You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

User to Avoid if you don't want to waste an hour+ of your life

6 days ago 6 Likes

Unbelievable the game I just played. This kid took cheese, and took it to a whole other level. I was really having a great time with this game the past couple weeks and this has just inspired me to take a much needed break. If a guy had 40+ speed, he would steal on every pitch. Pitchout? He'd return to first. Throw back to first? He'd go to second. 

On top of that, he'd take extra steps off first and second with guys of the likes of Trout, Mondesi, etc. I don't know how many times it's been said on this forum, but if you give a guy with 95+ steal and speed an extra step off first, you can't physically throw them out. Slide step all you want, he's getting into second base. Pitchout all you want, he'll return to first and you'll have wasted a pitch. So naturally, I try to throw over or step off until he gets the point that I'm not just going to let him have free bases. Yeah this didn't work on this guy. I feel like an idiot having wasted 20+ minutes playing the old "take an extra step, step off" game. The moment I give up and deliver to the plate he steals and we're back to square 1.

I will add, that this usually does not bother me. If I see a guy using exploits like that, he normally is not skilled at the game and I am able to beat him by just playing smart, patient, and straight up.. But this was a little different. He had every single immortal card you could possibly want on your team. FILLED his bench with guys that have 85+ speed so that he could sub out at will when he got a guy on base. On top of this... The guy actually can hit a little bit. Not only will he frustrate you with baserunning straight out of the depths of hell, he'll be able to hit a mistake pitch deep with one of his immortal cards.

I'm just confused as to why a guy would spend days upon days of his life grinding for all these immortal cards, just to play the game the way he plays it. The game we played was not anything like baseball. How is that fun? How is that enjoyable? 

Anyways, I don't think I'm supposed to throw a username directly in a post like this so... check my last game for the name of the user. Honestly, quit out if you face him. No point in wasting your own time and frustrating yourself like that.

On a side note, SDS please put me in the alpha. I want to help so that this type of stuff can't happen as often! Let's fix stealing! Let's fix the hitting engine! I love this game. But let's blow it out of the water with 19.

6 days ago

This is why I want injuries to come back next year. Guy who took an extra step always ran the risk of getting hurt sliding back to the bag. Now there’s nothing to stop this behavior. 

6 days ago 3 Likes

First of all I never took an extra lead off of first. I never do that because the probability of getting picked off is pretty high. You threw over to second repeatedly but never got me out so why should I stop leading off second. Leading off is part of baseball. And if I get picked off, which I and I’m sure we all have plenty of times, so be it. And Ive gotten thrown out at third numerous times trying to steal after a lead off at second with an 85+ speed guy, so your theory of stealing third after a lead off being automatic is wrong. And who wouldn’t run all day long if you have Schwarber behind the plate. You’re the one who wants to sacrifice defense for offense. And look at my team guy, I don’t have every single immortal. In fact, I only had Griffey, Piazza, Williams, and Sandberg starting for me, along side a silver, Scott Schebler who I guarantee no other World Series player starts. I also have 78 Pedro Alvarez, 64 JP Howell, 70 Jonny Venters, and 77 Darren O’Day on my team. One last thing, remember you also pinch ran with Reyes and Mondesi. I was just able to control your run game. Stop wasting your time crying you god damn millennial.

Bottom line I’m a much better player than you. I was ranked within the top 40 this past ranked season and I guarantee I will get higher. You compare me vs you in terms of wins, loses, runs, avg, ERA, and I shellack you in each category.

Show Replies
6 days ago

Pretty sure I have played the opponent you mentioned, to similar end.

6 days ago 6 Likes

First of all I never took an extra lead off first. I never do that because the probability of getting picked off is pretty high. You threw over to second repeatedly but never got me out so why should I stop leading off second. Leading off is part of baseball. And if I get picked off, which I and I’m sure we all have plenty of times, so be it. And Ive gotten thrown out at third numerous times trying to steal after a lead off at second so your theory of stealing third after a lead off being automatic is wrong. And who wouldn’t run all day long if you have Schwarber behind the plate. You’re the one who wants to sacrifice defense for offense. And look at my team guy, I don’t have every single immortal. In fact, I only had Griffey, Piazza, Williams, and Sandberg starting for me, along side a silver, Scott Schebler who I guarantee no other World Series player starts. I also have 78 Pedro Alvarez, 64 JP Howell, 70 Jonny Venters, and 77 Darren O’Day on my team. One last thing, remember you also pinch ran with Reyes and Mondesi. I was just able to control your run game. Stop wasting your time crying you god damn millennial.

Bottom line I’m a much better player than you. I was ranked within the top 40 this past ranked season and I guarantee I will get higher. You compare you vs me, in terms of wins, loses, runs, avg, ERA, I shellack you in each category.

