing unrealistic amounts of foul tips and hits on balls a good way off the plate. You shouldn’t be making any contact at all when swinging at a pitch being thrown at the very outer limit of the pitchers range like balls in the dirt, opposite batters box, or above the neck. That’s quite ridiculous and inhibits the ability to make outs for a pitcher, while encouraging less skilled users to swing at every pitch as opposed to learning plate discipline and a better approach.

2. I appreciate it’s hard to field a 100mph+ ground ball, even for an experienced MLB player. However, the incidences of high quality defenders bobbling routine plays several times per game, with the result of allowing multiple unearned baserunners are too high. The game records these as base hits, not errors, more often than not. This means you probably aren’t seeing this reflected statistically in the back end data you collate to appraise the state of gameplay. Also of MAJOR IMPORTANCE and already over due for a patch is the inability of outfielders to lock onto fly balls hit close to the outfield walls. Again these are usually recorded as hits, so the issue may not be readily apparent in your data, although this has been widely reported here and on social media via “the partners” etc.

3. Pitching is, for at least the second consecutive year now, not good. Now, I can’t speak for meter, I don’t use it myself, but Analog seems too punishing, or just plain random. Either you have to be accurate to the pixel or there is something else at play, as our resident conspiracy theorists often opine. I keep saying it, but if I miss my spot slightly left, when already aiming left, there should be a zero percent chance of the pitch going to the right, or down the centre. I understand there has to be a penalty on the pitching side for bad input, but if I miss left the ball should always travel left. You can’t drag a slider across the zone with late release in real life and have it magically end up a foot inside. Maybe it should be slightly more forgiving on the meatballs.

Just fixing these three issues alone would go a long way. HoF hitting is an entirely separate issue that I am not sure how to complain about right now, a lot of 1-0 games and balls hit at defenders for sure, but it’s competitive which is what was requested. I’m not sure exactly what is “wrong” with hitting on HoF and Legend, but it’s not especially fun or rewarding, even when you’re making solid contact. Nobody wants a return to the home run derby days of ‘18 though, so I’m not even offering a solution for that just yet, because I’m unable to readily offer one without detracting from the competitive nature of the game at that level.

4/18/2019 9:35AM PDT

Because they tweak the slider every week

4/18/2019 9:39AM PDT

The lineouts...for real. Especially the last handful of days. It's almost like they reverted back to 2018 hitting at some point in the last week or so.

4/18/2019 9:41AM PDT

You used to be able to hit the ball hard and it could fall in for a hit.  Like in real life.  Now it just stays in the air. Too many 8 foot high line drives that stay about 8 feet in the air all the way out to an OF'er.  At first those were dropping in for hits. And too many weak popups, or jammed shots that just never come down.  Instead of weak foul balls they just hang up in the air.  That is the biggest difference from week one.  And it seems like the OF'ers are morons again and crow hop for every throw rather it is urgent or not.  Taking forever to get the ball in.

4/18/2019 9:44AM PDT

The lineouts...for real. Especially the last handful of days. It's almost like they reverted back to 2018 hitting at some point in the last week or so.

Comment by kkonicke

I have a question, for anyone really; Do you think the increase in line outs and similar from what we saw in the first week is because everyone has had a chance to improve their team? This obviously leads to faster moving outfielders who are less likely to get a bad jump on a fly ball, which would increase the number of flyout/lineout occurrences vs the amount of balls that fall into the gaps.

4/18/2019 9:45AM PDT

I'm sensing some PTSD coming on because it feels like I'm playing '18 again.  If that's the case I'll go back to '18 because my team is much better there hah. 

4/18/2019 9:46AM PDT

Comment by kkonicke

I agree that the game feels more 18ish than it did at release.  The fact that you can foul tip 15 pitches in the dirt or far out of the zone is a joke.  Its like they dont want peoples peoples feelings to get hurt from striking out.

4/18/2019 9:47AM PDT

Lol. This is the most realistic game they have made to date. Most of you complain about the same things and some of it has validity to it, but mostly it’s just people complaining that they can’t have a .500 batting average with all there players. It’s probably you are playing against higher level competition now than you were in the beginning. Your user input may be great, but it’s also based on the players ratings you and your opponents are controlling. Remember, this game is trying to be authentic to the sport of baseball and the players that play it. If anyone wants user input to be the only thing that matters than no player is different from the next.

4/18/2019 9:51AM PDT

I have a question, for anyone really; Do you think the increase in line outs and similar from what we saw in the first week is because everyone has had a chance to improve their team? This obviously leads to faster moving outfielders who are less likely to get a bad jump on a fly ball, which would increase the number of flyout/lineout occurrences vs the amount of balls that fall into the gaps.

Comment by ComebackLogic

I've thought about that, many people have guys Mays/Henderson/Gwynn type players in the outfield. Also most teams have better hitters that are hitting the ball harder, so less looping line drives that go over teh shortstop or 2b but fall in front of the outfielder. That said, maybe SDS needs to tweak their sliders or tweak something a bit. It's going to be boring playing a game that's basically a HR derby again. I don't care how good your outfield defense is, plenty of balls should get down in the outfield.

4/18/2019 9:55AM PDT

Comment by ComebackLogic

I think that's a big part of it, yes. Outfields with Gwynn, Ichiro, Mays, Lofton, etc. 

4/18/2019 9:56AM PDT

I think that's a big part of it, yes. Outfields with Gwynn, Ichiro, Mays, Lofton, etc. 

Comment by thizzlyadams
4/18/2019 9:56AM PDT

Yeah, that occurred to me also. Thing is, if they start nerfing that, we will just have tons of people crying about “jogging outfielders” or “99 Willie Mays is trash because defense sucks”. Plus, as Kkonicke said, less soft hits because players have more power. Ichiro is godly for me online which would support that hypothesis, he hits line drives, but a ton more bloopers overall. 

