You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

Took a shot to the nads behind the plate off a pitching machine.  Loudly yelled "My balls!".  Did this 3 more times.  Never caught again afterwards lol

10/19/2019 9:35PM PDT

Walked the first four batters , first ever start, season opener , stole job from older kid . I hate this thread Hahahah haven't thought about it in some time . Great idea 

10/19/2019 10:42PM PDT

I began playing baseball when I was 9 yrs old which at the time was tee-ball, whereas the following year was over-hand pitching. I was a starting pitcher that 2nd year. After my 2nd year of playing, I never had to show up to tryouts, and was ALWAYS the NUMBER 1 overall pick, because they knew I was the best player just from 'word of mouth.' 

Fast forwarding to 15 yrs. old, my little league coach wanted me to move in with his family because he wanted me to play varsity baseball at the high school where he was the pitching coach at, but at the time, I lived in the neighboring city where I couldn't attend his high school unless my primary address was within the geographical school guidelines.  He even wrote me a letter stating to not take anything less than $50,000 signing bonus when I make it, which at the time, was a lot of money, and probably equivalent to like a million dollars nowadays. But my mind was already made up to play at the local high school I had dreamed of playing for. I was highly recruited.

Long story short, I fell into downward spiral with girlfriend problems, got involved with alcohol and drug usage all combined.  My performance was never the same, and my heart just wasn't into the game anymore.  I obviously learned a very valuable lesson, but it was too late.  I often wonder what it would have been like to live that kind of lifestyle being a professional major leaguer.  But hopefully, someone else out there can learn from my misfortunes by me sharing this story.

Thanks for listening.

10/19/2019 11:06PM PDT

New cleats, new season, first AB. Slipped and dropped on my *** (both legs upwards mid-air) scrambling out of the dugout, over-eager to get on the field, dropping two bats to everybody's noisy enjoyment. I think I walked eventually, probably blushed solid.

10/19/2019 11:22PM PDT

Took a shot to the nads behind the plate off a pitching machine.  Loudly yelled "My balls!".  Did this 3 more times.  Never caught again afterwards lol

Comment by Ikasnu
10/20/2019 6:35AM CEST

Were those foul-tipped backwards/down-bouncer-uppers? You'd need a diaper-sized cup to save you there. It's brutal.

Or - w/o a hitter - did you manage to just not put the big-*** glove between your nuts and the projectile approaching them? That sounds... not human.

10/19/2019 11:25PM PDT

I began playing baseball when I was 9 yrs old which at the time was tee-ball, whereas the following year was over-hand pitching. I was a starting pitcher that 2nd year. After my 2nd year of playing, I never had to show up to tryouts, and was ALWAYS the NUMBER 1 overall pick, because they knew I was the best player just from 'word of mouth.' 

Fast forwarding to 15 yrs. old, my little league coach wanted me to move in with his family because he wanted me to play varsity baseball at the high school where he was the pitching coach at, but at the time, I lived in the neighboring city where I couldn't attend his high school unless my primary address was within the geographical school guidelines.  He even wrote me a letter stating to not take anything less than $50,000 signing bonus when I make it, which at the time, was a lot of money, and probably equivalent to like a million dollars nowadays. But my mind was already made up to play at the local high school I had dreamed of playing for. I was highly recruited.

Long story short, I fell into downward spiral with girlfriend problems, got involved with alcohol and drug usage all combined.  My performance was never the same, and my heart just wasn't into the game anymore.  I obviously learned a very valuable lesson, but it was too late.  I often wonder what it would have been like to live that kind of lifestyle being a professional major leaguer.  But hopefully, someone else out there can learn from my misfortunes by me sharing this story.

Thanks for listening.

Comment by onnagood1
10/20/2019 8:06AM CEST

I'm sorry to hear that happening to you but glad you seemingly pulled through psychologically. Professional sports at elite level is quite harmful somatically (joints, fractures, tears, groin ***, concussions, back injuries and severe abdominal ditto), so if you enjoy moving around freely without pain, or sitting in an office chair for five minutes without pain, or picking up a toddler without pain; that's an upside.

10/19/2019 11:36PM PDT

When I played little league our team was so bad we were the real life version of the bad news bears haha. Our coach was just like buttermaker showing up with plenty of beer to get through practice and the games. Unlike the movie though we didn't have a happy ending or Kelly show up to help us, we lost every game continued to make so many errors n we finished dead last. No championship game for us or trophy for finishing last haha. Got to the love the 80's

10/20/2019 4:25AM PDT

Great thread idea. 
On a team that had lost every game we played, we were playing away, and we were up 8-7 with two outs in the bottom of the last inning, tr tteais at bat with runners on 1st and 2nd. I'm playing second base. Batter hits a routine grounder to my backhand as the shortstop moves towards the bag to take the throw. My feet catch each other and I trip, landing flat on my knees. I stop the ball from getting into the outfield but can't make the play. The next two batters get hits and we lose. That one took a long time to get over.