Comment by Lawman277
21 minutes ago

You’re a clown, cheesing for sport. No use painting it as anything else. Good day

6 days ago 8 Likes

First of all I never took an extra lead off first. I never do that because the probability of getting picked off is pretty high. You threw over to second repeatedly but never got me out so why should I stop leading off second. Leading off is part of baseball. And if I get picked off, which I and I’m sure we all have plenty of times, so be it. And Ive gotten thrown out at third numerous times trying to steal after a lead off at second with an 85+ speed guy, so your theory of stealing third after a lead off being automatic is wrong. And who wouldn’t run all day long if you have Schwarber behind the plate. You’re the one who wants to sacrifice defense for offense. And look at my team guy, I don’t have every single immortal. In fact, I only had Griffey, Piazza, Williams, and Sandberg starting for me, along side a silver, Scott Schebler who I guarantee no other World Series player starts. I also have 78 Pedro Alvarez, 64 JP Howell, 70 Jonny Venters, and 77 Darren O’Day on my team. One last thing, remember you also pinch ran with Reyes and Mondesi. I was just able to control your run game. Stop wasting your time crying you god damn millennial.

Bottom line I’m a much better player than you. I was ranked within the top 40 this past ranked season and I guarantee I will get higher. You compare me vs you in terms of wins, loses, runs, avg, ERA, and I shellack you in each category.

Comment by Lawman277
about 2 hours ago

ppl like u should go back to playin lego Barbie 

Show Replies
6 days ago 2 Likes
This comment has been deleted.
6 days ago 1 Like

"Honestly, quit out if you face him. No point in wasting your own time and frustrating yourself like that."

And that's why they do it.

To be clear, I'd do the same, but you asked why someone would play like this and that's the answer.

The real problem is that SDS doesn't properly test their own game and they don't patch obvious exploits. They just don't seem to care, unfortunately.

6 days ago 3 Likes

Lol, the time of the day I have to play I see a lot of, well, "Eastern" flags.  And i dont mean Eastern USA.  Far East. Interesting gameplay I see for sure.

Show Replies
6 days ago 2 Likes

"Honestly, quit out if you face him. No point in wasting your own time and frustrating yourself like that."

And that's why they do it.

To be clear, I'd do the same, but you asked why someone would play like this and that's the answer.

The real problem is that SDS doesn't properly test their own game and they don't patch obvious exploits. They just don't seem to care, unfortunately.

Comment by Qeltar_
about 1 hour ago

That's just it, I'm not sure if the stuff can be fixed. I've felt with this crap since I started playing Madden online nearly 20 years ago.

Every year there was some new exploit that cheesers found to have success with and just keep doing it.

It's the mentality that winning is most important thing. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's the same mentality that PED users have. They don't care about rules or winning fairly. It's just about winning. And it's a mentality I never understood.

6 days ago 1 Like

The "win at any cost" mentality can't be fixed, but it can be toned down. And game exploits can easily be dealt with.

For example, stopping on a dime and running back to first on a pitch out. Easily fixed. I've played games that fixed it.

Baserunning cheese -- same. Make rundowns automatic, for example. Make changing direction take more time.

Base stealing can be rebalanced. It's tricky since you don't want base stealers to become useless, but it's too easy right now.

Also, the "win at any cost" mentality is made worse by the incentive systems. In particular, putting rare exclusive rewards only at the top tiers is what does this, one of the reasons I recommended against them.

When rewards are linear -- each rank is a little better than the one before -- people don't go all out to win as much.

So yes there's a lot they can do.

6 days ago

The "win at any cost" mentality can't be fixed, but it can be toned down. And game exploits can easily be dealt with.

For example, stopping on a dime and running back to first on a pitch out. Easily fixed. I've played games that fixed it.

Baserunning cheese -- same. Make rundowns automatic, for example. Make changing direction take more time.

Base stealing can be rebalanced. It's tricky since you don't want base stealers to become useless, but it's too easy right now.

Also, the "win at any cost" mentality is made worse by the incentive systems. In particular, putting rare exclusive rewards only at the top tiers is what does this, one of the reasons I recommended against them.

When rewards are linear -- each rank is a little better than the one before -- people don't go all out to win as much.

So yes there's a lot they can do.

Comment by Qeltar_
7 minutes ago

Yeah these issues can be fixed, but I'm sure they will find something else. Remember they fixed bunt cheese.

Yes if there were no rewards for RS, BR, and events, we may not see this behavior as much, but I'd have to wonder who would even bother to play it. Maybe the people who find vs CPU play boring.

6 days ago

Of course the cheesers will always look to whatever is next. But gaming companies that care about balance -- and I've seen many -- will continually work to address this.

SDS doesn't. Why? Only they know.

