You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.
71 1979 Active 2 months ago

I was thinking the same thing hahaha.  As a Giants fan he blew us off cuz he knew he wasn't good enough to hit in our park lol so he had to go to the ban box of all ban boxes in Philly lol but he still isn't even close to the HR lead.  Granted its only mid April but he's got 4 HR's.  Just a decent power hitter should hit 35 HR's a year in Philly.  Thats prolly about what he will do but doing that in Philly is just not all that impressive.  Almost all those guys that get those mega contracts never live up to it either cuz of the pressure of living up to it or they just get lazy and there's nothing to motivate them anymore once you give em all that money LOL. 

Comment by BASEBALL__24_7
4/15/2019 9:40AM PDT

I don't know how true that is. There are a few who did live up to the contracts Bonds and A rod come to mind. You may not like them and how they lived up to it. But the MVPs and 50hr seasons by both definitely lived up to it. 

The other thing is that too many of these mega contracts are given for past performance to guys on the back end of their career Pujos, Miggy and Griffey come to mind. It's not that those guys were lazy or have too much pressure, its more that a 35 year old you are not as good as a 28 year old no matter how much you are paid. This new trend towards extensions over free agency is good for everyone. Guys are being paid for what they are currently doing. As opposed to before where you were grossly underpaid and when you hit free agency you are under paid

4/15/2019 3:05PM PDT

"Lol we have no idea how the negotiation went down."

Not the exact details, but a lot of it was covered and for a pretty long time.

"But trust me Boras always goes hard for a no trade claus and once they tried and then failed to get it then yeah of course at that point they structured the AAV to be lower cuz he was gonna be locked into staying there so he wanted to lower it so they could still get some other good players."

What is this about? He has a full no-trade clause. Do you even know what we're talking about?

"He got the most money but now he's stuck in Philly for the next 13 years which is gonna get ugly halfway into the contract between his ego and how harsh the Philly fans are lol."

There's some ego on display in this thread, alright, but it ain't Harper's.

Stop being so bitter and just go back to cheering for your team. After playing them in MTO, I can see first hand that they can use all the help they can get.

Comment by Qeltar_
4/15/2019 3:05PM PDT

Lol I meant to say no opt out...my bad.  I was multi tasking at work bro.  I guarantee thats why the the negotiations took so long cuz Harper and Boras wanted to be able to opt out.  Harper didnt wanna be locked into staying in Philly for 13 years but thats the only way he was gonna get the money.  Thats was all PR.  The Phillies made him commit to not putting the no opt out in there cuz you know Harper wouldve wanted to see if he could get more money down the road and im sure he didnt wanna spend 13 years of his life in Philly.  Not exactly one of the most desirable places to live lol.  And yeah I know the Giants are bad right now but what goes up must come down eventually.  I guarantee whoever your team is you would gladly go through a few lean years to get 3 championships :)

4/15/2019 3:23PM PDT

lmao on all the haters on Bryce Harper. He is not overrated you idiots. He’s only 26, very well received by Philly fans and teammates so far and the Phillies are going to get that money back quick in ticket sales, merchandise, etc...

I’m a Yankee fan but not a hater like some of you who still bring up the Papelbon stuff. Just stop.

4/15/2019 3:25PM PDT

" I guarantee thats why the the negotiations took so long "

You have absolutely no clue about anything related to the negotiations.

Give it a rest already.

4/15/2019 3:28PM PDT

Bashing??  Nah if anything Harper and his agent are a couple geniues for getting a team to pay a slightly above average baseball player $330 mill.  Good for him.  Outside of his MVP year Harper has had what like 6 other seasons that you could find guys making 5-10 million a year with similar production.  But you gotta love Philly fans for thinking they're championship contenders now loooooool.  Like I said I wouldve wanted him just for the entertainment factor.  The Giants have been boring for a few years now but I never thought Harper was a championship ingredient by any means.  I got my 3 championships so its not all that important to me to see another one.  I just wanna be entertained.  We've gotten kinda spoiled out here between the Giants and Warriors and lets be honest we the fans don't get anything when our team wins so its more about entertainment and I will say Bryce is one of the more fun players to watch.

4/15/2019 2:27PM PDT

“Slighty above average ball player” alright so it’s official y’all we can just call this dude a hater who knows nothing about baseball. 

4/15/2019 3:31PM PDT

You're naive if you think they didnt spin that whole no opt out thing.  He was like o yeah I love Philly and I wanna be here for the rest of my career and thats why I chose to not have an opt out.  Pleaseeeeeee you have no opt out cause thats the only way the deal was gonna get done.  Plain and simple.  There might have been other sticking points too but I guarantee thats a big part of why it took so long.  Bryce has brainwashed Philly into thinking he loves the city but he just took the money in the end.  Can't blame him, that's his choice.  But don't pretend like you just love Philly and thats why you didnt want an opt out. 

