You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

Refresh Rate on New TV

7 days ago

I'm looking at new TVs and I'm wondering if having a 120Hz refresh rate would make a noticeable difference when playing the game over having a more basic 60Hz refresh rate? Thanks! 

7 days ago

Not on PS4. However, if you're ever thinking of hooking up your PC to your TV, the 120Hz will be noticeable. It will also future-proof you for the next generation of consoles.

Just curious, what TV are you looking at? I'm about to pick up a P-series Vizio (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-65-class-led-p-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6213228.p?skuId=6213228). Essentially a 65" monitor.

Show Replies
6 days ago 1 Like

If you are getting a new TV specificially for gaming then I recommend getting a monitor. If you simply just need/want a new TV then I'd imagine you'll see minimal difference in terms of the game but in other areas double the refresh rate is nice to have.

But yeah if this is about the game then scrap getting a TV and try getting a monitor.

I'm supposed to be moving in March and as much as I want to get a new TV once I settle in I'm almost positive that I'm going to be getting a monitor first.

Show Replies
6 days ago 1 Like

120Hz is the way to go, here's why.

Movies are filmed in 24 fps. Consoles are locked to 30 fps and the next gen will likely be shooting for 60 fps. A 60 Hz panel will be fine for games but have to add fake frames to movies because 24 does not divide evenly into 60. It has to do a 3:2 frame swap and show one frame three times and then the next frame twice. This will create blur and artifacts in your movies that aren't meant to be there. Games and live television are 30 or 60 fps and do not have this problem.

The other piece of the puzzle (and the most important one) is the response time of the television. DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH REFRESH RATE, THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!!!! The response time is the amount of time a pixel in a television takes to change from off to on and will reflect how much lag you will get from the time a button is pressed on your controller to how much time it takes to happen on screen. For most televisions, this data is not on the box but can often be found in the specifications online. If it isn't listed, you might have to do some research. A good website that aggregates refresh rate data is www.displaylag.com. They have a pretty wide database of TV's and monitors. 

The reason you see so many monitors recommended is because they tend to have lower response times than TVs do but that doesn't mean you can't find a TV with low lag. If you can find something under 20ms you should have no problems with lag. 

Show Replies
6 days ago
This comment has been deleted.
6 days ago

Ahh so that's why were all "late" on swings we squared up lol

6 days ago

I use a 70” Vizio E series. It’s couple years old now, but the lag is over .70 and it’s really noticeable playing the show. I used a 46” plasma before that and didn’t notice any lag. I just deal with it though. Not getting another tv until this one goes out.