You must have Javascript enabled to view this content.

If I run out of bench players and pinch hit with one of my SPs, in the next inning he is forced to face a batter - I am unable to replace him with another pitcher. That does not make sense - shouldn't I get the option to replace him? I don't get the 'you have a position player on the mound' because he's a pitcher but it should give me the option to change him.

I can't imagine it's an MLB rule that's behind this. And I wouldn't class it as a bug however I'm tempted to submit a bug report in the hope that it will be fixed up for next year's game.

4/13/2019 7:14AM PDT

It's not the MLB rule, but I noticed the same thing during my initial MTO.  I believe I brought in a pitcher as a pinch hitter because he was a much better bunter than the pitcher already in

4/13/2019 7:20AM PDT

i hit an rbi single with johnny venters in the top of the 18th inning last night 

i also have nothing valuable to add to the conversation

4/13/2019 7:34AM PDT

It is actually a rule. 5.10(g):

"If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire-in-chief’s judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher."

They have to enforce this on pinch-hit pitchers also or managers would just use it to game the system.

4/13/2019 7:39AM PDT

"If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire-in-chief’s judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher."

They have to enforce this on pinch-hit pitchers also or managers would just use it to game the system.

Comment by Qeltar_

Cardinals are known for pinch hitting waino in games and are allowed to sub him out. Because he's used as a pinch hitter not as a pitcher.

4/13/2019 8:55AM PDT

Comment by Qeltar_

I'm curious how managers would use this to game the system?  The rule that you copied and pasted refers to replacing a pitcher while pitching not as a pinch hitter.

4/13/2019 9:18AM PDT

It does imply the pitcher on the mound.

Oddly I can't find a specific rule in the rulebook on this.

4/13/2019 9:30AM PDT