You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

Since it seems the only comments about hitting are from people who blame the game on their failures, I, an avid player for almost 10 years, just want to give my piece.

This is the best balance of user input and player stat outcome I’ve seen. It feels like the I am actually hitting again, not some random result based off stats.

I am very satisfied with this game. Some kinks to work out with some animations, but overall I’m impressed.

Thoughts on hitting from people who do something other than complain all the time?

5/18/2019 3:05PM PDT

HOW DARE YOU ENJOY THIS GAME!!!!

5/18/2019 3:06PM PDT

I’m gonna assume you don’t play on HOF/Legend. Which is fine but there’s no way you think there’s a balance of user input and player attributes if you do 

5/18/2019 3:09PM PDT

Way better than last year, granted. Overall, it’s just not quite there yet for me and I’m often labelled as a sycophantic fan boy etc by the morons on this forum, so I’d guess I’m a generally positive person in terms of my opinion on the game. I do love the franchise and I’ve played since ‘16. I’d say although that year (‘16), the game had a definite tendency to feel “wooden”, for want of a better word, by which I mean the straight line drives and bounces that were the only outcome, it also felt very genuine in terms of contact dictating hit type. If you were early/good you’d pull the ball hard, if you were late/good you might go oppo, but not for a weak, bloopy hit like you do now. You’d line it oppo, or be out. The only real fault was the bunt cheese and crappy catchers back then.

Since the introduction of the realistic ball physics engine, it’s been off. They should have disabled swing feedback after ‘17. It’s caused nothing but trouble by being woefully inaccurate and clouding the waters about hitting in general ever since. ‘17 had topspin issues that unintentionally nerfed some of the best hitting cards and late hits causing high exit velos. ‘18 was a total unmitigated disaster that lurched between being stupidly easy to hit 500 foot blasts with pitchers and not being able to touch the ball with immortal level hitters, depending on which patch they had decided to test that week. It eventually settled on some sort of broken medium that left everyone popping up weakly or hitting a home run, seemingly at random. 

‘19 is the best version of the current engine yet, but I think it would have been better if it had done a few things differently from day one. Standardised pitch speeds, or a binary choice between very easy for beginners and standard for users above that level, would be one. Having the game play like it does now at launch would be another. I know it needed refining, but if it had been refined in prelaunch testing, as it should have been, I think people would have a more upbeat opinion overall. 1.09 was a long time coming. Now it feels like they launched a broken product because of the numerous issues, a stigma which remains attached to the game despite it’s overall improved state post 1.10. Another would be to reconsider the application, if not implementation altogether, of HR/9 in H2H. Not only is it in need of tuning down, it appears to have been designed and applied in an impractical manner, meaning 115mph fly balls inexplicably fail to clear the wall. With some foresight this could have been avoided and again, would have negated some heavy criticism from the community that continues to dog the reputation of this years game. 

5/18/2019 3:25PM PDT

Still lining out at an overly excessive rate but I have noticed more hit variety since these last few patches. More soft liners falling in, not just bloops or line drives. 

5/18/2019 3:27PM PDT

Had you posted this at the beginning of this year, I would agree with you completely. 1st season in Ranked was amazing. Hitting was fun, it felt like I was in control and being rewarded when I did good. Now, most of my hits come when I mess up and when I square it up, it is almost always a hard hit out. Ranked at DS/CS/WS level has become unplayable for me. All games are 1-0 or 2-1 and the runs scored are usually on flukes, errors, or cheese. It's just not fun anymore. I will say that all star is fine. The event was fun and hitting was improved with this last patch. HOF, not so much.

5/18/2019 3:35PM PDT

Yea you are wrong.  This game is a random series of outcomes and that’s not because I’m failing.  So no to everything you just said.  If you think this game is good then you are just not a good judge of gameplay.  This game isn’t competitive whatsoever. It doesn’t take any skill at all.  You press a button and regardless of timing or pci placement a series of unlimited outcomes can occur.  Proof this game is random.  

5/18/2019 3:47PM PDT

I’m gonna assume you don’t play on HOF/Legend. Which is fine but there’s no way you think there’s a balance of user input and player attributes if you do 

Comment by lReversaL-
5/18/2019 3:09PM PDT

All casual play is on all-star, and I’ve played plenty of games above that.

5/18/2019 3:53PM PDT

Yea you are wrong.  This game is a random series of outcomes and that’s not because I’m failing.  So no to everything you just said.  If you think this game is good then you are just not a good judge of gameplay.  This game isn’t competitive whatsoever. It doesn’t take any skill at all.  You press a button and regardless of timing or pci placement a series of unlimited outcomes can occur.  Proof this game is random.  

Comment by xST3ROiiDzZ

For a guy that hates the game so much, you certainly play a lot and post even more. Maybe this game isnt for you and it's time to move on

5/18/2019 3:55PM PDT

For a guy that hates the game so much, you certainly play a lot and post even more. Maybe this game isnt for you and it's time to move on

Comment by Rabid55Wolverine
5/18/2019 3:55PM PDT

That’s one thing I don’t understand. People complain constantly, yet they keep playing.