“Slighty above average ball player” alright so it’s official y’all we can just call this dude a hater who knows nothing about baseball. 

Comment by NicholasHowardT5

I said slightly above average in all his years other than his MVP year.  He's basically a lesser version of Khris Davis lol.  A .250 with less HR's lol.  Hey if u can get someone to give you $330 mill for one great year congrats but it was an overpay for his on the field talent.  Yeah they will amke it up in merch and what not but like I said halfway into it you can guarantee both sides are gonna want a redo.  Oh yeah and tell me why the Nats were so willing to let him go??  Like I said thats very telling about his game and possibly his character too cuz they know him better than anybody.  Just my 2 cents killing time at work :)

4/15/2019 3:37PM PDT

Helloooo anyone listening??? Harper has the worst UZR of all outfielders in the MLB it’s like the most relevant defensive stat...he hits 260...he’s not even an ARGUMENT...way way way over rated.  I’m a Yankee fan and I was PRAYING that they didn’t sign that dude...I was so happy cashman didn’t cave to that kind of ridiculous regrettable contract.  That dude is gonna be one of the worst contracts of all time.  

Im also not a fan of the Stanton contract and I didn’t like it even after his MVP season...before anyone goes there he’s overpaid too.  

4/15/2019 3:44PM PDT

" I guarantee thats why the the negotiations took so long "

You have absolutely no clue about anything related to the negotiations.

Give it a rest already.

Comment by Qeltar_
4/15/2019 3:28PM PDT

Harper's no idiot bro.  It doesn't take a genius to read between the lines.  Every big star wants an opt out in today's world.  And the fact that Harper couldn't get one is also very telling.  If Philly was such a great organization why not let him have the opt out?  They wanted the assurance that he was gonna stay cuz these guys have no loyalty and he would have wanted to go play for the Dodgers or Yankess the second that opt out kicked in trust me.  If a bigger pay day came he would have left Philly in 2 seconds.  Boras and Harper lost on several fronts in this negotiation.  Much lower AAV than they were touting, they didnt get the opt out, and he had to settle for playing in Philly.  He got the money but in so many other ways it was a failure.  He probably sacrificed future money that would have paid him more if he could have opted out and he's stuck in Philly for 13 years now yikes!!!!

4/15/2019 3:46PM PDT

Helloooo anyone listening??? Harper has the worst UZR of all outfielders in the MLB it’s like the most relevant defensive stat...he hits 260...he’s not even an ARGUMENT...way way way over rated.  I’m a Yankee fan and I was PRAYING that they didn’t sign that dude...I was so happy cashman didn’t cave to that kind of ridiculous regrettable contract.  That dude is gonna be one of the worst contracts of all time.  

Im also not a fan of the Stanton contract and I didn’t like it even after his MVP season...before anyone goes there he’s overpaid too.  

Comment by xST3ROiiDzZ

Yeah I'd prolly take Harper over Stanton though just cuz Harper has a much better eye at the plate.  Harper strikes out too much but Stanton strikes out way more and wow I couldn't believe how bad Stanton looked in the postseason last year.  So Stanton definitely can't be relied on in a big spot.  At least from what I saw but who knows maybe now that he's been in New York for a year he will be more comfortable.  Baseball is going in the right direction though I think with all these guys signing extensions now cuz you never want someone elses dirty laundry.  If the player was really that great the team he was with would've never let him hit free agancy.

4/15/2019 3:52PM PDT

Comment by NicholasHowardT5

Once you take off your Phillies rose colored glasses you'll see Harper for what he really is.  Like I said exciting player fun to watch?  Sure absolutely.  But his ego will prevent him from ever living up to people's expectations.  He prolly got an even bigger head after winning the MVP.  And that could very well be the reason he hasn't played at that level since that season.  How else can you explain a 26 yr old former MVP regressing??  Doesn't make any sense, does it?  Harper is a primadona.  And I'm sorry to break the news to you but rarely do primadonas win championships.  Can it happen?  Sure.  Is it likely...ummm no :)

4/15/2019 4:02PM PDT

I was thinking the same thing hahaha.  As a Giants fan he blew us off cuz he knew he wasn't good enough to hit in our park lol so he had to go to the ban box of all ban boxes in Philly lol but he still isn't even close to the HR lead.  Granted its only mid April but he's got 4 HR's.  Just a decent power hitter should hit 35 HR's a year in Philly.  Thats prolly about what he will do but doing that in Philly is just not all that impressive.  Almost all those guys that get those mega contracts never live up to it either cuz of the pressure of living up to it or they just get lazy and there's nothing to motivate them anymore once you give em all that money LOL. 

