You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

The gameplay went to *** after they "tweaked late hits". The game went from feeling like it was greatly improved over MLB18 to feeling like MLB18 but contact hitters suck a little less. Please roll back whatever you've done to gameplay because whatever you did has greatly diminised the quality of gameplay.

4/15/2019 8:32AM PDT

Not sure if its a patch or if its just when the difficulty goes up in RS??

4/15/2019 8:45AM PDT

I agree wholeheartedly. Were we asking for patches? It seemed everyone was in agreement that hitting was WAY better online at launch. Now not so much.

4/15/2019 8:47AM PDT

I knew they weren’t gonna let everyone hit .400 and .300 like the first few days after launch. 

But they nerfed and neutered the game too quick imo.

4/15/2019 8:54AM PDT

I think it’s the difference between All Star and HOF difficultly. There’s too big of a jump. My RS games on HOF are almost always 1-0 games. And even that one run came from a bloop or error. 

4/15/2019 9:07AM PDT

It’s possible that what some people are seeing is moving up to cs not any patches.  I was literally batting over 400 with my team and once I hit cs and ws dropped to about 280.  One thing to remember from the pre launch streams is not just faster pitch speeds up in those levels but they talked about smaller timing windows.  That definitely worried me in the streams realizing that not only were pitch speeds going be crazy but a shorter timing window will make hitting really tough up there but they did say they were trying to make a game for a lot of levels.  Casual players at low levels and elite players at high levels.  My preference would be to leave rank season on all star all the way through but I get why they did this.  I really think this was the intention for game play which I’m fine with.  I think what we see online with hof and legend is with the fast pitch speeds and very small timing window you have to be perfect to hit a ball hard.  The very small elite group will still pound the ball.  The rest of us will have to work counts grind out hits and manufacture runs.  It helped me a bit because once I made ws I backed off playing rs and went to the event and hitting was ridiculously easy after playing on hof and legend.  I’m ok normally but I went 40-5 in the event and two of the losses were when I quit out to get my rewards because i didn’t realize the forfeit was available on events too not just br.  So technically I would have been 40-3 which for me is far better than anything last year.  My point is I’m not sure if it’s a patch.  I hit great up to cs and then struggled a bit and then went back to events and destroyed everything I swung at.  

4/15/2019 9:14AM PDT

I knew they weren’t gonna let everyone hit .400 and .300 like the first few days after launch. 

Comment by DomeBay33

Averages are always higher at the start of a season (unless you are Chris Davis of course). I mean there are still some Mariners hitting .400 or .375 and we are nearly 20 games in.

I would way rather hit .300 and have an ERA of 3 than hit .175 and have an ERA of 0.7.

I realize this is supposed to be a sim but I think trying to make the game Uber realistic just makes it less and less playable.

4/15/2019 9:18AM PDT

It’s possible that what some people are seeing is moving up to cs not any patches.  I was literally batting over 400 with my team and once I hit cs and ws dropped to about 280.  One thing to remember from the pre launch streams is not just faster pitch speeds up in those levels but they talked about smaller timing windows.  That definitely worried me in the streams realizing that not only were pitch speeds going be crazy but a shorter timing window will make hitting really tough up there but they did say they were trying to make a game for a lot of levels.  Casual players at low levels and elite players at high levels.  My preference would be to leave rank season on all star all the way through but I get why they did this.  I really think this was the intention for game play which I’m fine with.  I think what we see online with hof and legend is with the fast pitch speeds and very small timing window you have to be perfect to hit a ball hard.  The very small elite group will still pound the ball.  The rest of us will have to work counts grind out hits and manufacture runs.  It helped me a bit because once I made ws I backed off playing rs and went to the event and hitting was ridiculously easy after playing on hof and legend.  I’m ok normally but I went 40-5 in the event and two of the losses were when I quit out to get my rewards because i didn’t realize the forfeit was available on events too not just br.  So technically I would have been 40-3 which for me is far better than anything last year.  My point is I’m not sure if it’s a patch.  I hit great up to cs and then struggled a bit and then went back to events and destroyed everything I swung at.  

Comment by pfcorporate

I wish this were the case for me. I have only played 7 or 8 ranked games. I work in film and don’t have tons of time to play, so basically all my games have been ST or RS.

My experience of the gameplay changed radically post patch, to the extent that the game online just feels exactly like 18 now, whereas at launch, the gameplay was MUCH better.

Its super discouraging.

4/15/2019 9:26AM PDT

Comment by pfcorporate

Nobody is "pounding" anyone.  Game will not allow you to beat someone bad unless they keep the pitcher in too long and swing at horrible pitches.  If you switch pitchers and swing at strikes the game will be close.

4/15/2019 9:28AM PDT

Comment by pfcorporate

Damn if you were 40-3 in the event and even you think its hard to hit in CS then I am in trouble lol 

4/15/2019 9:41AM PDT

Comment by pfcorporate

Nobody is "pounding" anyone.  Game will not allow you to beat someone bad unless they keep the pitcher in too long and swing at horrible pitches.  If you switch pitchers and swing at strikes the game will be close.

