You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

Who won the Trade:? Goldy to Cards!

6 days ago

Trading 3 high prospects for a rental always is a risk, we'll see if it pays off.

Comment by SwaggyD4803
about 1 hour ago

Normally you could argue the potential for buyer's remorse, but in this instance the Cardinals traded three players that weren't expected to contribute much in 2019, one whom hasn't seen much action past AA.  

One year of Goldschmidt and first rights to negotiate a deal with him for those 3 players and pick was a great move.  He makes the Cardinals better all around, the presence in the lineup will make pitchers have to pitch more to Carp as well.  

I'm sure Mo is dangling Jose Martinez to the AL for bullpen pieces now. 

Show Replies
6 days ago

Doesn't mean that the trade is then a great trade, anything can happen with good prospects. Goldschmidt is great, but there is still a risk of him leaving after this year, with prospects gone on top of that. 

6 days ago

If I'm Goldschmidt, unless I think I'm about to suck the joint out, I see zero reason to even consider discussing an extension at this stage of the game.

Comment by Qeltar_
about 16 hours ago

Because you get the honor and privilege to play in front of the "Best Fans in Baseball" for 81 games a season.  Just ask a cardinal fan they will tell you how great they are.

Comment by brandonbigtime
about 2 hours ago

I see this all the time from people.  It's obviously not a quantifiable statement, but the support for the team on a consistent basis and the ballpark experience in undeniable.  

My son and I practically lived in the updated standing room only section last year.  The stadium is always mostly full and for a visiting fan it's far from unpleasant.  My wife and I went on a brewery tour that had some Pirates fans in town for a game, great people.  Come to find out when we got to the game later they were in the section to the right of us.  

We bought beers for each other, talked a bunch of friendly smack whenever possible, and wished them a safe trip to KC to finish the leg of a ballpark tour they were on.  If your a fan of baseball it's a fantastic atmosphere to watch a game.

6 days ago

Who won?  Dodgers did.  One less team to contend with in the NL west.  Dbacks were only good because of goldy.    

Show Replies
6 days ago

Doesn't mean that the trade is then a great trade, anything can happen with good prospects. Goldschmidt is great, but there is still a risk of him leaving after this year, with prospects gone on top of that. 

Comment by SwaggyD4803
about 3 hours ago

Anytime a team can add a player of the caliber of Goldschmidt it's a huge win.  The Cardinals package to get him didn't include any of our highly regarded prospects.  The offer was made calculating the risk of only getting Goldschmidt for a year.  If Goldschmidt had more years of control, or the Cardinals asked for an extension negotiation that was accepted the return would have been different.  The Cardinals will have the entire year to gauge him on an extension.  I understand it didn't work out for Jason Heyward (boy if that didn't pan out well).  It did work for Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds, and Matt Holliday though.  

If Carson Kelly breaks out and has a great career in Arizona, more power to him.  The Cardinals still have Yadi for two years and a catching prospect in Andrew Knizner who has higher upside offensively and hasn't even required 40 man protection yet.  Luke Weaver was going to be a bullpen piece or down in the rotation at AAA in 2019.  There are plenty of high upside, younger arms at the Cardinals disposal.  Andrew Young was a 37th round pick no one really heard of until he hit 21 HR's this year in A & AA.  He slots in a the Diamondbacks 22nd best prospect.

6 days ago

If I'm Goldschmidt, unless I think I'm about to suck the joint out, I see zero reason to even consider discussing an extension at this stage of the game.

Comment by Qeltar_
about 21 hours ago

Because you get the honor and privilege to play in front of the "Best Fans in Baseball" for 81 games a season.  Just ask a cardinal fan they will tell you how great they are.

Comment by brandonbigtime
about 6 hours ago

I see this all the time from people.  It's obviously not a quantifiable statement, but the support for the team on a consistent basis and the ballpark experience in undeniable.  

My son and I practically lived in the updated standing room only section last year.  The stadium is always mostly full and for a visiting fan it's far from unpleasant.  My wife and I went on a brewery tour that had some Pirates fans in town for a game, great people.  Come to find out when we got to the game later they were in the section to the right of us.  

We bought beers for each other, talked a bunch of friendly smack whenever possible, and wished them a safe trip to KC to finish the leg of a ballpark tour they were on.  If your a fan of baseball it's a fantastic atmosphere to watch a game.

Comment by Chuck_Dizzle29
about 4 hours ago

I'm not going to claim I've been to all the stadiums but i would say i have been to more than most people, my stadium passport is about half full, and i have been to multiple games at stadiums in the midwest and have probably been to Busch more than any other stadium both new Busch and Old Busch.  You comments that you made could be said about almost all stadiums, if your a fan of baseball you are seeing it played at the highest level in a top of the line facility wherever you go, some bells and whistles are what separates the stadiums, Busch is definitely a great place to see a game and most fans are great but i have certainly run into some real horrible people at Busch.

As a baseball fan i've had just as much fun at US cellular (or whatever it's called now) which is widely considered a dump, as i have at Busch, same ballpark food and overpriced beer and the greenest grass you've ever seen and great ball players.    I guess it's the self proclamation of BFIB that annoys me (see the comment on my earlier post as an example) .

6 days ago

I really hate that BFIB crap.  I have heard it over the years but it seems like it is used far more by those who want to insult the Cardinal fans than the Cardinal fans themselves. 

Most fans feel like their team has the best fans but the truth is that every team has great fans and idiot fans, cardinals included. 

Show Replies
3 days ago

Everyone needs to calm down, he is resigning with AZ next year you heard it here first.

Why do you think AZ said no to a negotiation window for the cards.

Also in the words of Torry lovelo. Yadi is a mother F'er

3 days ago

The poll is missing the most correct answer.

Who won the trade of Paul Goldschmidt from the Diamondbacks to the Cardinals?  The answer is obvious: Goldschmidt won.

(Sorry, Zonans... but you know it's true.)

;-)

3 days ago

Everyone needs to calm down, he is resigning with AZ next year you heard it here first.

Why do you think AZ said no to a negotiation window for the cards.

Also in the words of Torry lovelo. Yadi is a mother F'er

Comment by captainwesker12
about 3 hours ago

Except the Cardinals didn't request one, it was mentioned by some media sources but it wasn't officially requested.  

The only reason Arizona traded him was because they couldn't sign him.  So next year they magically have enough money to sign him lol.