You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.
8 231 Active 5 months ago

So... I think I’ve debunked the mysterious exit velocity theory on HoF difficulty and above. I remember SDS saying in a stream that depending on where the ball is in the zone, among other factors (9s, pitch type, confidence, etc), that the hit types were going to be vastly different. Well after adjusting my hitting approach and remembering this, I kept close tabs on exit velocities and pci/placement/pitch/where the ball was in the zone. Any pitch thrown in the middle of the plate that I put a good swing on had 100+ mph exit velocities consistently. The pitches on the corners (aside from pitches up) were consistently at lower exit velos and more likely to be hard ground outs/lineouts.

Im pretty sure SDS did this intentionally, and it makes sense, but then it gets a little scary if someone can pitch well and keep the ball out of the middle of the plate. Maybe that’s why sometimes even with ideal timing on meter/analog that pitches drift in the middle of the plate?

That’s what I’ve been seeing now that I’ve paid close attention to it. 

Thoughts? 

4/14/2019 8:03PM PDT

Makes sense I suppose

4/14/2019 8:05PM PDT

So... I think I’ve debunked the mysterious exit velocity theory on HoF difficulty and above. I remember SDS saying in a stream that depending on where the ball is in the zone, among other factors (9s, pitch type, confidence, etc), that the hit types were going to be vastly different. Well after adjusting my hitting approach and remembering this, I kept close tabs on exit velocities and pci/placement/pitch/where the ball was in the zone. Any pitch thrown in the middle of the plate that I put a good swing on had 100+ mph exit velocities consistently. The pitches on the corners (aside from pitches up) were consistently at lower exit velos and more likely to be hard ground outs/lineouts.

Im pretty sure SDS did this intentionally, and it makes sense, but then it gets a little scary if someone can pitch well and keep the ball out of the middle of the plate. Maybe that’s why sometimes even with ideal timing on meter/analog that pitches drift in the middle of the plate?

That’s what I’ve been seeing now that I’ve paid close attention to it. 

Thoughts? 

Comment by Harryhukari33
4/14/2019 8:03PM PDT

That’s what I’ve seen as well. You really want to be a mistake ball hitter this year.

4/14/2019 8:10PM PDT

The real problem is that some people naturally are just good at hitting their spots so you have to hit what you get and if that person is consistently pitching down and in and your are consistently putting the PCI on the ball you should be rewarded for that, which in the current state of the game you are not rewarded for.

4/14/2019 8:12PM PDT

That’s what I’ve seen as well. You really want to be a mistake ball hitter this year.

Comment by Nash_Bandicoot19
4/14/2019 8:10PM PDT

Yeah, but if you can pitch, it’s going to be tough to score runs. Even the occasional home run ive given up on the corners have had like 90-95mph ev. The fastballs I’ve gotten to up and in had 100+, but I had the best EVs on balls in the middle of the plate. 

Pitchers like orel hersheiser can flat out dice people up though because of the movement, pitch type, command and stamina. 

The real problem is that some people naturally are just good at hitting their spots so you have to hit what you get and if that person is consistently pitching down and in and your are consistently putting the PCI on the ball you should be rewarded for that, which in the current state of the game you are not rewarded for.

Comment by windmillsfordayz

You’re rewarderd sometimes. I’ve hit a few homeruns on balls down and in. I think if you can hit it early in the gsme/pitchers outing you have a better result than if their confidence level is up. I had quite a few line drives for singles on balls down and in when I was testing out my hypothesis

4/14/2019 8:14PM PDT

You’re rewarderd sometimes. I’ve hit a few homeruns on balls down and in. I think if you can hit it early in the gsme/pitchers outing you have a better result than if their confidence level is up. I had quite a few line drives for singles on balls down and in when I was testing out my hypothesis

Comment by Harryhukari33
4/14/2019 8:14PM PDT

I disagree with the whole confidences thing having an effect in the game. You can pitch 5 good innings and then get lite up in the 6th or are can get lite up right at the start of the game IRL but in MLB if you can't get anything started in the first 5 innings then you basically have to wait until they pull their pitcher because you aren't going to hit anything all game. Same with the beginning of the game if my opponent gets 2 runs right off the bat it makes my pitcher completely useless while in IRL that pitcher could still go 6/7 innings even with a bad start

4/14/2019 8:20PM PDT

I disagree with the whole confidences thing having an effect in the game. You can pitch 5 good innings and then get lite up in the 6th or are can get lite up right at the start of the game IRL but in MLB if you can't get anything started in the first 5 innings then you basically have to wait until they pull their pitcher because you aren't going to hit anything all game. Same with the beginning of the game if my opponent gets 2 runs right off the bat it makes my pitcher completely useless while in IRL that pitcher could still go 6/7 innings even with a bad start

Comment by windmillsfordayz
4/14/2019 8:20PM PDT

Well the confidence level can change. I’ve noticed in the show where I got off to a rough start and the pci shrank, then strung a few singles together and the pci got larger.

i also think that confidence also affects pitcher misses. Like when the confidence is high, they typically don’t miss in the middle of the plate. If the wheels are falling off in the inning, they miss in the middle of the plate/way off more often. 

4/14/2019 8:23PM PDT