You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

Seriously, why?  I’ve never been to their stadium but on tv it looks like it’s still basically a modern stadium.  This and the Braves new stadium make me sick.  Hundreds of millions in public money for both im sure, to replace stadiums built in the 90s. 

9/22/2019 3:11PM PDT

Seriously, why?  I’ve never been to their stadium but on tv it looks like it’s still basically a modern stadium.  This and the Braves new stadium make me sick.  Hundreds of millions in public money for both im sure, to replace stadiums built in the 90s. 

Comment by Dino-might_not
9/22/2019 3:11PM PDT

Heard there getting a indoor or retractable because of the heat 

9/22/2019 3:12PM PDT

Idk but they sure are banking on the team being competitive in a few years, it reminds me of the Braves getting SunTrust when their team was getting to the end of a rebuild

9/22/2019 3:14PM PDT

Not for nothing but building a stadium creates quite a few jobs locally. 

9/22/2019 3:15PM PDT

Comment by hoboadam

They never equate to the amount of money cities hand over to the owners for these stadiums.  There have been numerous studies done that have all basically reached the same conclusion, which is that using public money for stadiums creates almost no benefit for the city and never pays itself back. I don’t care if they want a new stadium, but public money shouldn’t be used to do it. 

9/22/2019 3:18PM PDT

They never equate to the amount of money cities hand over to the owners for these stadiums.  There have been numerous studies done that have all basically reached the same conclusion, which is that using public money for stadiums creates almost no benefit for the city and never pays itself back. I don’t care if they want a new stadium, but public money shouldn’t be used to do it. 

9/22/2019 3:18PM PDT

100% spot on. 

It's like welfare for millionaires. I'm sure tickets sales, playoff games, concerts, etc held in that stadium will go DIRECTLY to the owners pockets.

They'll build a park for the community or throw the schools a couple of million while raking in tens or hundreds of millions

9/22/2019 3:23PM PDT

100% spot on. 

It's like welfare for millionaires. I'm sure tickets sales, playoff games, concerts, etc held in that stadium will go DIRECTLY to the owners pockets.

They'll build a park for the community or throw the schools a couple of million while raking in tens or hundreds of millions

Comment by jjar1125z
9/22/2019 3:23PM PDT

Welfare for *multi-billionaires* haha. 

I read an article a year or two ago about the new Raiders stadium in Las Vegas and then did some googling of Las Vegas city finances. They had begun cutting city services and benefits due to budget short falls a year or two before the team moved, but still found $250 million to hand over to the Davis family or whoever owns the Raiders nowadays. 

9/22/2019 3:32PM PDT

Welfare for *multi-billionaires* haha. 

I read an article a year or two ago about the new Raiders stadium in Las Vegas and then did some googling of Las Vegas city finances. They had begun cutting city services and benefits due to budget short falls a year or two before the team moved, but still found $250 million to hand over to the Davis family or whoever owns the Raiders nowadays. 

9/22/2019 3:32PM PDT

unbelievable. It's like a huge scam.

I'll never forget before the Yanks got their new stadium they were threatening to move the team. I'm a big Yankees fan but I was telling everyone I know..... "Where the HELL are they moving? To Jersey??" 😆 At least the team split the cost with the taxpayers of NY

Here's a statement from the Voice online about this ...."

Both Yankee Stadium and Citi Field sit atop city-owned land, and neither team pays rent or property taxes. The city takes home none of the profits the stadium makes, besides taxes on the corporate entities themselves."

9/22/2019 3:41PM PDT

unbelievable. It's like a huge scam.

I'll never forget before the Yanks got their new stadium they were threatening to move the team. I'm a big Yankees fan but I was telling everyone I know..... "Where the HELL are they moving? To Jersey??" 😆 At least the team split the cost with the taxpayers of NY

Here's a statement from the Voice online about this ...."

Both Yankee Stadium and Citi Field sit atop city-owned land, and neither team pays rent or property taxes. The city takes home none of the profits the stadium makes, besides taxes on the corporate entities themselves."

Comment by jjar1125z
9/22/2019 3:41PM PDT

I’ve been a Phillies fan since before I could walk and live and die with my team.  But if they ever threatened to move if they didn’t get funds for a new stadium, I’d tell them to get lost.  

If I’m not mistaken, one of the reasons the Raiders are leaving is because Oakland wouldn’t pony up.  More power to them, but of course their ownership basically said cool since you wouldn’t cough up millions of dollars, we’re taking your team away.  It’s like they hold the city hostage. 

9/22/2019 3:48PM PDT

Heard there getting a indoor or retractable because of the heat 

Comment by Trudgeon
9/22/2019 3:12PM PDT

I went to a Rangers game when I first moved to Texas not knowing anything about the stadium. It was so hot and I got severely sunburnt. Whenever a cold moved in front of the sun the whole stadium let out a loud “Ahhhhh” in unison. 

9/22/2019 3:52PM PDT

Why do the Rangers need a new ballpark?

I have a photo on my phone taken at a July Sunday afternoon game. Digital thermometer show the plastic seats at 150 F.

Do you want to sit on them?