With that in mind, as a possible solution, would you rather they slowed down outfielders speed on defense so we see more gap hits, increase hitters power so we see more of these flyouts turn into home runs, or reduce hitters power to see more of them fall into the shorter gaps? I’d hate to see anything too drastic in any direction myself, but clearly hitting above “easy mode” level has begun to feel unrewarding.

4/18/2019 10:05AM PDT

Yeah, that occurred to me also. Thing is, if they start nerfing that, we will just have tons of people crying about “jogging outfielders” or “99 Willie Mays is trash because defense sucks”. Plus, as Kkonicke said, less soft hits because players have more power. Ichiro is godly for me online which would support that hypothesis, he hits line drives, but a ton more bloopers overall. 

With that in mind, as a possible solution, would you rather they slowed down outfielders speed on defense so we see more gap hits, increase hitters power so we see more of these flyouts turn into home runs, or reduce hitters power to see more of them fall into the shorter gaps? I’d hate to see anything too drastic in any direction myself, but clearly hitting above “easy mode” level has begun to feel unrewarding.

Comment by ComebackLogic

Their pre pitch fielder postioning doesn't help out much at at all, especially the default OF positon on extreme shifts.

4/18/2019 10:10AM PDT

Man, do not get me started on auto shifts. The worst thing they ever introduced. I mean, if you’re too stupid, or lack the intrinsic baseball knowledge to put the right shift on a guy, why the hell should the game bail you out? At least set it to “off” by default.

4/18/2019 10:16AM PDT

Comment by ComebackLogic

My preference would to go back to the hitting engine used in MLB 17.

4/18/2019 10:25AM PDT

Yeah it’s not fun anymore. Very sad.

4/18/2019 10:26AM PDT

The game started so good because everyone was playing on the lower difficulties. There needs to be some adjustments made to the higher difficulties. Period.

4/18/2019 10:46AM PDT

I've thought about that, many people have guys Mays/Henderson/Gwynn type players in the outfield. Also most teams have better hitters that are hitting the ball harder, so less looping line drives that go over teh shortstop or 2b but fall in front of the outfielder. That said, maybe SDS needs to tweak their sliders or tweak something a bit. It's going to be boring playing a game that's basically a HR derby again. I don't care how good your outfield defense is, plenty of balls should get down in the outfield.

Comment by kkonicke
4/18/2019 9:55AM PDT

A HR Derby that's 1 HR every 20 ABs instead every 4

4/18/2019 10:57AM PDT

I posted this thread about 2 weeks ago, praising SDS for delivering a truly fantastic online game: https://theshownation.com/forums/2-diamond-dynasty/forum_topics/132647-sds-please-don-t-change-hitting-or-pitching-in-online-play

Since then, something has drastically changed.  Pitching is no longer as effective as it was.  Lineouts are a constant.  What changed??  🤷🏼‍♂️

Comment by MiJuJuKaLa

They're the ones who patched it, you'll have to ask them. 

4/18/2019 11:18AM PDT

My preference would to go back to the hitting engine used in MLB 17.

Comment by MiJuJuKaLa
4/18/2019 10:25AM PDT

I don’t want to sound like I’m being condescending, but it’s the same hitting engine. While being tweaked year on year, the base remains the same. I was around for ‘17 and I remember there were many complaints about bunting being broken, late hits being OP and so on back then. Nobody came out and said “wow, this game plays perfectly”. Nope. What they said was “the new realistic ball physics have broken the game, ‘16 played waaaay better online”. 

This year bunting is better, late hits are still existant if not outright OP and people are making largely the same complaints in various forms. You can’t have the ‘17 “hitting engine” because we have ‘19. What you can do is offer your opinion on what potential solutions could be applied to make the game, in your opinion, play better. I’m aware you’re a good player and have been around in the community for a while, running challenges and so on and I don’t want to disrespect you or come across in a negative manner as I said, but while I see you throwing many problems with the game out there, as with this particular thread, you’re not actually offering any solutions or specific advice. That means you’re just complaining into the wind like 90% of this forum.

4/18/2019 11:48AM PDT

I think there are 3 things to fix

1. Balls need to be hit in the gap more often than straight at people.

2.  Defensive speed needs to be lowered so balls can drop in the outfield for hits more often.

3.  Outfielders arm strengths are ridiculously op, I haven't gone from 1st to 3rd on a single the whole year.  Lower arm strength a bit across the board.

4/18/2019 12:17PM PDT

This game is algorithm based and because of the way it's coded, if you connect properly then the ball goes at a fielder, because fielders are positioned based on where the batter is likely to hit it. Hence why if you hit poorly it drops in for a hit, because the fielders aren't positioned for poor hittin.

A big part of the problem is the lack of topspin and backspin

4/18/2019 12:35PM PDT

Comment by MiJuJuKaLa

I bought this game last week on your recommendation. Seems just like the same s_hit as '18. Guess I should have waited a little longer. 

4/18/2019 1:13PM PDT

Man I thought waiting to buy the game would be the right move too. I really feel like I jewed by SDS here. Definitely sick of the lineouts and poor fielding.

4/18/2019 3:58PM PDT

"I have a question, for anyone really; Do you think the increase in line outs and similar from what we saw in the first week is because everyone has had a chance to improve their team?"

I think it's simple, actually.

Everyone complained last year that "when we have good/good timing and placement we should hit the ball hard."

So, now you hit the ball hard. You just hit it right at people.

They didn't want all the games to be 14-12, and instead of properly fixing the outcome tables, we got this.

4/18/2019 4:14PM PDT