You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

Its a shame that Tony Gwynn isn’t an immortal! The man is arguably the best pure hitter in history. Yes he didn’t hit for power but that’s because he didn’t need too.. could go 0 for in a whole season and still have an average above .300.. that’s just crazy!

7/10/2018 5:54AM PDT

who would you have him replace? As far as outfielders are concerned hes not better than griffey or the babe...

7/10/2018 5:57AM PDT

I would be happy he is not just because his grind is soo much easier and the card still will be good enough to compete

7/10/2018 5:57AM PDT

Do you think he was the best pure hitter over Ted Williams?  I don't know who I'd choose personally.  Teddy did have his >0.400 season and hit for more power.  You also have Ty Cobb who has the highest batting average in history and did it over 24 seasons.

7/10/2018 6:01AM PDT

Gwynn best hitter I've ever seen, only Brett was close. But thats because i am not old enough to have seen Ted Williams or Ty Cobb.

7/10/2018 6:14AM PDT

Yeah Gwynn is by far the best hitter I've had the luxury of watching.  I'm not old enough to have seen Cobb, Williams, or even Brett (I saw the tail end of his career).

Another great hitter in the most recent era was Manny Ramirez who actually hit 0.001 pts higher than Ichiro for his career.

7/10/2018 6:26AM PDT

I’d take Musial, and ted over Gwynn. Also, I would say what altuve is doing (if he can maintain longevity) is more impressive with all of the elite arms he’s facing. Then again, that’s a big if. 

Being a pure hitter with the way the game is played now is very special. 

7/10/2018 7:58AM PDT

Because he'd be a terrible immortal? He was incredibly consistent, but that's the complete enemy of these stupid Frankenstein cards. His immortal would be the same all contact, no power card that any version of him would be. It would be redundant. 

7/10/2018 8:36AM PDT

Gwynn was great and a definite Hall of Famer, but I think we tend to overrate him a bit because of his batting averages and low strikeout totals.

if you look at the timeframe of 1982 (his first season) to now, he ranks 1st in BA, but:

26th in fWAR

30th in OBP

255th in Slugging

83rd in wOBA, and

59th in wRC+

He was a solid base runner and a great outfielder for a time, but his defense fell off pretty hard in the second half of his career.

So I’d say he got a pretty deserving card. That said, Vlad got an immortal, and I’d say Gwynn is just as deserving, so what do I know.

7/10/2018 9:01AM PDT

Yup, afraid so, its not like he had 1 year where he hit for power.

Now a Ricky Henderson immortal. Take his 130 steal season with his late 80s pop. That is a dangerous card.

7/10/2018 9:06AM PDT

The Immortal idea is going to be with the game for years to come.  Tony Gwynn was an amazing and yes Immortal worthy player in every stat category except power.  MLBTS 18 is designed so that power is the only hitting stat that matters.  Tony Gwynn will be listed as an Immortal type card in some future edition, but this current game isn't designed to let a player of his caliber shine.

7/10/2018 10:02AM PDT