You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

Who won the Trade:? Goldy to Cards!

8 days ago

It has happened!!!

Trade details:

Cardinals get: Paul Goldschmidt

DBacks get:  Luke Weaver, Carson Kelly, Andrew Young, 2019 Round B draft pick

Like all offseason trades, this is completely based on speculation and reputation.  We won’t know who truly wins the trade until we see results.

Vote here: https://linkto.run/p/TQ3DD3T8

Feel free to discuss in this thread.

Side Note: the website I use has no way of stopping you from voting multiple times.  To get the most accurate representation of how everyone feels about the trade, please vote just once.

8 days ago

I mean Im pretty sure the Cardinals are about to charged with robbery. Absolute heist 

Show Replies
8 days ago 1 Like

Goldy on the decline, seems like a fair deal 

8 days ago 2 Likes

As a Dbacks fan, i am livid right now. What a garbage haul for one of the top position players in the game.

8 days ago 3 Likes

On first glance, looks like the Cards made out well here. It's a rental vs. long-term thing, and the young guys have potential but certainly don't appear to be blue chip. Goldschmidt is a top player.

I think the DBacks could have done much better.

Show Replies
8 days ago 2 Likes

On first glance, looks like the Cards made out well here. It's a rental vs. long-term thing, and the young guys have potential but certainly don't appear to be blue chip. Goldschmidt is a top player.

Comment by Qeltar_
36 minutes ago

The Diamondbacks got two MLB ready players with 4+years of control along with the competitive round B pick.  Kelly is one of the highest regarded catching prospects who had no home in St. Louis.  I think we rushed Weaver along at the expense of saving some higher regarded pitchers in our system.  I don't know much about Andrew Johnson to offer up a solid opinion.

I don't know what else Arizona could get when Goldy is one year from free agency and they wouldn't allow an extension talk window.  Harper and Machado hanging out in Free Agency doesn't help them out either.

8 days ago 3 Likes

Goldy on the decline, seems like a fair deal 

Comment by Therealest_JB
about 1 hour ago

158 games a year over the last four seasons and his production has stayed consistent.  Whew you have lofty standards lol.

8 days ago

Now they need to extend him. 

Show Replies
8 days ago 1 Like

If I'm Goldschmidt, unless I think I'm about to suck the joint out, I see zero reason to even consider discussing an extension at this stage of the game.

8 days ago 1 Like

If I'm Goldschmidt, unless I think I'm about to suck the joint out, I see zero reason to even consider discussing an extension at this stage of the game.

Comment by Qeltar_
4 minutes ago

It depends on what type of an extension is offered and for how much. I believe there are some players who have other considerations besides simply money. 

8 days ago

I mean sure, if he happens to love St. Louis for persona reasons or whatever.

But he just got traded, so the intangibles are much less likely to be there than if Arizona were trying to extend him.

8 days ago

I mean sure, if he happens to love St. Louis for persona reasons or whatever.

But he just got traded, so the intangibles are much less likely to be there than if Arizona were trying to extend him.

Comment by Qeltar_
6 minutes ago

We can at least attach a QO on him if I understand correctly.  He's going to be 32 his first time into free agency.  If the Cardinals threw out 6 or 7 years with an opt out after two seasons and the money is right I can see it happening.  These long term deals with high AAV up front with exit options are sexy nowadays.  

The Cards at least get a couple seasons from him before he can double down or they ride it out.  He's built well and has no lower body issues to speak of.  

8 days ago

Comment by Qeltar_
about 2 hours ago

The Diamondbacks got two MLB ready players with 4+years of control along with the competitive round B pick.  Kelly is one of the highest regarded catching prospects who had no home in St. Louis.  I think we rushed Weaver along at the expense of saving some higher regarded pitchers in our system.  I don't know much about Andrew Johnson to offer up a solid opinion.

I don't know what else Arizona could get when Goldy is one year from free agency and they wouldn't allow an extension talk window.  Harper and Machado hanging out in Free Agency doesn't help them out either.

Comment by Chuck_Dizzle29
about 1 hour ago

I have to side with you here. I think you guys paid a good amount for a possible rental. If not for a mini Yadi revival, Kelly would have gotten more action and shown a little better after making adjustments IMO. Weaver has shown flashes and with the emergence of Gomber and Poncy and Reyes on the mend, he is considered surplus (and is a former 1st round pick so it’s all there for the 25 yo). Andy Young, just by looking at the numbers in the minors knowing the positions he plays (2B/SS) and his ability to hit the long ball (at least in A+ and AA) his hitting numbers look better than Trevor Story (avg/obp/slg) without the speed though (but also without all the strikeouts). He also had a good showing in the Arizona Fall League as well. I know he may be a few years away, but they (Arizona) may make out like bandits on this one. 