They didn't fix bunt cheese anyway -- they just ruined bunting by making it almost impossible. That's a hack, not a fix.

I never said there should be no rewards for RS, etc. I said there shouldn't be exclusive "you can only get this player if you reach X rank" rewards, like Kershaw last month. That sort of stuff encourges cheesing much more than, say, the reward structure for December. (A 97-98 Finest is a great reward, but there are other ways to get them.)

6 days ago

Of course the cheesers will always look to whatever is next. But gaming companies that care about balance -- and I've seen many -- will continually work to address this.

SDS doesn't. Why? Only they know.

They didn't fix bunt cheese anyway -- they just ruined bunting by making it almost impossible. That's a hack, not a fix.

I never said there should be no rewards for RS, etc. I said there shouldn't be exclusive "you can only get this player if you reach X rank" rewards, like Kershaw last month. That sort of stuff encourges cheesing much more than, say, the reward structure for December. (A 97-98 Finest is a great reward, but there are other ways to get them.)

Comment by Qeltar_
7 minutes ago

I'll be sure to point to this post the next time you get accused of being an SDS fan boy.

Yes the didn't fix buntcheese, they broke bunting to stop it. So agree my wording was wrong, but the sentiment was there on their part  which they are now trying to rectify.

Kershaw/Sandberg thing was awful, they stuck to their guns on not allowing them to be sold on market and caused a lot of issues. Boosting more than cheesing.

Cheesers are going to cheese, regardless of what's at stake its truly in their nature, I'm not sure there is anything that can be done to discourage this behavior.

6 days ago 1 Like

The problem with SDS is not that they never address issues but that they address them too slowly and too incompletely.

I worked QA for a game company for a while and when stuff like this happened it was addressed within days. They'd see what happened and a couple of weeks later tweak it.

In contrast.. SDS ignores most cheese issues and make glacially slow changes for the others.

I only started playing in late 2017 but I remember people complaining about knuckleballers. Here we are a year later, nothing has changed. Why? This is not difficult.

Or the bunting.. how can they have left it like this the entire season, where even a pitcher trying to bunt over a guy on 1st will pop it up or hit into a double play a huge percentage of the time?

You fix cheesing by getting rid of the cheese and not encouraging it through exclusive rewards. As much as people get upset at guys who do things like stealing all the time or using knuckleballers, only one entity has the real power to change that stuff: the developers. They are to blame for the fact that this game continues to be played in the dairy aisle.

The only explanation I can come up with for why they don't address these problems is that they don't care because the money keeps rolling in. Most corporations only act when the bottom line is threatened. This is why I put no value on complaints from people who buy microtransactions.

PS Yes, in all gaming forums I simultaneously get accused of being "too negative" and being a fan boy. It's amusing.

6 days ago

The problem with SDS is not that they never address issues but that they address them too slowly and too incompletely.

I worked QA for a game company for a while and when stuff like this happened it was addressed within days. They'd see what happened and a couple of weeks later tweak it.

In contrast.. SDS ignores most cheese issues and make glacially slow changes for the others.

I only started playing in late 2017 but I remember people complaining about knuckleballers. Here we are a year later, nothing has changed. Why? This is not difficult.

Or the bunting.. how can they have left it like this the entire season, where even a pitcher trying to bunt over a guy on 1st will pop it up or hit into a double play a huge percentage of the time?

You fix cheesing by getting rid of the cheese and not encouraging it through exclusive rewards. As much as people get upset at guys who do things like stealing all the time or using knuckleballers, only one entity has the real power to change that stuff: the developers. They are to blame for the fact that this game continues to be played in the dairy aisle.

The only explanation I can come up with for why they don't address these problems is that they don't care because the money keeps rolling in. Most corporations only act when the bottom line is threatened. This is why I put no value on complaints from people who buy microtransactions.

PS Yes, in all gaming forums I simultaneously get accused of being "too negative" and being a fan boy. It's amusing.

Comment by Qeltar_
8 minutes ago

Agreed. SDS is the only people who can fix it. Last I saw, cheese wasnt an option for reporting a user.

Maybe if it were an option, it would be a little bit of a deterrent, a test until the cheesers saw no repercussions.

The other part is most if these cheesers have convinced themselves that what they are doing is fair game, they would probably only make a headache for SDS to try and address it.

As far as making fixes to prevent it, they cant seem to fix any problems that we talk about on here, at least not until the new version comes out.

Most people would rather see contact hitters be useful rather than fix fielding animations that allow users to take advantage with baserunning cheese.

Which means people on here figure they will just outhit the cheeser, rather than stop the cheeser from being that way.

So in other words, git gud...

6 days ago 2 Likes

I will never be a good player. I am too old, I don't have the reaction time.

I just want to play honest baseball.

I don't expect SDS to put out patches in December. But most of this nonsense has been going on for a long, long time.