Comment by D_e_m_I_s_E
4/15/2019 9:28AM PDT

Sorry, but not true.

I lost a couple games this weekend by big margins. One I was mercied 10-0, another like 7-0. 

In the mercy, I used mound visits, changed pitchers, and did my best to regain some pitcher confidence.

The game started off with two OF errors. The confidence hit my pitcher took was insurmountable.

The game certainly “allowed” my opponent to poke ground ball after ground ball through holes. Credit to my opponent, but there were a lot of pitches missing middle middle.

4/15/2019 9:45AM PDT

Most of the early reviews on hitting in the game came from playing on AS or lower difficulty across Events, BR, and RS.  It wasn't until a week or so in when RS games hit HOF consistently as enough people got up in rank.  People are now seeing the adjustments SDS made to higher difficulties at a larger sample size.  

On the one hand it's nice to see SDS followed through with what they said during the pre launch streams.  Pitch speeds are faster, PCI's are smaller, and timing windows are smaller in HOF and Legend difficulty.  It appears they took the approach of making sure it was harder at the expense of making too hard, as opposed to starting out with it not being hard enough.  

They won't make a knee jerk reaction to adjust anything hitting related, I don't think this is a bad thing either.  I didn't realistically expect them to nail it perfectly the first time out.  The more games that get played at these higher levels will provide the sample size they need to make some adjustments.  I have played a few h2h friendlies and a tournament game on HOF.  There is not a lot of forgiveness in terms of hitting.  PCI placement and timing have to be near perfect along with good pitch selection.  Hits don't really seem to come unless you get the pitcher stamina and confidence down a decent amount.  Solid hit types did feel a little on the few and far between side.  It does get to a frustrating point when most of the time hits that are falling are from less than ideal input.  

I think if solid contact is upped a little bit, over time more good hits will find gaps and go over the wall.  My larger concern is still in regards to fielding and various fielding animations.  The refusal to lock into catch animations doesn't seem right with higher rated fielders doesn't look right, however when I have seen it happen the most is in games where the connection isn't good and there is a lot of framerate drop and ghosting fielders.  Infielders are bobbling way to many balls from a set and waiting postition.  I won't complain when Matt Carpenter is moving towards a routine ball and boots the pickup every now and again.  However, when the fielder is set waiting for a ball I don't see the reason for all of the booted balls and quick recovery for outs.  I could start a whole thread about the new diving and knocking down balls animation, man you can tell it's the shiny new crown jewel to SDS because it seems like every first baseman is Patrick Roy. 

4/15/2019 9:50AM PDT

I wish it goes back to launch, I was just talking to my buddies the other day that it is feeling like 18 again which I quit playing early from all the frustration that one caused me. I even had a winning record but the things that had to line up for me to get them wins made it impossible to play. I want a more skill oriented game and to get rewarded for well timed swings with good PCI placement. Timing should be the most important thing to getting a hit. That's why pitchers have multiple pitches so they can throw off timing. I can see just early and just late gappers. I can even see a blooper hit every now and then. What I don't see is exit velos of 95+ making outs 8 out of 10 times

4/15/2019 9:52AM PDT

Comment by pfcorporate

Damn if you were 40-3 in the event and even you think its hard to hit in CS then I am in trouble lol 

Comment by IaMbAtMaN7777777

You do get used to it.  My first few cs games I thought I was going to hate the game this year.  I was worried that I would have fun each month up to cs and then hit cs and get two hits and one run per game but after a few games it got better.  I don’t think I will ever put up double digit runs in a cs or ws game but I definitely started having double digits in hits in games.  Once you do that it’s just about getting the clutch hit and then sometimes the floodgates open.  

4/15/2019 9:55AM PDT

Most of the early reviews on hitting in the game came from playing on AS or lower difficulty across Events, BR, and RS.  It wasn't until a week or so in when RS games hit HOF consistently as enough people got up in rank.  People are now seeing the adjustments SDS made to higher difficulties at a larger sample size.  

On the one hand it's nice to see SDS followed through with what they said during the pre launch streams.  Pitch speeds are faster, PCI's are smaller, and timing windows are smaller in HOF and Legend difficulty.  It appears they took the approach of making sure it was harder at the expense of making too hard, as opposed to starting out with it not being hard enough.  

They won't make a knee jerk reaction to adjust anything hitting related, I don't think this is a bad thing either.  I didn't realistically expect them to nail it perfectly the first time out.  The more games that get played at these higher levels will provide the sample size they need to make some adjustments.  I have played a few h2h friendlies and a tournament game on HOF.  There is not a lot of forgiveness in terms of hitting.  PCI placement and timing have to be near perfect along with good pitch selection.  Hits don't really seem to come unless you get the pitcher stamina and confidence down a decent amount.  Solid hit types did feel a little on the few and far between side.  It does get to a frustrating point when most of the time hits that are falling are from less than ideal input.  