JMO

Show Replies
8 days ago

While the D-Backs got some potential good young talent the Cardinals know exactly what they are getting with Goldschmidt. He crushes NL Central pitching and the Cards have had some success, minus Heyward, extending big name players that they trade for. Hopefully this is one of those cases. 

8 days ago

I think this was a very good trade for both teams. Yes, the prospects are not eye-popping, but this is a 31-year-old rental we're talking about here. I think the DBacks got a very good haul. 

8 days ago

DBacks don't know how to negotiate a trade. Can't remember the last one that worked out for them. Bad business on their part.

8 days ago

D-Backs should've traded Goldy before last season.They would've got a much better deal

7 days ago

DBacks don't know how to negotiate a trade. Can't remember the last one that worked out for them. Bad business on their part.

Comment by EL_JAMONERO_MAN
about 6 hours ago

I think the three players you got and the comp pick are better than the QO pick you would've got if you didn't trade him.  We weren't the only team kicking the tires on Goldschmidt.  I would assume the Cardinals package was the best they were offered.  I doubt they had a better offer on the table but passed in favor of doing business with St. Louis.

You got two players with MLB experience and 5 controllable years.  That's more certainty than a draft pick.  Maybe they could've held out to mid season, but is the potential risk of bad play or injury worth it?  

There weren't a lot of teams looking for a 1B who is a potential one year rental.  

7 days ago

Don't forget that Goldy had some sign of struggles last season, was hitting just .218 with 7 HR on april/may. 

Show Replies
7 days ago

I'll say the same thing I said about the Mets/Mariners deal... the team that got the bigger name won in the short term... who won in the long term will depend on if that teams wins ball games/World Series. If that team doesn't win and the prospects pan out for the other team in the deal then the other team won.

So just looking at the deal today, the Cardinals won the deal... you put Goldschmidts bat in a lineup with Matt Carpenter and some things can happen... how much will depend on the other pieces that St. Louis can put on the field.

I forgot who it was one here that was talking about Bryce Harper to the Cardinals... them making this deal to get Goldschmidt could make the Cardinals more attractive for Harper if the Cardinals are willing to open their checkbook.

Kind of wish the Mets would do that seeing as we do have an open OF spot for Harper to play with the uncertainty surrounding Yoenis but ehh...

Cardinals win this trade in the short term... long term who knows.

7 days ago 1 Like

Comment by Qeltar_
about 14 hours ago

Because you get the honor and privilege to play in front of the "Best Fans in Baseball" for 81 games a season.  Just ask a cardinal fan they will tell you how great they are.

Show Replies
7 days ago

Also another thing in regards to this deal that I think led the Cardinals to not give up as much as say the Mets in the Cano/Diaz deal is that Goldschmidt can become a free agent at the end of the 2019 season. I'd imagine if he agreed to some type of extension with the Cardinals then they would have had to improve upon the offer that they got the deal done. Goldschmidt isn't a lock to stay in St. Louis beyond this season... will be very interesting to see how this all plays out... I'm guessing the Diamondbacks figured that he at the very least wasn't going to return to Arizona and decided to flip him for something because who knows when the guys the Cardinals sent over could end up having a "light bulb" moment and be the talk of the league... it happened this past season with Brandon Nimmo and now as a Mets fan I'd hate to see him go in a deal but at the same time I get why his name is coming up in conversations.

7 days ago

I think getting a Goldschmidt is always a good thing, but the fact that he has 1 year left on his contract makes it a bit eh

7 days ago

I think getting a Goldschmidt is always a good thing, but the fact that he has 1 year left on his contract makes it a bit eh

Comment by SwaggyD4803
11 minutes ago

Only if they can't extend or resign him. Even if they can't the give him a QO at the end of the year and get a draft pick. 

The fact of the matter is that they gave away a pitcher who did not have a defined role this year, and a catcher who is blocked by Yadi and is being chased through the minors by another catching prospect, and a player that most Cardinal fans have never heard of before yesterday. 

In return they receive a player that should immediately make them a better team both offensively and defensively

7 days ago

Trading 3 high prospects for a rental always is a risk, we'll see if it pays off.