You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

Immortals n2g

7 days ago

There's just no where to throw to against an immortal unless your pitchers H/9 n HR/9 are very high I found out. Your telling me my on the black pitches are getting hit out. Hey maybe it's glitch Coors lol, (MGs favorite) Seriously if u have more than 4 immortal hitters u can just have the W.

7 days ago

Isn’t HR/9 a sim stat that doesn’t effect anything.....

Show Replies
7 days ago 5 Likes

It’s not the card you’re pitching to, it’s the player.

Show Replies
7 days ago 3 Likes

From what I've seen of you playing, they don't need any immortals to beat you.

7 days ago 1 Like

It’s not the card you’re pitching to, it’s the player.

Comment by halfbutt
17 minutes ago

Yeah, in moonshot event I had commons get out my immortals.

7 days ago 2 Likes

I still don't understand these posts.  You know a hitter IRL doesn't see a strike zone hanging over the plate right?  If a great hitter is looking for a pitch they'll hit it.  It amazes me people think hitters are relegated to only hitting balls in the strike zone.  

I'll give you the early timed HR's on away pitches being a crock of $hit, but on the black is still hittable.

7 days ago

The real issue isn't on the black or not, the issue is too many home runs and it being too easy to hit low balls that in real baseball are very difficult for most batters to do much with.

7 days ago 1 Like

The real issue isn't on the black or not, the issue is too many home runs and it being too easy to hit low balls that in real baseball are very difficult for most batters to do much with.

Comment by Qeltar_
15 minutes ago

I am not sure I agree with this.  Mark DeRosa is pretty clear that pitchers now like to utilize the upper portion of the zone with the fly ball revolution going on in the game today.

7 days ago

They utilize the upper portion of the zone but nobody intentionally throws (for example) a changeup at the belt.

In this game you can throw one at the ankles and nearly any power hitter can knock it out. It rewards people who mash the PCI stick down instead of placing it properly.

Mashing the stick down should nearly always result in a popup. They tried to fix this earlier in the year but didn't do it right and backed off.

ETA: Low fastballs are also too easy to hit. In the event I literally cannot throw a perfectly placed fastball at the knees -- they get hammered every time. This is busted.

7 days ago

They utilize the upper portion of the zone but nobody intentionally throws (for example) a changeup at the belt.

In this game you can throw one at the ankles and nearly any power hitter can knock it out. It rewards people who mash the PCI stick down instead of placing it properly.

Mashing the stick down should nearly always result in a popup. They tried to fix this earlier in the year but didn't do it right and backed off.

Comment by Qeltar_
4 minutes ago

I hate to be that guy then, but stop throwing change ups at the ankles. You are feeding the button mashers HRs. 

7 days ago 1 Like

ETA: Low fastballs are also too easy to hit. In the event I literally cannot throw a perfectly placed fastball at the knees -- they get hammered every time. This is busted.

Comment by Qeltar_
7 minutes ago

I hate to be that guy then, but stop throwing change ups at the ankles. You are feeding the button mashers HRs. 

Comment by BIGHOOV2713
3 minutes ago

I don't have a lot of choice, do I?

Anything in the strikezone gets hammered, except for occasionally up high.

As I just added to my post, I can't throw "peas at the knees" because IRL that's how you throw a shutout and in this game it's how you end up in the showers.

Almost everyone is jumping at every pitch. When a guy keeps being early on a 98 MPH fastball, what am I supposed to do, exactly?

I've worked on adjusting my placement but the problem the OP stated is really pretty valid. You can't throw good quality strikes in this game, they get destroyed.

Show Replies
7 days ago 1 Like

Comment by Qeltar_
34 minutes ago

The actual true issue is that fact that almost the entire PCI can be moved out of the zone in order to hit these pitches this year. Last year, not really the case.  

I personally don’t mind the PCI range (mostly because I just don’t spam low offspeed-I actually pitch-learn tendencies of hitters and see what they do well with and what they don’t handle well etc) but I think that has seriously hampered some folks ability to strike other players out (at least those that whine about pitches at the ankles or off the black or outside pitches getting yanked for HRs). 