10/20/2019 7:50AM PDT

Made the 7th grade travel team allstar game, dropped a fly ball and struck out. Coach asked me, "why are you here?". That sucked.

10/20/2019 8:45AM PDT

Tried to be a big shot and host my own mound visit when I was playing 3rd, I got yelled at

Comment by JustASeal0
10/19/2019 8:14PM EDT

This is the one that sucks, because when you get older you are told to go out to the mound every once in a while and talk to the pitcher.

10/20/2019 8:49AM PDT

In rec the other team only had 8 guys so my team had to send the other an out fielder each inning. I went out to play left field and intentionally dove for a ball I knew I couldn't catch and my team scored two runs and ended up winning by 2...no one knew because the dive looked like I actually wanted to get the ball. 

10/20/2019 8:51AM PDT

Growing up I played alot of baseball for tournament teams, and did pretty well for myself as a youngen. Well my coach figured I could play catcher because I had an arm, but he forgot I was a CF that had "use two hands!" engraved so deep in my brain. So, obviously I tried using two hands to catch and didn't work out so well. We had a fireballer on the mound and a guy foul tips it and my second hand was trying to catch it and I end up with a busted wrist and surgery. Never pitched the same again after that either. Still hurts to do push-ups 13 years later.

10/20/2019 9:11AM PDT

I got sun burned so bad I had blisters on the top of my shoulders and back so I missed a game. Wish I could have thought up a cooler injury like lower body soft tissue strain, or at least used sunblock. 

10/20/2019 9:50AM PDT

I played second base my whole little league life. I was a really good fielder. I could pick balls on short hops, make diving catches and go to my backhand like there was no tomorrow. I had a pitch back in my yard and would practice fielding ground ball for hours when I was a kid.

When I was in sixth grade we moved and I was in a new town with new little league teams. My new coach had a son who wanted to play second so naturally I got put in the outfield. I hated it so much, and the fact that my coach's son wasn't very good made it worse. He was like swiss cheese at second. After a few games I decide to be the world's worst outfielder. I dropped balls that I could easily catch, I threw wildly on purpose and my best idea was to throw so weakly it would look like I had no arm at all. After a couple of games of me racking up the errors, my coach let me play second. His son wasn't pleased, but he eventually started catching and he seemed to like that so it all worked out. 

Don't take my second base. It's mine. 

10/20/2019 6:39PM PDT

When I was 6, I hit a screamer to the corner of the outfield where the LF wasn't even close to. As I approached first, I saw a caterpillar and just had to play with it. I got tagged out before I even got to first 

10/20/2019 6:46PM PDT

At about age 11 I was just about unhittable as I threw 3/4 delivery 2 seamers with a ton of movement. Had some kid down 0-2 after two awful swings at the FB. Wanted to humiliate him and throw a change-up. Hung it and he put it over the fence.  My pitching career also ended when I moved up to a 60' mound distance. All of a sudden I couldn't overpower hitters any more. Became a catcher and gradually ruined my knees for 8-9 years after that.  

10/21/2019 4:51AM PDT

played catcher without a cup....dodge a bullet there!

10/21/2019 5:04AM PDT

Kinda of a little league story - My mom tried multiple times to get me to play rec/little league baseball. I never wanted to because I "didnt want to wear tights" lol. Ended up playing basketball instead up until mid highschool and I kinda regret it.

10/21/2019 6:50AM PDT

Coaches Pitch (7-8 Years Old).  I was playing catcher.  Only time I ever played Catcher.  Kid hits a ball and gets a base hit.  Bat is lying on the plate.  I absent mindedly grabbed the bat as the next batter is walking to the plate.  I chuck it towards his dugout smashing the kid in the knee.  He falls down crying.  Didn't do it on purpose, but literally felt no remorse.  Just said OOPS.  I swear I'm not a sociopath.

Same age, my father is the one that does our pitching.  We were the worst team in the league until he started pitching for us (Head Coach had to miss a game)  We start crushing the ball and scoring all sorts of runs.  A real Mighty Ducks type turnaround to the season.  Kid in my class gets a used bat off an older cousin or something, and proceeds to hit a HR in his first at bat with it. (There were not a lot of HR's hit in this league)  I'm the next one up and I grab his bat thinking if you can hit a HR w/ so can I.  It was way to heavy for me to even swing and my dad comes running off the mound at me and makes me use my bat saying..."You gonna try and wear his underwear too?" LOL

10/21/2019 7:02AM PDT

Idk if these are supposed to be embarrassing or just funny or what, but one year in my little league my opponent was short 1 player so the last out of the previous inning from my team would have to go play RF to help, well I ended up grounding out so next time we batted I had to go play right. The coaches kid on my team would come up and mash a ball to the warning track in right and I hustled over and caught it on the fly for the out. My team was disappointed that I got him out and my teammate that hit the ball really hated me for not letting it fall.. I never had to go help out the other team again. 

10/21/2019 7:38AM PDT

I was 10 in my first year of LL Majors(10-12 yr old).  We were playing in the playoff game to go to the Championship game. We were winning 10-2 in the last inning with the game well in hand. 