I think if solid contact is upped a little bit, over time more good hits will find gaps and go over the wall.  My larger concern is still in regards to fielding and various fielding animations.  The refusal to lock into catch animations doesn't seem right with higher rated fielders doesn't look right, however when I have seen it happen the most is in games where the connection isn't good and there is a lot of framerate drop and ghosting fielders.  Infielders are bobbling way to many balls from a set and waiting postition.  I won't complain when Matt Carpenter is moving towards a routine ball and boots the pickup every now and again.  However, when the fielder is set waiting for a ball I don't see the reason for all of the booted balls and quick recovery for outs.  I could start a whole thread about the new diving and knocking down balls animation, man you can tell it's the shiny new crown jewel to SDS because it seems like every first baseman is Patrick Roy. 

Comment by Chuck_Dizzle29
4/15/2019 12:50PM EDT

I made a post last night about hitting this year on HoF difficulty, and based of the adjustments I made to my approach, the exit velocities are only consistently high on pitches in the middle of the plate. They did say that different pitches/spots in the zone would produce different hit types. I get that, but still, anyone who can pitch that figures this out will know exactly where to pitch to avoid giving up bombs. I know now when I’m pitching there are places you cannot afford to risk pitching in. 

4/15/2019 9:59AM PDT

every year as the season goes on the hitting changes.

just hear me out with this...

vs cpu

1 month everyone scores 30 runs and it continues down hill from there out. by the end of the season your scoring 4 if that. youll be reading threads trust me.

4/15/2019 10:03AM PDT

Comment by Chuck_Dizzle29
4/15/2019 11:50AM CDT

I made a post last night about hitting this year on HoF difficulty, and based of the adjustments I made to my approach, the exit velocities are only consistently high on pitches in the middle of the plate. They did say that different pitches/spots in the zone would produce different hit types. I get that, but still, anyone who can pitch that figures this out will know exactly where to pitch to avoid giving up bombs. I know now when I’m pitching there are places you cannot afford to risk pitching in. 

Comment by Harryhukari33
4/15/2019 11:59AM CDT

Even then it only seems it's unintended pitches over the middle of the plate.  I had a few instances where I got onto pitches in the middle of the plate that went pretty lazy, if the user places it there and gets good input it seems to negate the hitting result as well.  It's a game of don't chase and hope it was a mistake lol.  

4/15/2019 10:29AM PDT

It has nothing to do with 'moving up the ranks'

Im in the same spot as before on ranked seasons and things have definetely changed.

Good/good or good/squared up hit were getting rewarded, now they are nerfed

balls id hit with power swing with guys like nolan arenado or bellinger with good/squared up would be homers, now they are not.

they nerfed power overall and nerfed good/good but left everything else, hence this frustrating late/weak bloop single meta we have now

i dont see why they feel the need to nerf hitting? who cares if elites bat .450? and regulars bat .300 or better?

the most important is that the game is fun and rewarding,is it not? i was having fun before even if i lost! now even if i win its still frustrating cause of how the game plays

4/15/2019 10:30AM PDT

Comment by pfcorporate

Comment by IaMbAtMaN7777777

You do get used to it.  My first few cs games I thought I was going to hate the game this year.  I was worried that I would have fun each month up to cs and then hit cs and get two hits and one run per game but after a few games it got better.  I don’t think I will ever put up double digit runs in a cs or ws game but I definitely started having double digits in hits in games.  Once you do that it’s just about getting the clutch hit and then sometimes the floodgates open.  

Comment by pfcorporate
4/15/2019 9:55AM PDT

Im going to keep trying so maybe it will change a bit

4/15/2019 10:32AM PDT

It has to be a skill-gap issue, why they would want to nerf power.  

4/15/2019 10:39AM PDT

It has to be a skill-gap issue, why they would want to nerf power.  

Comment by Fenian_1916
4/15/2019 10:39AM PDT

I cant remember the last homerun I hit in RS

4/15/2019 10:45AM PDT

This is not a HoF vs All-Star problem, this is a squared up balls were going for hits and now they're going for line outs problem. This is a The Game Is Playing Like MLB18 problem.

4/15/2019 2:45PM PDT

Comment by DomeBay33

Averages are always higher at the start of a season (unless you are Chris Davis of course). I mean there are still some Mariners hitting .400 or .375 and we are nearly 20 games in.

I would way rather hit .300 and have an ERA of 3 than hit .175 and have an ERA of 0.7.

I realize this is supposed to be a sim but I think trying to make the game Uber realistic just makes it less and less playable.

Comment by halfbutt
4/15/2019 9:18AM PDT

But hitting .300 is the sign of a great hitter... That's not a designation everyone is entitled to (online)

4/15/2019 4:31PM PDT

This is not a HoF vs All-Star problem, this is a squared up balls were going for hits and now they're going for line outs problem. This is a The Game Is Playing Like MLB18 problem.

Comment by Whiskey_McClure
4/15/2019 2:45PM PDT

That wasnt even the problem with 18 tho... 

4/15/2019 4:32PM PDT

have they told us what’s changed?

it just seems different again. can’t put my finger on it though, like many here

4/15/2019 4:51PM PDT