I don’t know. JMO

7 days ago

Comment by Qeltar_
16 minutes ago

Comment by BIGHOOV2713
12 minutes ago

I don't have a lot of choice, do I?

Anything in the strikezone gets hammered, except for occasionally up high.

As I just added to my post, I can't throw "peas at the knees" because IRL that's how you throw a shutout and in this game it's how you end up in the showers.

Almost everyone is jumping at every pitch. When a guy keeps being early on a 98 MPH fastball, what am I supposed to do, exactly?

I've worked on adjusting my placement but the problem the OP stated is really pretty valid. You can't throw good quality strikes in this game, they get destroyed.

Comment by Qeltar_
10 minutes ago

Well quality strikes in this game are pitches with movement either away or into hitters and they must be mixed properly and must be just close enough to draw a swing. 

Obviously, in the higher levels, the much more skilled players (those pushing the buttons) also have the best players (immortals and finest and the like) so there is going to be very little margin for error. 

I still strike out tons of folks in events and BR with commons on up to diamonds (I haven’t used my immortal SPs yet). There are ways to do it, but it is much tougher this year compared to others due to the expanded range of the PCI this year. 

I understand the comment/complaint, but feel as though it is kind of a cop out at this point. 

7 days ago

Comment by Qeltar_
19 minutes ago

This is a problem SDS can't tackle easily for the simple reason they don't account much for an individual hitter's strengths and weaknesses.  On that same account they don't do it for pitchers either.  These power guys today that rely on launch angle want the fastball down.  They get better launch angles and more back spin.  Mike Trout is a notorious low ball killer, as are most left handed hitters.  You got other guys that prefer the ball elevated.  Some like it inside, others prefer the ball middle away (yes another DeRosa quote).  Every hitter can be utilized the same way, which is why we don't see much variation from cards other than what their power attribute is.  The simulation aspects should revolve around the players input against each other.  I place a good fastball in a pitcher's count in your cold zone, you shouldn't be hitting it hard unless you really line the sumbitch up.  In this year's game, you can be early and out of the PCI and pull HR's with ease.

The hot and cold zones really need to be given more attention.  Especially now with all the advanced data that is available.  If they can utilize statcast data to determine speed, why can't they establish Hot/Cold zones effectively?  These zones don't really change much over time.  Fangraphs has a great heat map that you can look up for any player and see where they hit the ball well and where they don't.  

If there was one redeeming quality about MLB 2k games it was the pitching/hitting duel.  For starters, only fastballs could be purposely aimed in the upper third of the zone.  Breaking balls and change ups could only be placed so high, and if one got up there because of your pitching input they were crushed.  Hot and cold zones were very influential in hit success.  If you attacked a lot of pitches in your blue zone you had lower success rates, but if you got pitches into your red zone your success rate was higher.  

Show Replies
7 days ago

" The actual true issue is that fact that almost the entire PCI can be moved out of the zone in order to hit these pitches this year. "

That's kind of what I mean. You can easily square up a ball that IRL most batters would barely be reaching.

Didn't they try to restrict PCI movement earlier in the year and everyone screamed about it?

I am fine with the PCI extending well out of the zone BUT it should also dramatically shrink when you do this. It should be possible to hit a changeup at the shins 450 feet but it should be rare.

We'll see what they do in 2019.

I'm not a competitive player (and never will be, too old) -- I just want the game to be realistic and feel like I'm rewarded for pitching well.

When a guy swings at a ball way out of the zone, you shouldn't be consistently punished the way you are now.

ETA: Chuck, agree with most of what you wrote.

Show Replies
7 days ago

I'm just saying is I can't compete with that kind of contact or power, my pitching is pretty decent but when u reward a player in the 1st inn with 3 hrs and I'm pitching black I'm done, I rather quit then pitch anymore.