Show Replies
6 days ago

I will never be a good player. I am too old, I don't have the reaction time.

I just want to play honest baseball.

I don't expect SDS to put out patches in December. But most of this nonsense has been going on for a long, long time.

Comment by Qeltar_
12 minutes ago

No doubt, cheese was bad last year, they said they fixed fielding animations, but still seeing the same things this year.

I also think a bad dynamic to this is connectivity with opponent causes things to move slower, so things that wont work vs the CPU work H2H. And I dont know I'd SDS has anyway of fixing it.

Side note, maybe we should have am old man tournament. For 40+ guys on here.

Be curious to see if any one on here over the age of 40 are cheesers.

6 days ago

Lag problems are to some extent unavoidable and the ones that are avoidable are tricky. I honestly don't come down on them too much for that.

I did play a game once where they dealt with excessive lag pretty simply: they checked it on occasion and if it was ridiculously bad, you got booted out of the game with a loss. Obviously harsh for some people but I see valid reasons for it.

What bugs me is the very obvious abuses that they could fix EASILY but ignore. Right at the top of the list is aborted steals. You can watch real baseball for an entire season and never see someone stop 1/3 of the way into a steal and run back. They could very easily fix this: you start stealing, you're going to second. Period. Many games do this.

I've met a lot of very immature middle-agers and also remember there are some people who really do think "win any way possible" is a valid strategy. So I am sure there are some old fart cheesers. But most are younger because this sort of aggressive behavior is often associated with "testosterone poisoning."

Tournament sounds like a cool idea. I started DD in November so my team is meh, and I can't hit the side of a barn, but I don't mind losing to someone as long as it's actually baseball we are playing.

6 days ago

Lag problems are to some extent unavoidable and the ones that are avoidable are tricky. I honestly don't come down on them too much for that.

I did play a game once where they dealt with excessive lag pretty simply: they checked it on occasion and if it was ridiculously bad, you got booted out of the game with a loss. Obviously harsh for some people but I see valid reasons for it.

What bugs me is the very obvious abuses that they could fix EASILY but ignore. Right at the top of the list is aborted steals. You can watch real baseball for an entire season and never see someone stop 1/3 of the way into a steal and run back. They could very easily fix this: you start stealing, you're going to second. Period. Many games do this.

I've met a lot of very immature middle-agers and also remember there are some people who really do think "win any way possible" is a valid strategy. So I am sure there are some old fart cheesers. But most are younger because this sort of aggressive behavior is often associated with "testosterone poisoning."

Tournament sounds like a cool idea. I started DD in November so my team is meh, and I can't hit the side of a barn, but I don't mind losing to someone as long as it's actually baseball we are playing.

Comment by Qeltar_
5 minutes ago

Yeah, but honestly, the only way to get guaranteed straight game is to know your opponent.

The only way to get better is to keep playing. H2H is a completely different game than vs CPU and has to be played differently.

I started playing DD lastyear, when I first got online, i was terrible. Obviously switching my TV to game mode made biggest difference  but after that it was patience and practice.

Still not a WS guy, but I win more than I lose. Which is about all I can ask for.

6 days ago

That makes sense.

I've only played a handful of RS games this year and none even went 9 innings. I started at the bottom and blew out guys so they quit, and then I quit a couple that were total mismatches. Planning to take it a bit more easy this month.

6 days ago 1 Like
Show Replies
6 days ago

That makes sense.

I've only played a handful of RS games this year and none even went 9 innings. I started at the bottom and blew out guys so they quit, and then I quit a couple that were total mismatches. Planning to take it a bit more easy this month.

Comment by Qeltar_
19 minutes ago

Sadly best thing you can do, if you want to get better, is not quit those games. You can learn, even getting blown out.

The best way to win online is to figure out what your opponent is doing strategy wise.

Guys who live in one way are the easiest. Some guys only pitch one way, once you figure that out. You wait for the pitch you know is coming and you hope you dont miss.

H2H is about playing your opponent, not his cards, not your cards, but learning his weaknesses and keeping yours hidden.

I said it in another thread, you can throw any pitch you want anywhere, as long as you aren't predictable. In fact what i love is to look predictable  then deliberately throw something he'd never see coming. 

6 days ago

Good advice. And I don't plan to quit any more RS games. Just finishing a small bit of CPU grinding to try to get Ryan. I may not be able to control him but I want to try. :)

6 days ago

Good advice. And I don't plan to quit any more RS games. Just finishing a small bit of CPU grinding to try to get Ryan. I may not be able to control him but I want to try. :)

Comment by Qeltar_
3 minutes ago

Yeah, I loved watching Ryan as a kid, his card is great, until he isnt. Hard to control, and if you get in trouble with him, get him out of there.

Show Replies