9/22/2019 3:54PM PDT

Comment by hoboadam

Normally yes.  When you're replacing a half-century old structure or re-locating to a previously underdeveloped area (Atlanta, San Diego), some new economic opportunities spring up. 

But if the new place is going up across the street and the old place is still young enough to qualify for it's parent's insurance plan, I don't think the economic impact will be substantial.

9/22/2019 3:56PM PDT

I have a photo on my phone taken at a July Sunday afternoon game. Digital thermometer show the plastic seats at 150 F.

Comment by jkentstx

i got clothes on. What I want is that 2 foot choo sandwich

9/22/2019 3:56PM PDT

Comment by jkentstx

Fair point about the heat.  I can understand why they’d want to have a roof.  My beef is with public money being used for the stadium, which I’m almost positive is happening based on an article about it from a while back.

On a list of city priorities “it’s hot at the baseball game” should be pretty low IMHO. 

9/22/2019 3:59PM PDT

I live in Fort Worth and went to 4 rangers games this year. 

the retractable roof will be nice, but the stadium is only 25 years old. It's in great shape and I am really at a loss why they're building a new one. 

ticket sales have not been good this year, that's for sure. I was able to get really primo seats to all 4 games (each time I was 3 rows behind the visiting team dugout) and tickets ranged from $63 - $77 depending on the time & day of week. That's not exactly free, but those seats would a) be snapped up super quickly and b) significantly more expensive at most other stadiums. 

it's a pretty classic case of throwing good money after bad: the team is not competitive, which hurts ticket sales, so the owners con the citizens into approving a new stadium with the promise of an increase in attendance. 

sure, attendance will be up next year as people go to check out the new stadium. But if they aren't committed to putting a competitive team on the field, then in about 3 years, the ticket sales will be right back to where they are now. 

9/22/2019 4:05PM PDT

I think the Rangers are paying about half the costs for the new ballpark. City extended a tax used to help build Cowboys stadium, which was previously extended from building the current ballpark. Evidently residents of Arlington don’t mind the hotel tax since they have voted approval multiple times. Yes, each time the local voters passed the proposal.

9/22/2019 4:08PM PDT

I think the Rangers are paying about half the costs for the new ballpark. City extended a tax used to help build Cowboys stadium, which was previously extended from building the current ballpark. Evidently residents of Arlington don’t mind the hotel tax since they have voted approval multiple times. Yes, each time the local voters passed the proposal.

Comment by jkentstx
9/22/2019 4:08PM PDT

The fact that it even got on the ballot speaks volumes about the power the owners (I.e. money) have.  And I’m sure there was some kind of PR blitz that touted all the economic benefits of the new stadium.  

Compare that with how much time and energy a group of average citizens would have to spend to get something on the ballot.  Let alone one that asked for hundreds of millions of dollars. 

9/22/2019 4:15PM PDT

Why can,t they put a retractable roof on the present stadium?

9/22/2019 4:19PM PDT

Why can,t they put a retractable roof on the present stadium?

Comment by pogibana
9/22/2019 6:19PM CDT

That would cost more than building a new one. The current stadium was not designed for a roof.  You cannot just engineer a way to put a roof up.  Even if you could the amount it would cost, the time it would take would be insane. Rangers would have to play a season in another ball park ect.  Not to mention A/C instalation and how to engineer that in a stadium with no A/C ducts and so on.

9/22/2019 4:52PM PDT

Comment by hoboadam

Another false statement just like your nonsense about a DS4 controller being less laggy if plugged in. You’re batting a 1000% today.

9/22/2019 5:12PM PDT

Another false statement just like your nonsense about a DS4 controller being less laggy if plugged in. You’re batting a 1000% today.

Comment by slipkid69
9/22/2019 7:12PM CDT

If you have an old, day one DS4, then it wont make a difference. But if you have the option in settings to connect with USB or connect with Bluetooth, then it will. USB is a faster speed and less likely to get interrupted than Bluetooth.  There are test out there that do show using your control with USB connection is better than bluetooth.

9/22/2019 5:32PM PDT

If you have an old, day one DS4, then it wont make a difference. But if you have the option in settings to connect with USB or connect with Bluetooth, then it will. USB is a faster speed and less likely to get interrupted than Bluetooth.  There are test out there that do show using your control with USB connection is better than bluetooth.

Comment by ChuckCLC
9/22/2019 5:32PM PDT

Please post links to this data because everything I have read shows the exact opposite.

9/22/2019 6:06PM PDT

Please post links to this data because everything I have read shows the exact opposite.

Comment by slipkid69
9/22/2019 8:06PM CDT

Exact opposite?  Post a link to that please.

And, BTW, here is a link to an abbreviated idea of how many new jobs the stadium plans have created. https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2018/04/04/texas-live-jobs.html

9/22/2019 6:09PM PDT

Exact opposite?  Post a link to that please.

And, BTW, here is a link to an abbreviated idea of how many new jobs the stadium plans have created. https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2018/04/04/texas-live-jobs.html

Comment by ChuckCLC
9/22/2019 6:09PM PDT

I was actually referencing the wired vs. wireless argument. Lol

9/22/2019 6:36PM PDT

Comment by slipkid69
9/22/2019 8:12PM EDT

Just stop posting kid. You are batting 0.00%

9/22/2019 6:36PM PDT