Show Replies
7 days ago

In General I agree.  There needs to be WAAAAAY more 97-99’s in next year’s game.  Last year preference was more of an option.  This year, everyone seems to have the same guys because they are simply better than the rest.  Last year, I used AS Zobrist over 99 Utley because I just did better with Zobrist.  I was sneaky good with him and I did well.  I hope next year’s game gives lineups much more diversity.  At at the looks of it, they are off to a good start.  We are guaranteed at least 30 diamond flashbacks at launch.  Sure, they will probably be low diamonds.  But its a good start.

Show Replies
7 days ago

Dude, balls on the corners and edges are the easiest to hit in this game cause ur opponent can just mash the pci to the edge. In between pitches are harder to get the pci on.

Show Replies
6 days ago 1 Like

I still don't understand these posts.  You know a hitter IRL doesn't see a strike zone hanging over the plate right?  If a great hitter is looking for a pitch they'll hit it.  It amazes me people think hitters are relegated to only hitting balls in the strike zone.  

I'll give you the early timed HR's on away pitches being a crock of $hit, but on the black is still hittable.

Comment by Chuck_Dizzle29
about 11 hours ago

I know we do t get along, but I couldn’t agree with you more here. The whole “he crushed my pitch, and it was even out of the strike zone!!” Argument is BS. If it’s what you’re looking for, and you’re good, it’s being hit hard. They made a pretty big point about the pci being able to reach further now, essentially for this reason. In my opinion it was a good patch. 

Show Replies
6 days ago 2 Likes

I'm just saying is I can't compete with that kind of contact or power, my pitching is pretty decent but when u reward a player in the 1st inn with 3 hrs and I'm pitching black I'm done, I rather quit then pitch anymore.

Comment by jjdaggas25
about 17 hours ago

“My pitching is pretty decent”

Right................

6 days ago 1 Like

about 19 hours ago

I know we do t get along, but I couldn’t agree with you more here. The whole “he crushed my pitch, and it was even out of the strike zone!!” Argument is BS. If it’s what you’re looking for, and you’re good, it’s being hit hard. They made a pretty big point about the pci being able to reach further now, essentially for this reason. In my opinion it was a good patch. 

Comment by TubaTim90
about 8 hours ago

Haha it's never been personal from me.  I have read your posts in other topics and agreed with your opinions.  

I agree that PCI range was a good thing in some ways.  I like the increased difficulty of placement, as well as being able to cover a more realistic area.  The problem has been some unintended consequences like the early timing swings that get autocorrected into good results.

I have some ideas concerning the PCI I'm going to post about sometime today.  I won't deny I'm borderline obsessed with this game, regardless of my time I can put into it.

6 days ago

about 19 hours ago

Comment by TubaTim90
about 8 hours ago

Haha it's never been personal from me.  I have read your posts in other topics and agreed with your opinions.  

I agree that PCI range was a good thing in some ways.  I like the increased difficulty of placement, as well as being able to cover a more realistic area.  The problem has been some unintended consequences like the early timing swings that get autocorrected into good results.

I have some ideas concerning the PCI I'm going to post about sometime today.  I won't deny I'm borderline obsessed with this game, regardless of my time I can put into it.

10 minutes ago

Stop getting along you two, it'll make my head explode. Lol

6 days ago

Comment by jjdaggas25
about 20 hours ago

Right................

Comment by mitchschaller23
about 3 hours ago

Lol are u happy the fact I stayed n gave up 3 hrs in the 1st or mad that I quit?

6 days ago 2 Likes

Comment by jjdaggas25
about 20 hours ago

Right................

about 4 hours ago

Lol are u happy the fact I stayed n gave up 3 hrs in the 1st or mad that I quit?

Comment by jjdaggas25
35 minutes ago

I’m saying your pitching isn’t what you claim it to be you incompetent moron.

6 days ago

Right................

about 4 hours ago

Comment by jjdaggas25
about 1 hour ago

I’m saying your pitching isn’t what you claim it to be you incompetent moron.

13 minutes ago

I take my talking to the field u down for some on Hof or is that to difficult for u troll?