You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

18 vs 17

7 days ago 1 Like

So I’ve been playing 17 the last couple nights, well, because I have been playing terrible on 18 the last week or so and I still need my baseball fix. But it got me thinking and noticing the difference between the games, and maybe hoping that SDS takes the good from both and makes 19 the best yet.

17: The noticeable thing was obviously gameplay. I wasn’t afraid to throw fastballs, which allowed me to mix pitches more effectively. I was never late on an offspeed pitch, but was definitely harder to hit when mixed with a FB. Less HRs, more hits. Dee Gordon slapped some hits over the fielders heads, it wasn’t just bloops and groundballs. Fielders were more urgent, especially the OF. Now, somethings were a bit off. Players were out of position and it didn’t seem to have any effect on the game. Bad fielders were making some incredible plays... ALL THE TIME!! Umpires were calling obvious strikes balls and obvious balls strikes. They were very inconsistent. I mean, not every ump is Joe West, right?? Apart from gameplay, the obvious were the menu speeds. The program layout was far more confusing. 

18: Ok, we all know the gameplay issues, but after playing 17 I realized how many more HRs are hit in 18. I mean, great pitches being hit out ALL THE TIME!!! Don’t throw a FB or change up out of the zone. Just don’t throw them period. However, there are some really good things about 18. The customization is far better. From uniforms, to batting stances to even the hitting view options, being able to customize those things are awesome. You don’t realize that until you don’t have it. Menus are so much quicker and smoother. Even though some terrible fielders make great plays, it isn’t every single time, so that was a benefit. Players out of position don’t nearly do as well either. I like those penalties. The umpires make so much better calls. You don’t have to worry about hitting the corner and question whether it will be called a strike or not.

So, thats just a quick overview from what I have observed.  I realize both 18 and 17 have its high points and low points. But if I’m being honest and not making a decision off how much I spent, I would say 17 highs made up for the lows, but can’t quite say that for 18. 

7 days ago 1 Like

I quit 18 in the end of June.  It is just unbelievable how much gameplay regressed from 17.  To keep it short, 18 is just plain not fun.  I worked my way up to 4th overall in the 17 season, it is so much more fun to hit and pitch.

Show Replies
7 days ago

I picked up a used copy of 17 the other day . I'm gonna try it out soon.

Show Replies
6 days ago 1 Like

Message me if you want in a good league.  We have 26/26 right now but I'm thinking some teams will be opened up soon. 

Show Replies
6 days ago 1 Like

https://media.giphy.com/media/RL0xU1daTlMoE/giphy.gif

6 days ago

If menu speeds, lack of being able to tag someone, fielding animations and servers are like 17, I wouldnt care if the hitting and pitching was perfect.  No way i would go back to a game like that.

Show Replies
6 days ago 1 Like

I quit 18 in the end of June.  It is just unbelievable how much gameplay regressed from 17.  To keep it short, 18 is just plain not fun.  I worked my way up to 4th overall in the 17 season, it is so much more fun to hit and pitch.

Comment by drunk_wizard509
about 13 hours ago

We've played against each other a few times in 17. Those games were so much more fun than 18

6 days ago

Pitch speeds were fine this year. Any faster and you need a monitor/hard line connection in order to play.

Show Replies