4/15/2019 9:40AM PDT

Glad he didn't sign with the Giants. He would have been a waste of money. We're already wasting enough money with our old underperforming players.. 

4/15/2019 6:22PM PDT

I find that Harper is pretty awful in RF defensively.

4/15/2019 9:09PM PDT

Comment by xST3ROiiDzZ

I’m curious what a player has to do to be “worth it” if MVP isn’t enough? Do you think that if he got paid $100 mill less your hot dog will be cheaper or something? It either goes to the players or billionaires. 

4/16/2019 1:28PM PDT

Dude's got the hidden hair flip quirk : )  I actually like Harper. He's "seeing it well" in my lineup.

I'm also glad he passed on us so we didn't over spend. We're rebuilding next year no doubt. Literal end of many eras with Boch retiring and Bumgarner likely moving on. Sandoval will likely be gone and I expect Posey to move to 1st sooner than we all think. Bring up Joey Bart and Heliot Ramos asap. Both are ready!

4/16/2019 2:00PM PDT

Dude's got the hidden hair flip quirk : )  I actually like Harper. He's "seeing it well" in my lineup.

I'm also glad he passed on us so we didn't over spend. We're rebuilding next year no doubt. Literal end of many eras with Boch retiring and Bumgarner likely moving on. Sandoval will likely be gone and I expect Posey to move to 1st sooner than we all think. Bring up Joey Bart and Heliot Ramos asap. Both are ready!

Comment by MadderBumgarner
4/16/2019 2:00PM PDT

As a Giants fan I somewhat disagree bro.  Do I love Harper??  Nah he is definitely overhyped but I still kinda wish he wouldve come to the Giants.  Why u ask?  Cuz he's entertaining!!  He plays with passion and excitement.  And he's only 26 so they could've rebuilt around him.  I've seen the Giants win 3 championships so I'm not all that wrapped up in winning the whole thing anymore.  Would it be nice?  Yeah sure but lets face it the Giants are BORING.  As Larry Kreuger has said so many times on KNBR they just can't hit hahaha.  They won those championships cuz of stellar pitching.  The offense has been bottom of the barrel for far too long.  They never won with Bonds but they had a lot of good teams with him and Bonds put on a show.  I wanna be entertained again and right now the Giants are about as fun to watch as watching paint dry hahaha.  Love or hate Bonds he put on a show like no other.  Just like Curry with the Warriors.  Curry doesnt just win.  He knows how to put on a show.  At the end of the day I love sports but its all about entertainment.  I don't get anything when my team wins a championship so just give me something entertaining to watch. 

4/16/2019 3:00PM PDT

pulled and sold so quick when people are still dumb enough to pay 50k for him.

4/18/2019 7:39AM PDT

Like I said.  He’s way overrated.  If you look at his overall defensive analytics he’s pretty horrible defensively which hurts him bad considering his bat is heavy power and his average has been either good or sub par. 

Not to mention he’s a clubhouse cancer.  Not running to first fighting with papelbon is one example but also just his non hustle mentality is just poor. 

Comment by xST3ROiiDzZ
4/15/2019 9:58AM PDT

You try hanging around Papelbon...you'd want to punch him too lol.

Also Harper was lauded as a player who always hustles when he first came up. He was one of the guys they asked to dial it back some so that he doesn't get hurt all the time. 

4/18/2019 7:45AM PDT

This isn’t me being biased since I’m a Yankees fan as I try to just call things now they are but how can Harper be an 86 and Stanton be an 85 when it’s supposedly based on a three year average...if you look at the numbers Stanton outplayed Harper in 2017 and 18 despite both not playing that well in 18. I think Stanton is a tad overrated as well. No hate against Harper I’m a fan I just think ratings for some players are off this year. I think Harper should be an 85 as well 

4/18/2019 7:49AM PDT

He’s really not even close to one of the better player in the MLB he has the WOrst UZR of any outfielder...(which is overall defense if you didn’t know) and he hits basically 265ish with some pop.  He’s grossly overrated.  And I can give you a ridiculous amount of outfielders I’d take over him.  Let alone if you start talking about other players he’s not even top 50 players in the mlb.

Comment by xST3ROiiDzZ
4/15/2019 9:48AM PDT

He has a .279 career batting average. What are you talking about?! Sure Betts and Trout are better, Yelich at this point. But other than that he's in the conversation with any other OF out there. At peak potential Harper could be a top 5 player in the game and that's what he is being payed for. Don't forget he's currently 26 years old. Lots of players don't have their best years until this point and he's already got almost 1000 hits and 200 homers, should easily reach both milestones this year. 

4/18/2019 7:51AM PDT

And I get most people thought Yelich was going to be a one hit wonder but he’s proving he’s elite. He will get a rating boost and should be the third highest rated outfielder behind trout and betts 

4/18/2019 7:52AM PDT