You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

Thumb/PCI Positioning

6 days ago

What's your approach when you hit?

I'm pretty bad at hitting--I generally keep myself in/win games by pitching pretty well. I'm jealous of people who can hit any pitch at any time.

It's obvious to me as you move up in RS staying in the center with the PCI won't cut it, I rarely ever do that. Sometimes I pick a location and hover like low-middle, but even then it gets more difficult as the players get better. So, what's the move? Where do you start your PCI? Do you give up a part of the zone each pitch? This may sound trivial, but it actually seems like a big deal to me--how do you place your thumb on the PCI? Depending on which side of the stick you put it on, it seems easier to move the stick certain directions, and whether the stick is on the tip or further down the base of the thumb may affect how far you can move to the edges of the strike zone. Pulling down on the stick is a real problem for me--it's so hard to just partially move the PCI quickly. One problem I have is that it's easier for me to hit pitches at the edges of the strike zone than those just off the middle of the plate. That also makes it more likely that I'll chase since the most hittable pitches are close to being balls. Thoughts? 

6 days ago

I'm a center swinging knuckle dragger...right jj?  'Course, I only play offline, so what do I know...

6 days ago 1 Like

I think you have to get comfortable with the swing timing of pitches as well as knowing the strike zone first.  If timing isn’t there it doesn’t matter how well you can square it up.  

If you use dynamic pci starting high and tracking from the pitchers hand works and if starting low I would use reticle.   Everyone finds what works for them.  

Probably the worst thing you could do is keep changing your approach during a game.  Get comfortable with something and commit to it. 

6 days ago

I find Kontrol Freaks help a bit with moving. I pretty much just have one on the left stick.

I am a pretty crappy hitter too, but I have been working on not missing the fastballs, firstly, and mistake pitches secondly.

This approach is getting me deeper into counts and helping me to chase less.

IMO, being able to get the PCI on pitches that are good to hit is more important.

Just my .02 cents worth.

6 days ago

Ask Mitchhammond, he seems pretty good at hitting "fluke" hrs lol

Show Replies
6 days ago

Keep playing 

6 days ago

Yeah man get control freaks those help with placement. Top players have recommended the Cqcs. I start my pci in the center and react on a normal pitch. Off of splitter ballers, I start at the very bottom of the zone.

It just takes a lot of practice use custom bp or cotw

Show Replies
4 days ago 1 Like

What's your approach when you hit?

I'm pretty bad at hitting--I generally keep myself in/win games by pitching pretty well. I'm jealous of people who can hit any pitch at any time.

It's obvious to me as you move up in RS staying in the center with the PCI won't cut it, I rarely ever do that. Sometimes I pick a location and hover like low-middle, but even then it gets more difficult as the players get better. So, what's the move? Where do you start your PCI? Do you give up a part of the zone each pitch? This may sound trivial, but it actually seems like a big deal to me--how do you place your thumb on the PCI? Depending on which side of the stick you put it on, it seems easier to move the stick certain directions, and whether the stick is on the tip or further down the base of the thumb may affect how far you can move to the edges of the strike zone. Pulling down on the stick is a real problem for me--it's so hard to just partially move the PCI quickly. One problem I have is that it's easier for me to hit pitches at the edges of the strike zone than those just off the middle of the plate. That also makes it more likely that I'll chase since the most hittable pitches are close to being balls. Thoughts? 

Comment by JCRocket25
2 days ago

Hey OP, I don’t think you’re off with thumb positioning at all. I think it does matter. Of course, I think the answer is what works best for you. For me, I have Kontrol Freaks and I put the taller on one the left stick for MLB (the taller, the more precise). And it might sound weird, but what I have found works best for me is putting the meat of my thumb on the bottom edge of the stick. I don’t put my thumb or tip in the middle. I feel if I’m on the edge, it works better. From there, I usually hover around the middle with my PCI, sometimes move it a tiny bit before the pitch so I have the feel. Or I sit up and in becuase I feel those are sometimes the toughest to reach. I fluctuate at times between sitting up and in or hovering middle.

granted I’m not the greatest hitter, but it’s what be found that works best for me. Like you, always willing to hear suggestions. Good luck finding your sweet spot.

4 days ago

I like to but the joy stick in the lower part of my thumb (closest to my palm) to make movement slower to keep from jamming the PCI too far down or up. 

I also have have recently started to angle my thumb closer to horizontal than vertical if that makes senses. Feels a little awkward holding it there but I feel more natural moving my PCI throughout the strike zone