You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

Was I Demoted?

2 months ago

Hi Folks

I’ve lost track of how many games In I am in my RttS career, I think about five or six. But anyway I’ve been starting Pitcher for all but the last one and doing really well! At least... I “think” I’ve been doing well. Lots of praise, MVP at one point, opposing teams scoring very little off me and no game losses so far.

Last game though I was told I was being switched to late replacement Pitcher and during that game I only got to pitch in the ninth inning. Coming in I found the opposition were  three runs ahead (not a thing that ever happened while I was starter) and while they didn’t score any more on my watch, they still won. Which chalks up my first match loss so far. D’oh!

Why did the management do that? Were they bored of winning? The coach dished up some old tosh about wanting to mix me around to see where I was best suited. “Relax and enjoy it” he said.  But while I chose to go down the “yes boss, you know best” route, I did have the option to choose responses like “but I’m a starter!”  Should I have done that? Was I supposed to fight for the position rather than going along?

Obviously as a foreigner I’m still fairly ignorant about game tactics and such. But I gots ta tell ya.. this “opportunity” feels like I was demoted. Was I? 

Badger out.

2 months ago

Don't worry.  It's typical with RTTS that they move you around and try you at different positions.  Apparently they moved you to closing pitcher.  You would have been ok with the but I'm a starting pitcher route but he would have forced you to do it anyway.  Eventually they should give you a chance to get your starting spot back.  If your agent calls then complain to him about it.  LoL  I'm being serious.  That will probably happen.  LoL  

2 months ago 1 Like

Also, it’s worth pointing out that, while your team still lost that game, you were behind when you entered the game in a mop up role and didn’t give up any runs. You did not take the L.

2 months ago

Check the box score before you advance out of a game, if you're unsure.  (On the Post-game menu, it's Game Recap ->Box Score.)  

The devs pretty much nailed the style guide, by the way, so what you see there is pretty much what you'd see in a real-world box score.  If you're a starter, you have to complete 5 innings pitched to earn a win, but if you give up the lead early, you can still be charged with the loss.

For relievers, if you come in during a save situation, and you finish the game without surrendering the lead, that's obviously a save.  But if you get at least one out, and don't give up the lead, you'll get credited with a Hold, which may not be the most exciting stat, but does get noticed it you rack up enough of those without blowing the save. 

If you come on in relief, and your team is trailing, do your best:  if your team rallies, that's your win.  Regardless, don't mail in your mop-up appearances:  you may not be on the hook for the loss, but it still counts on your ERA.

Getting tried out at different positions is something you should expect early on.  It's not a demotion.

2 months ago

Hi Folks

I’ve lost track of how many games In I am in my RttS career, I think about five or six. But anyway I’ve been starting Pitcher for all but the last one and doing really well! At least... I “think” I’ve been doing well. Lots of praise, MVP at one point, opposing teams scoring very little off me and no game losses so far.

Last game though I was told I was being switched to late replacement Pitcher and during that game I only got to pitch in the ninth inning. Coming in I found the opposition were  three runs ahead (not a thing that ever happened while I was starter) and while they didn’t score any more on my watch, they still won. Which chalks up my first match loss so far. D’oh!

Why did the management do that? Were they bored of winning? The coach dished up some old tosh about wanting to mix me around to see where I was best suited. “Relax and enjoy it” he said.  But while I chose to go down the “yes boss, you know best” route, I did have the option to choose responses like “but I’m a starter!”  Should I have done that? Was I supposed to fight for the position rather than going along?

Obviously as a foreigner I’m still fairly ignorant about game tactics and such. But I gots ta tell ya.. this “opportunity” feels like I was demoted. Was I? 

Badger out.

Comment by GrayBadger
about 10 hours ago

I've played this game tons and they always have you switch positions early in the minors it seems... if you don't want to get benched and/or traded just go with it... normally after a few games they will move you back to your original position. Maybe I haven't played enough but in my experience the move is never permanent. 

It is fun to be argumentative with the manager though. I forgot what team I was one but I simmed about 5 years as a starting pitcher. Anyway I did the "but I'm a starter" and refused to go to the bullpen and after getting benched I got called back into the office and still refused to go to the bullpen and was then promptly traded to the Rays. Funny enough I got to be a starter again for the Rays before eventually getting shoved into the bullpen with no option it was like the Rays just said we going to put him in the bullpen and there's nothing he can do about it, which I found to be both funny and odd at the same time.

2 months ago

Hey all

You’ve called it.  I played a couple of late relief games and then got offered my original position back. Looks like the Bowie Baysox know a good thing when they see it. :)  

Not sure how good I’ll look once I finish my starter career and bump the difficulty level up a notch. Right now these chaps are clearly being paid to make me look good. Lol. 

2 months ago

Hey all

You’ve called it.  I played a couple of late relief games and then got offered my original position back. Looks like the Bowie Baysox know a good thing when they see it. :)  

Not sure how good I’ll look once I finish my starter career and bump the difficulty level up a notch. Right now these chaps are clearly being paid to make me look good. Lol. 

Comment by GrayBadger
about 19 hours ago

Have you tried playing with dynamic difficulty ?As you get better the game gets harder until eventually you find the difficulty level you are comfortable with.

2 months ago

Really? Sounds just the job. I’ll check that out thanks :)