5/18/2019 3:57PM PDT

That’s one thing I don’t understand. People complain constantly, yet they keep playing.

Comment by UnequalCommunism
5/18/2019 3:57PM PDT

Not only that but they constantly complain that fanboys come into every thread and stick up for the game and sds yet all the complainers do the same when someone tries to say they enjoy the game. This forum is a toxic mess. So many complaining posts covering some decent ones 

5/18/2019 3:59PM PDT

Comment by xST3ROiiDzZ

Why do you hide your game history / profile

Why do you hide your game history / profile

Comment by YuBuuBuu

Why does that matter?

5/18/2019 4:02PM PDT

I agree for the most part.  AS is definitely fun, HOF is a bit different but still a lot of fun.  Still lots of hits and decent scoring but legend is just pretty boring. It feels like I’m player 18 again with nothing but lower power guys.  Everything is a pretty weak fly ball. I don’t care too much because I’m not trying to get to that top fifty thing but last year even after I made WS I would still play RS to try different players or just play competitive games.  This year each time I have made ws I just stopped playing rs because legend is such a grind. 

5/18/2019 4:13PM PDT

I played a kershaw vs kershaw on AS I thought it was HOF with the hitting results and feedback

5/18/2019 4:16PM PDT

This year's game is definitely more fun than '18, in every way, but the gameplay is not as quite as good as their '16 or '17 versions.

5/18/2019 4:33PM PDT

Since it seems the only comments about hitting are from people who blame the game on their failures, I, an avid player for almost 10 years, just want to give my piece.

This is the best balance of user input and player stat outcome I’ve seen. It feels like the I am actually hitting again, not some random result based off stats.

I am very satisfied with this game. Some kinks to work out with some animations, but overall I’m impressed.

Thoughts on hitting from people who do something other than complain all the time?

Let me guess, you made CS for the first time ever?

5/18/2019 4:39PM PDT

Let me guess, you made CS for the first time ever?

Comment by D_e_m_I_s_E
5/18/2019 4:39PM PDT

Let me guess, you parents don’t love you?

5/18/2019 4:42PM PDT

Let me preface this by saying this is the most fun I've had playing The Show in a long time. There was FINALLY no real online hiccup at game launch, and I have had minimal server issues in nearly 200 games played. 

However, there are still way too many lineouts when squaring the ball up perfectly with the PCI on HOF/Legend. I actually won a game earlier today because my opponent kept lining out to my fielders despite squaring the ball up. In all honesty, it shouldn't be like that.

5/18/2019 4:45PM PDT

If I have

15 perfect swings, 10 good swings, and 2 poor swings... and get 5 hits, 3 runs... 

and my opponent has

3 perfect swings, 5 good swings, and 19 poor swings... and gets 3 hits, 2 runs... 

then just because I win, does NOT mean this game was skill-based. 

Sure, someone gets a slight advantage by being better, but the outcomes are still so random, literally anything can happen.  

When I play significantly better, I want to win at least 95% of the time, not 60% of the time. 

5/18/2019 5:48PM PDT

i agree with you mate it feels really good and im loving this version more than the previous years

5/18/2019 5:51PM PDT

I'm going to start by saying that I am in no way a fan boy. If you've read some of my posts in previous years, I've taken sds to task on a number of things. That being said, I'm actually starting to enjoy this version again. 

I'm only at AS in ranked seasons and play most of my time against the CPU on veteran through to hof, mostly the latter. After the last patch, in my experience at least, the game has improved since the last patch. My input on pitching and hitting seems to matter more.

I don't think it's as good as 16's hitting engine and I think 17 had the perfect mix when it came to pitching, but I'm enjoying it more.

Yes, I know I'm a scrub online but I make no apologies for enjoying the game offline.

5/18/2019 6:20PM PDT

1000 times better than last year. I quit in April last year.

5/18/2019 6:22PM PDT

If I have

15 perfect swings, 10 good swings, and 2 poor swings... and get 5 hits, 3 runs... 

and my opponent has

3 perfect swings, 5 good swings, and 19 poor swings... and gets 3 hits, 2 runs... 

then just because I win, does NOT mean this game was skill-based. 

Sure, someone gets a slight advantage by being better, but the outcomes are still so random, literally anything can happen.  

When I play significantly better, I want to win at least 95% of the time, not 60% of the time. 

Comment by Studman7
5/18/2019 5:48PM PDT

It’s almost like the better team doesn’t always win.

Oh wait. They don’t.

The best team in baseball isn’t going to win 95% of their games because they’re better than everyone else. They’ll win 60% and Finish with 97 wins.

5/18/2019 6:25PM PDT

Completely disagree, played many of baseball games in my day and this is literal horse *** at this point. Taking skill out of a game is what they are trying to do. If you are enjoying it, then congratulations. You are who they are trying to cater to. I remember 17 when I could put up 30 runs on rookie without trying. I could put 12 up on anyone who was feeble opponent. 18 came out and I literally sold my ps4, played 1/3 of the games I'd normally would. It was such a train wreck, that feeling is creeping back. I just wish someone else could make a decent baseball game. Even the people these guys sponsor are douchebags....

5/18/2019 6:37PM PDT