I was playing 3B and the other team had a small rally going. A kid named Denny had gotten a Walk and was on 1B. 

Now Denny went to my school and was a real PITA bully. He was a year older than me and had just graduated our Elementary school. I had another year to go. A year earlier when I was the new kid in school beginning of 4th grade, he had antagonized me and I never forgot. 

Over the next year and a half, I got bigger and became a top athlete but our paths rarely crossed except in Little League. 

So back to the game. It was to be Denny's last inning of his last game in LL. Im playing D at 3B and he is on 1B with a Walk. The next hitter hits a gapper in Right Center. Denny, who could run, came flying around 2B looking to score. As he approached 3B, I stick my foot out and he goes flying nose first into the dirt. Just a complete Endo over the handlebars kinda eat!!! One of the most satisfying moments in my young life!  

The Ump saw it though and let him score but I didn't care. We were up big and won easy. After the game, as both teams lined up to shake hands, I looked him right in the eye and said, "What goes around, comes around". Never saw him again after that, as we moved a year later and he had moved up to Junior High school. 

However, Kharma would bite back the next week when I was pitching the Championship game and a grounder went through our tall First Baseman's legs and we lost a very close game. 

10/21/2019 1:18PM PDT

First time I met with a rep from a college (didn't end up going there), he asked me if I knew what a "5-tool player" was. This was almost 20 years ago and the term was less popular and I'd never heard it before, but I just said "yeah, sure." And then he said "well, you know which tool you need to work on, right?" And I didn't want to sound stupid, so I was like "yeah, my coaches and I are working on it." About 5 or 10 minutes later in the conversation, I finally pieced together that he meant I was too slow. He was talking about something completely different by this point, but I still accidentally interrupted him and blurted out, "wait ... do you think I'm slow?" Looking back, I'm sure he was thinking "well, I used to just think that you can't run fast enough, but now I think you're slow ..."

10/21/2019 1:37PM PDT

I forget how old I was, but I was in middle school at the time.  The opposing pitcher was basically Rick Vaughn before the glasses.  Threw really hard and didn't have a clue as to where it was going.  I came to the plate and got hit with a fastball just below my left eye. 

I went down hard and the area swelled up to about the size of a racquetball.  I remember it was bad enough that I couldn't play in another game that season.  My team was trash though and was coached by one of those dad's who played his kid at shortstop and the top of the order even though he couldn't hit or field to save his life, so I wasn't too broken up about not coming back.

10/21/2019 1:58PM PDT

I was 10 in my first year of LL Majors(10-12 yr old).  We were playing in the playoff game to go to the Championship game. We were winning 10-2 in the last inning with the game well in hand. 

I was playing 3B and the other team had a small rally going. A kid named Denny had gotten a Walk and was on 1B. 

Now Denny went to my school and was a real PITA bully. He was a year older than me and had just graduated our Elementary school. I had another year to go. A year earlier when I was the new kid in school beginning of 4th grade, he had antagonized me and I never forgot. 

Over the next year and a half, I got bigger and became a top athlete but our paths rarely crossed except in Little League. 

So back to the game. It was to be Denny's last inning of his last game in LL. Im playing D at 3B and he is on 1B with a Walk. The next hitter hits a gapper in Right Center. Denny, who could run, came flying around 2B looking to score. As he approached 3B, I stick my foot out and he goes flying nose first into the dirt. Just a complete Endo over the handlebars kinda eat!!! One of the most satisfying moments in my young life!  

The Ump saw it though and let him score but I didn't care. We were up big and won easy. After the game, as both teams lined up to shake hands, I looked him right in the eye and said, "What goes around, comes around". Never saw him again after that, as we moved a year later and he had moved up to Junior High school. 

However, Kharma would bite back the next week when I was pitching the Championship game and a grounder went through our tall First Baseman's legs and we lost a very close game. 

Comment by SDwinder
10/21/2019 1:18PM PDT

I did something similar when I played hockey as a kid. This little SOB who thought he was Sidney Crosby because his parents were rich and bought him all the most expensive gear. He was a real brat and would just cherry-pick at center ice and then yell at his teammates for not passing to him. I would trip him on purpose literally every game we played his team. After a few games, I got good at hiding it from the refs. But most of the time I got the penalty, but I didn't care. 

10/21/2019 2:35PM PDT

I mostly played catcher since I had most of the gear plus successfully suppressed the instinct not to block wild pitches with your torso and facemask (always look down). I couldn't handle batters getting away from the plate though. I more than once grabbed the batter kid by the uniform collar, physically restricted them while fumbling for the ball loose in the dirt. What's very very weird is that I don't remember any sort of reaction from the plate umpire when doing this. I suspect it must've looked like a cartoon and me not being warned or ejected served as remuneration. Anyway, I recommend SDS implementing that move as an easter egg. It's so hard to fail at tagging a person while holding onto them.

10/21/2019 3:07PM PDT